Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solusvm alternative? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solusvm alternative?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Looks great, that is not a solusvm competitor though, it is 600% more expensive and Saas.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Looks great, that is not a solusvm competitor though, it is 600% more expensive and Saas.

This is incorrect, it is $16/Mo/node for a solusvm alternative (machines bigger than 64gb ram). Our complete edition is an alternative to onapp - in order to offer HA with onapp the minimum cost is $1200/Mo (taken from onapp website 2015, currently onapp requires you to contact them for a quote).

edited September 2016

DETio said: We're not really targeting to be like Solus, but an alternative to Solus. For example, our Minified Edition follows much of DigitalOcean's path - and covers the majority of features that DigitalOcean offers. By the time we end feature development of our Minified edition, it will include at-least all or atleast the majority of what DigitalOcean offers.

Now, DigitalOcean is a competitor to all the providers that use SolusVM - so through that way it is an alternative. Not that it is a product that works like SolusVM.

Yep sure, I am just saying that you are in no way enticing any of the market share away from solusvm with this, so you are essentially an OnAPP competitor.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@AnthonySmith said:

Yep sure, I am just saying that you are in no way enticing any of the market share away from solusvm with this, so you are essentially an OnAPP competitor.

Just because our base cost for the minified edition is a little bit higher than solus for larger machines doesn't mean we won't be offering promotions when our migration tools are ready (allowing you to install the platform over your current solus setup) with price matches - meaning you don't have to pay more than your current deployment when migrating.

Just to note, the SaaS thing is temporary till we can figuire out a way to block the client from modifying the front end UI and removing our branding (since the minified edition is in no way white label)

Thanked by 1BlazingServers
  • BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@DETio said:
    Just because our base cost for the minified edition is a little bit higher than solus for larger machines doesn't mean we won't be offering promotions when our migration tools are ready (allowing you to install the platform over your current solus setup) with price matches - meaning you don't have to pay more than your current deployment when migrating.

Seems good.

DETio said: Just because our base cost for the minified edition is a little bit higher than solus for larger machines doesn't mean we won't be offering promotions when our migration tools are ready (allowing you to install the platform over your current solus setup) with price matches - meaning you don't have to pay more than your current deployment when migrating.

Great, well if that's the case it sounds like a winner, I dont mind doubling my solusvm prices to get a functional panel that has active support and development, I tend to stay away from little 32GB nodes though so your price per node for me sky rockets compared to solusvm.

OnApp_Terry said: SolusVM is being actively maintained and developed. The holiday season has slowed things, however everyone is back in the office so we will continue to make good progress and should have more information for you in just a few weeks.

I know it doesn't answer the question of "When is Solus 2 coming?!" Trust me, I wish I could give you that information -- there is a goal date, and it is in 2016 -- but we don't want to tell you inaccurate information.

haha, no updates at all or meaningful support for 2 years and you blame the holiday period? haha, I hope you hung your head and shook it a bit after posting this.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@AnthonySmith said:
    Great, well if that's the case it sounds like a winner, I dont mind doubling my solusvm prices to get a functional panel that has active support and development, I tend to stay away from little 32GB nodes though so your price per node for me sky rockets compared to solusvm.

Yeah we understand that bigger providers might be utilizing more sophisticated hypervisors, and was one of the reasons we decided to offer a pricing model that suits the smaller providers that don't get much of a break these days.

None the less, our complete edition will be much more affordable and just as effective than OnApp (if not more) - which is something we can guarantee :)

The pricing model you also see is in place for monthly, no minimum costs - where-as bigger providers who are ready to sign contracts will be able to achieve lower costs.

Our goals also include ensuring all our features are beneficial to the providers marketing.

