Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dollar For Dollar | Features For Features | OVH - BuyVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dollar For Dollar | Features For Features | OVH - BuyVM?

LandofnoneLandofnone Member
edited August 2016 in General

For a pack of cigarettes. i could get a virtual private server to play around with, while learning administration knowledge and use it for production use.

So, dollar for dollar and features for features. Which one would you use/purchase

Dollar For Dollar Value
  1. Dollar Value - Feature Value98 votes
    1. BuyVM
      40.82%
    2. OVH
      59.18%

Comments

• buyvm

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Landofnone said: while learning administration knowledge and use it for production use

thanks, that made my day! :)

• LandofnoneLandofnone Member
    edited August 2016

You people sure know how to make a guy feel welcome by making assumptions.

production use: as in hosting websites of my own. you know the ones that are online like, blogs and forums. etc etc. Not for selling web hosting from these 3 dollar virtual private servers.

learning administration knowledge: Well, this one is quite obvious. But, i wanted to learn administration knowledge outside of a laptop with webmin.

• Do you want support? It's a bit arsey and can piss you off but he works his arse off to fix issues

I was on about Fran not Aldryic :P

BuyVM, best choice about espeicially with those tasty slices, the choice is a piece of cake (pun intended)

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Landofnone said:
    You people sure know how to make a guy feel welcome by making assumptions.

production use: as in hosting websites of my own. you know the ones that are online like, blogs and forums. etc etc. Not for selling web hosting from these 3 dollar virtual private servers.

learning administration knowledge: Well, this one is quite obvious. But, i wanted to learn administration knowledge outside of a laptop with webmin.

still those two things above are mutually exclusive. production use implies you need the service in the working state, while it is normal to breaks things often while learning something..

and ofc you're welcome

• @OpticalSwoosh said:
    Do you want support? It's a bit arsey and can piss you off but he works his arse off to fix issues

BuyVM, best choice about espeicially with those tasty slices, the choice is a piece of cake (pun intended)

The only support i would probably ever need would be if it is on their end. Since i don't have magical hands. Thus, i can't send my hand to the data center to fix the issues. lol

Only reason that i was going to go with OVH, is the claim of 32TB bandwidth on all their virtual private servers. With limits i know. Something about it is not guaranteed if you use game servers, and or, very intensive bandwidth applications.

• @Landofnone said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    Do you want support? It's a bit arsey and can piss you off but he works his arse off to fix issues

The only support i would probably ever need would be if it is on their end. Since i don't have magical hands. Thus, i can't send my hand to the data center to fix the issues. lol

Only reason that i was going to go with OVH, is the claim of 32TB bandwidth on all their virtual private servers. With limits i know. Something about it is not guaranteed if you use game servers, and or, very intensive bandwidth applications.

BuyVM is superior other than BW quantity, but depends who you are quality or quantity?

• flexflex Member

flip a coin, both are good :)

• exception0x876 said: still those two things above are mutually exclusive. production use implies you need the service in the working state, while it is normal to breaks things often while learning something..

and ofc you're welcome

Are you saying that, it is wrong to want to learn administration knowledge while also running websites from the same box that i am learning administration from?

Because, i don't see, how i would ever learn. I could in theory, learn everything there is about running a server. but when it comes time running a production site. i would be at a lost. Perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Landofnone said:

exception0x876 said: still those two things above are mutually exclusive. production use implies you need the service in the working state, while it is normal to breaks things often while learning something..

and ofc you're welcome

Are you saying that, it is wrong to want to learn administration knowledge while also running websites from the same box that i am learning administration from?

Because, i don't see, how i would ever learn. I could in theory, learn everything there is about running a server. but when it comes time running a production site. i would be at a lost. Perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way.

'Production' can be taken a number of different ways. People here generally take it mean 'something that matters', in which case, no, you do not do your learning on something that matters, because you will fuck things up and have to fix it all, potentially very quickly.

If your 'production' is something no one really gives a fuck about, do what you like.

• You know, i didn't come here to get ridiculed. But i suppose that is just the nature this site and its members. No one cares about the novices in the industry. You either got the skills or you don't. I've been seeing this trend for 25 years.

• irmirm Member
    edited August 2016

Landofnone said: You know, i didn't come here to get ridiculed. But i suppose that is just the nature this site and its members. No one cares about the novices in the industry. You either got the skills or you don't. I've been seeing this trend for 25 years.

Unless an admin/mod deleted posts, im not seeing where you got ridiculed.... Are you sure you're not just being overly touchy and taking the advice people are giving you in this thread poorly?

Because what @Nekki and @exception0x876 have expressed in this thread aren't ridicule at all lol...

• Well, @irm what @Nekki and @exception0x876 said, isn't no where near advice at all. but more like, what they believe what "Production use" stand for. @exception0x876 first post, is again more like assumption, then advice.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why would you need to use 32tb bw for a test/production vps?

Buyvm, btw

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Landofnone said:
    Well, @irm what @Nekki and @exception0x876 said, isn't no where near advice at all. but more like, what they believe what "Production use" stand for. @exception0x876 first post, is again more like assumption, then advice.

I try to be nice and this is what happens :-/

• irmirm Member
    edited August 2016

@Landofnone said:
    Well, @irm what @Nekki and @exception0x876 said, isn't no where near advice at all. but more like, what they believe what "Production use" stand for. @exception0x876 first post, is again more like assumption, then advice.

