Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Should LowEndTalk be a community or a business?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

POLL: Should LowEndTalk be a community or a business?

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2013 in General

Seeing as quite a few people have been saying "that's just business" in response to the thread about LowEndTalk policy and ownership, here's a poll to clear up what people think LowEndTalk should be. Click an answer to vote. Note that this is about LowEndTalk, not about LowEndBox (the blog).

POLL: Should LowEndTalk primarily be a community or a business?

Or, go to the results.

This is a question about what LowEndTalk should be, not what it is or can be.

Comments

• jhjh Member

Should be a community. From the other thread I'm guessing it's a business.

• who voted for business?.. @_@

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited March 2013

hax
    EDIT: no moar hax

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jhadley said: Should be a community.

true

• COMMUNITY.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013

I'd like to feel like part of a community. On the other hand LET already what i.e a website with an owner, so i guess it's a business. But this doesn't mean the people who visit LET can't be a community at the same time.

• LeeLee Veteran

I had to vote business, that is clearly what it is. Now should it be a community in the sense of a community that is not constrained in some areas due to it being a business?

I prefer sites that I visit and participate on to be truly community based, it's more rewarding in my view that you are doing it for the members and not to help fill a bank account.

Would I contribute more and be more useful to LET if it was shall we say more like it used to be? Yes, definitely. Do I just amble by here because I don't really like the way it's run? Yup.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

I'd like to emphasize that this question is about what it should be, not about what it is or can be.

• @joepie91 said: I'd like to emphasize that this question is about what it should be, not about what it is.

fix the XSS

• @joepie91 said: this question is about what it should be

Well, unless someone is willing to put up $10k (or whatever the price is) and buy it from the current owner and then turn it to something else...

• edited March 2013

I think it can be both.

It's a community RAN BY businesses. 80% of the people here are providers.

@Bogdacutuu said: fix the XSS

You should probably contact the administrators of the poll site about that, not me.

• Can you add a "both" option?

• 80% of the people here are providers.

That's some weird stuff. I observe the high percent of providers too.

Again, I think the site activity, usage, etc. are bogus inflations. Don't see the masses posting. Just the milk cows, I mean providers.

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 said: I'd like to emphasize that this question is about what it should be, not about what it is.

I know but it's the wrong question in the context you are asking, hence my clarification :P

edited March 2013

@Bogdacutuu said: Can you add a "both" option?

No. That's why the question said 'primarily' - I'm looking for what people consider the most important of the two.

@W1V_Lee said: I know but it's the wrong question in the context you are asking, hence my clarification :P

No, not really. I am interested in knowing what people want it to be, not what people think it can be - that has already become more than clear from the existing threads.

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2013

@rds100 said: Well, unless someone is willing to put up $10k (or whatever the price is) and buy it from the current owner and then turn it to something else...

I'll create a forum and we'll see how many people stick to their guns ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@joepie91 said: I'd like to emphasize that this question is about what it should be, not about what it is or can be.

Right. In that spirit, it should be a community.

But to some extent, it must be a business. The server, bandwidth, DDOS protection (is there some?), etc. all require money. Probably more than could be raised by just passing the hat.

Perhaps "nonprofit" is the best word. I think the ad revenue paying of the servers is a fundamental part of paying for LEB/LET.

• LeeLee Veteran

@jhadley said: I'll create a forum and we'll see how many people stick to their guns ;)

If you build it they will come...

But will be back here within 3 days :)

• DDOS protection (is there some?),

CC doesn't have/offer DDoS protection. Looks like Cloduflare is what these sites use. Paid account I presume.

Running this site doesn't cost much. Dedicated server $300/mo TOPS. Which is utter overkill for what these are. Bandwidth, probably doesn't max out their allocated plan. Cloduflare? $250 a month?

$600 so far a month. Aren't even at 10% of the ad income. Yeah I know, they don't get 100% of their ad income.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

CloudFlare = $20, VPS = $20. Site costs $40/mo to run :)

• Could be @shovenose.

• community

• definitely community.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

It is a community based business. The management I believe can generate money from the website while staying impartial.

As long as there are guidelines then there shouldn't be an issue in staying fair.

• VladorzVladorz Member
    edited March 2013

community!
    i think profit should always be on the second place when it comes to forums, blogs or any community based website. don't take me wrong. I get the fact that the site owner needs to earn some money too but it shouldn't be his primary concern... after all if it weren't for the community he wouldn't make a penny

• The management I believe can generate money from the website while staying impartial.

^ this....

Good luck with that pipe dream. The impartial part.

@httpzoom said: It is a community based business. The management I believe can generate money from the website while staying impartial.

And once again, I am not asking about what it is or can be, I am asking about what it should be.

I don't get why it's so hard to read the question.

• Trust me the 20 dollar cloudflare option is now what they're using here, it's either the 200 or 3000 plan. I suspect it's the 3000 plan.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

It should be a community based business.