For example, our complete edition allows you to compete in the following industries:

• Infrastructure-as-a-Service - eg:

• AWS
      • Century Link Cloud
      • Azure
      • Google Cloud Platform
    • Containers-as-a-Service - eg:

• Joyent
      • Hyper.sh
    • Platform-as-a-Service - eg:

• IBM Bluemix
      • Heroku
      • OpenShift
      • Google Cloud Platform
    • Storage-as-a-Service - eg:

• BlackBlaze
      • Google Cloud Storage
      • Azure Storage
      • Amazon Simple Storage
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@joepie91 said:

seriesn said: Do you really think after investing that much money Onapp will drop solus? Highly doubt that from a business standpoint.

You're assuming that the reason OnApp bought SolusVM is to continue its development. Right now, the more likely explanation seems to be that it was a competitor buy-out.

SolusVM is bank roll, nothing more.

Lets be real, Solus was never going to be adding 'cloud features' like HA, shared storage, or things like that. We've both seen the code, if they didn't have some easy wrapper doing the heavy lifting it was a no-go.

Francisco

Fair point. With the piles of duct tape in their codebase, I'd say that any kind of feature addition (let alone an architectural overhaul) is going to be a ton of work. And that's assuming that they don't just write spaghetti code again...

edited September 2016

DETio said: Just to note, the SaaS thing is temporary till we can figuire out a way to block the client from modifying the front end UI and removing our branding (since the minified edition is in no way white label)

That's a legal problem, not a technical problem. You cannot prevent it by technical means. Just make it not allowed under your terms, problem solved.

Thanked by 1DETio
  • joepie91 said: That's a legal problem, not a technical problem. You cannot prevent it by technical means. Just make it not allowed under your terms, problem solved.

Might take that approach, thanks for your suggestion.

Thanked by 1joepie91

joepie91 said: Just to note, the SaaS thing is temporary till we can figuire out a way to block the client from modifying the front end UI and removing our branding

You could also take the WHMCS approach, just tag $2 p/month on the license for an unbranded option, its not like it 'really' affects you, the end users are not the ones paying your license fee.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@AnthonySmith said:

joepie91 said: Just to note, the SaaS thing is temporary till we can figuire out a way to block the client from modifying the front end UI and removing our branding

You could also take the WHMCS approach, just tag $2 p/month on the license for an unbranded option, its not like it 'really' affects you, the end users are not the ones paying your license fee.

The backlink is there for two reasons:

• SEO Optimization for VirtEngine.com (backlinks)
    • For competitors to know what you are using.
    • To cross market our Private Cloud platform to your end-users.
    edited September 2016

Well, I don't care really, I don't use unbranded whmcs, if you want to levy free advertising from your paying customers that is up to you but I think the revenue from all the unbranded license extras would out weigh the benefit if you went that way.

Competitors will know anyway, it's not like there is a lot of choice, modify the hell out of whmcs or solusvm, I will still know what it is in 5 seconds.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Well, I don't care really, I don't use unbranded whmcs, if you want to levy free advertising from your paying customers that is up to you but I think the revenue from all the unbranded license extras would out weigh the benefit if you went that way.

Competitors will know anyway, it's not like there is a lot of choice, modify the hell out of whmcs or solusvm, I will still know what it is in 5 seconds.

Yes, but that's because WHMCS & SolusVM are already well known. VirtEngine on the other hand is a new player so we have a larger interest in Backlinks.

@DETio said:

joepie91 said: That's a legal problem, not a technical problem. You cannot prevent it by technical means. Just make it not allowed under your terms, problem solved.

Might take that approach, thanks for your suggestion.

I have to say that that's a much better response than I usually get to this kind of suggestion - most people just outright dismiss it, because they're already set on solving it in a technical manner no matter what.

I just wanted to explicitly point that out - it's a good sign that you're taking suggestions seriously, and it's something I'd like to see more developers/providers do :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I've been talking daily to @DETio and I assure he knows what his team is doing... And they're doing it pretty well.
    I'm excited for the release!

Thanked by 1DETio
  • @DETio said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Yes, but that's because WHMCS & SolusVM are already well known. VirtEngine on the other hand is a new player so we have a larger interest in Backlinks.