(i suck at explaining shit so here goes)

Basically what they're saying is that the fact that you want a server to both learn on and host production level things on is not going to happen which is why they found it funny (and then they explained this to you).

"Production" (my personal definition and I guess many people may share it as well) is usually defined as a server that's stable and hosts mission critical data/applications/etc and therefore requires impeccable uptime and reliability.

Learning how to administrate a server is great, but they're also telling you that if you want to learn how to administrate a server, it shouldn't be done on a "production" server that'll be hosting live content because when you're learning, you're going to break shit, and it's going to break OFTEN.

Basically, if you want to have a stable production server while learning how to administrate servers, you should be buying multiple VPS' and have two or more servers. You do your initial content roll out on your production server and then do an exact copy of this roll out on your learning/test server. You then do your testing, learning and administration on your test server and once the changes you do and whatever else you do on your test server is proven to be working as intended and stable you would then push these changes to your production server as to minimize downtime/errors and so on.

As far as deciding between the two hosts you mentioned above go, i've used both extensively (currently have 7+ VPS' with OVH and had ~5-6+ VPS' with BuyVM and eventually had to part ways with them due to billing issues between myself and Aldyric). Both hosts are more than fine and stable enough to learn on and host content on with relatively decent uptime.

My opinion = Go with BuyVM. Fransisco is extremely approachable and will guide you in the right direction on a lot of subjects as long as you're not asking him to flat out manage your servers or some shit. While their IRC (last time I was in it) had a lot of "strong" personalities, there's also a lot of extremely helpful people in there that will also assist you and guide you.

• sinsin Member
    edited August 2016

I haven't used BuyVM so I can't comment on them but the OVH VPSes are great.

• Yes Fransisco is a nice guy, from what i seem to get from him. Perhaps I'll just up my 2 packs of cigarettes cash, couple more dollars or so. thus, i can just buy both. While also pulling my hair out from the lack of nicotine. lol

• OVH and BuyVM are both 50/50 with a vote of 22. I till take that as too buy both. OVH has more bandwidth availability, i will use that as a test VPS. While using BuyVM for production.

Once i feel comfortable and have the knowledge of managing servers. I will start my experimentation project.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

OVH are in front.

• TionTion Member

I wouldnt count my blog with 5 UV per day production.

edited August 2016

Enough with the production shit. Bad choice of words on my part. I get it already.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2016

Another quantification:

One company is run by human beings that you can contact if you have a problem with the service. You won't be shuttled department to department or given shitty "We're working on it but have no ETA. Your business is very important to us" blah blah blah responses. Their responses are terse, but they're to the point and no-bullshit; you're buying a service from a business, you're not looking to buy friendship, right? They've built everything from the ground up with hard work and good service.

The other company is an enormous faceless monster that will try to jerk you off on their one-response-per-day responses. Seriously, if you expect an interactive conversation from them when your service is offline or broken, you'll be disappointed. Additionally, they receive enormous subsidies from the French government; their offerings are not sustainable as-is, which means they don't really need to hold onto your business. At the end of the day they're going to get paid regardless if you're able to do anything useful with your service or not.

BuyVM also has a consistence presence here in this forum. OVH, despite being discussed nearly constantly here, refuses to participate in any capacity.

A pack of cigarettes will last you 1/2 to 2 days. Buy both and have service all month. Make your own decision.

Thanked by 2doughmanes kkrajk
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited August 2016

Terrible comparison. One of the companies in poll above doing business, another one doing hobby which is not even close to business. Here at LET a lot of another much better alternatives. I would not recommend to use the services of those who are experiencing personal dislike and hate to people.

• @desperand What would you recommend then.

• When I was learnings the basics, I'd install stuff on my local machine.

As for those providers, both good.

edited August 2016

@ricardo said:
    When I was learnings the basics, I'd install stuff on my local machine.

As for those providers, both good.

That is what I've been doing. At this point in time, i would to go to the next level of being on an actual server environment. And not just a laptop with server related software installed.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited August 2016

Do you have your preferred OS for servers installed locally too? You'll find there's very little difference. I do tend to develop on the server side nowadays though, as the servers are geographically close and I don't notice the latency, and they're dedicated servers so the environment is fully exposed to me.

ATM I have Ubuntu 16 on my laptop, and Ubuntu/Debian on a bunch of other servers. I choose OVH due to their pricing and locality... a bunch of them use sshfs and are connected to one another. IMHO there isn't a huge difference between learning stuff locally and on a machine you pay for, though for many people you'll get a superior network to use with a provider compared to your home/local ISP (16Mbps vs 1Gbps for me).

• Well, my preferred OS is Linux of course. i am running Arch Linux on my main machine. My laptop is running Linux mint on external 1TB HD. As i installed my laptop HD on a spare Laptop i had given to a family member.

If i am going to be running experimentation for difference software uses, my Connection isn't stable for downloading large files. And with that. My connection also comes to a speed of 200kbps at 5pm. I figured if I'm going to learn anything about managing servers. I might as well get a VPS with the network to support downloading the needed files.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2016

Yummy yummy slices.

We have been looking to move things into unmetered bandwidth on all slice and storage plans, we are just hashing out contracts right now.

:)

Francisco