Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dollar For Dollar | Features For Features | OVH - BuyVM? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dollar For Dollar | Features For Features | OVH - BuyVM?

13»

Comments

• @karatekidmonkey said:

Damian said: The other company is an enormous faceless monster that will try to jerk you off on their one-response-per-day responses. Seriously, if you expect an interactive conversation from them when your service is offline or broken, you'll be disappointed. Additionally, they receive enormous subsidies from the French government;

Wot? The last time I had a chat with OVH Support, the guy activated my services immediately + he even made a joke at the end!

EDIT: He also had a really nice French accent too!

Really? I just talk in French to them and they're very helpful.

Vous devriez apprendre le français, c'est très facile si vous saviez le langue d'espagnol.

• Update: I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 server, I've also installed a control panel(a cpanel alternative) for the ease of use(for now) and I've also setup name servers and have got them pointed at my domain. Been slow going, cause of my internet being capped at 200kbps, but, seems its more like 56kbps. haha.

• when slices on new jersey?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@smicroz said:
    when slices on new jersey?

Soonish.

We're looking to also get them setup in LU around the same time :)

Francisco

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited September 2016

@Francisco

Maybe an uncommon question... Do you support nested KVM on these new products?

Edit: I remember this thread https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/9809/providers-that-support-nested-virtualiztion-running-kvm-hvm and this one https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/50430/cheap-kvms-that-allow-nested-virtualisation and I am thinking about bumping it... At the end, almost nobody supports this. Hopefully DO still does it?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yomero said:
    @Francisco

Maybe an uncommon question... Do you support nested KVM on these new products?

Edit: I remember this thread https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/9809/providers-that-support-nested-virtualiztion-running-kvm-hvm and I am thinking about bumping it... At the end, almost nobody supports this. Hopefully DO still does it?

No, but I'm sure we could easily add it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Francisco said: No, but I'm sure we could easily add it.

Interested on this, probably that would make me it a great deal for my preferred setup, using them as a "dedicated" server.

• Update: It has been pretty smooth sailing thus far. I've been trying different control panels, alone with different OS's, just seeing what works and what best suits.

As @Francisco can verify. I have not once sent a ticket in, and probably wont, unless my VPS goes completely down.

Disk I/O: 400+MB/s: I've seen it go up towards 500MB/s.
    Note the image below: the Debian OS is in a blank state. Even so, when running Ubuntu +webmin/virtualmin it still hovers about the same as with a blank state.

I figured Webmin/Virtualmin route would be the winner. but as it is very CPU intensive. e.g, installing updates or installing add-on's, the cpu will jump to 100% and it will stay like that until the event is done. i had to put a stop to that. If i was on the $15 plan i wouldn't worry about it, since the plan i am on is fair share, I'm not taking my chances.

Beside that, I'm really loving the server, for the price and performance, you can't get much better then that. And in so, i will be purchasing more in the future. But, first, lets see how it performs in a month or two.