There is no security through obscurity. Trying to block something will only make some more determined to do it just to beat it and stick it to you. You are always going to have users do things you did not intend for them to do.

Also IMHO, if you have to rely on paying customers for free SEO/advertising there's something wrong there. Charge more if its a financial issue, but that should not be in your business model.

• SolusVM Code is terribly formatted.

I've got a quite a few files decrypted, jesus the way they use syntaxs.

I stick with Virtualizor anyday now over Solus.

• Foul said: I've got a quite a few files decrypted, jesus the way they use syntaxs.

I heard they picked up HyperVM and tried to build on top of it.

• DETio said: SEO Optimization for VirtEngine.com

Although your responses here are quite professional and open to suggestions, this attitude as a company to use paid customers as advertisers even if they will not be used that way (e.g. pay to get a white labeled panel) is poor... Maybe you should think again this model. Valid companies should spend money to advertise their product, there are a lot of ways to do that: on line banners, free credits for using the product, generous discounts to new customers, participating to technical forums etc.

• @jvnadr said:

DETio said: SEO Optimization for VirtEngine.com

Although your responses here are quite professional and open to suggestions, this attitude as a company to use paid customers as advertisers even if they will not be used that way (e.g. pay to get a white labeled panel) is poor... Maybe you should think again this model. Valid companies should spend money to advertise their product, there are a lot of ways to do that: on line banners, free credits for using the product, generous discounts to new customers, participating to technical forums etc.

Unfortunately it's a proven and successful marketing strategy that will help us get the platform out.

• @DETio said:

@jvnadr said:

Unfortunately it's a proven and successful marketing strategy that will help us get the platform out.

that is why paying people refuse to be guinea pigs and won't buy/use your product then lol.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

timnboys said: that is why paying people refuse to be guinea pigs and won't buy/use your product then lol.

Sure, we understand that some providers want white-label. That's why in that scenario the provider needs to be willing to pay for the Complete edition which allows the provider to remove the backlink within the settings.

• @DETio said:

@jvnadr said:

You have previous experience with advertising/marketing? I want proof of success on your "strategy." Also, stick a notification bar on your site saying "we're using you," and we'll be good.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

doghouch said: You have previous experience with advertising/marketing? I want proof of success on your "strategy." Also, stick a notification bar on your site saying "we're using you," and we'll be good.

Regarding proof, I can't give you that unfortunately but I've witnessed companies grow using it. For example WHMCS, when I was still new to the hosting industry I was introduced to WHMCS via Back-links from other hosting providers my self.

The backlink is very small and unobtrusive sitting in the footer, the provider has nothing to worry about - none of VirtEngine's products compete with the Hosting Industry. We are however able to offer the following to the end-user:

SMB / Individual:

• Open-Source private cloud (We will be releasing an opensource private cloud edition).
      • Platform-as-a-Service : Launch custom/catalog applications in minutes.
        • Scale applications with loadbalancers automatically.
      • Virtual Machines
      • && all minified edition fearures

Enterprise:

• Enterprise private cloud.
      • All the above
      • All complete edition features.
        • Object Storage
        • Multi-region deployments
        • Automated Installation
        • High Availability
        • Containers

Where-as the above private cloud products can be directly offered by the Hosting Provider in the complete edition, as you can see in the feature comparison there is 'Virtual Private Cloud' - basically installing a private cloud for your client on dedicated servers.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

jh said: I heard they picked up HyperVM and tried to build on top of it.

Jesus Christ!

• @DETio said:

Det.io: page not found

• @XIAOSpider97 said:

@DETio said:

Det.io: page not found

Was just updating it :-) Should work now.

• Recently we have been facing too many issues with solusvm on ovh based server. While adding additional ips on centos7 template the ips were not getting added. So after discussing with solusvm they had asked to use the onapp based centos template which worked fine. And the second issue was on centos 6 where secondary IPs were not getting ping. Finally had to add modify some files after discussing with the solusvm team.