Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dollar For Dollar | Features For Features | OVH - BuyVM? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dollar For Dollar | Features For Features | OVH - BuyVM?

Comments

• @Francisco said:
    Yummy yummy slices.

We have been looking to move things into unmetered bandwidth on all slice and storage plans, we are just hashing out contracts right now.

:)

Francisco

So, a 100Mbps at 32TB per month per plan. That would be nice. i would expect prices to also go up then. However, once i figure out what that extra cash will entail. like i said in the Email. You should be seeing me in a few days.

If everything "does" goes to plan. We should be seeing each other for long term. Even if i have to pick up dog shit to fund this project of mine.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

....We're not increasing our pricing. We've never, ever, raised prices on anything. What will happen is all slices will become retroactive fair share unmetered :)

Francisco

• UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited August 2016

Damian said: The other company is an enormous faceless monster that will try to jerk you off on their one-response-per-day responses. Seriously, if you expect an interactive conversation from them when your service is offline or broken, you'll be disappointed. Additionally, they receive enormous subsidies from the French government;

Wot? The last time I had a chat with OVH Support, the guy activated my services immediately + he even made a joke at the end!

EDIT: He also had a really nice French accent too!

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@karatekidmonkey you found someone who spoke english? Wow.

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited August 2016

In my view comparing BuyVM and OVH is like comparing your local corner shop who takes pride in the products they stock and makes sure they stock what their local customers want and know you by name.

And the other is buying from a huge retailer who just knows you as $$, unless you spend big enough and get allocated someone.

I'm sure you can guess which one is what, but apart from the above I have had good experience with both, including OVH, just your a very small fish in a big pond.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

@SplitIce said:

I've called their support a couple times and there's only been English speakers. (Can't tell if you're being funny or not)

• buyvm rocks but for the price and question you asked, i would choose ovh. Just my 2 cents

• I called OVH once for a billing question and got somebody friendly on the phone. Sign up was easy and I don't recall ID verification.

On the other hand with BuyVM, where I was living at the time had forced homeowner's association Internet through Hotwire Communications where the connection would show my location 150 miles away. Aldryic swore up and down that I was trying to use a VPN to hide who I was. I didn't have that problem with OVH. However I heard that Aldryic has loosened his collar a little bit after similar complaints and isn't as a bastard as he used to be.

doughmanes said: isn't as a bastard as he used to be.

slow clap

That's amazing.

Anyway, Yes, he's been adjusting policy in place and I hope to change some more stuff before the years out :) All positive, just takes time.

Francisco

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:

@SplitIce said:

I've called their support a couple times and there's only been English speakers. (Can't tell if you're being funny or not)

I've spent 18+ hours & tens of calls trying to get in contact with an english speaking support rep in the past. It does not help that the official department for Australia is OVH France... That was in regards to a switch port failure, and their non response to the ticket (it was resolved over the phone in 18 hours, the ticket got a response almost a week later).

Things may have changed now however, OVH CA/US can now make changes on OVH FR accounts. You can call them and get them for most things. In the past they couldn't do anything (however they usually apologised on behalf of OVH FR). I have not tested this with a major failure however (those are few and far between thankfully).

• SplitIce said: @karatekidmonkey you found someone who spoke english? Wow.

You found someone who doesn't speak english? Wow.

SplitIce said: Things may have changed now however,

They probably have

• I use both and I can say both properly work. Aldryic was also excellent in the support tickets, helped me a lot with migrations, something OVH would not do.

I'm not sure how the KVM Slices system works, so not sure if I should upgrade to those packages. I understand you get a guaranteed CPU (1/4th, 1/2th, and so on), but what does the fair use CPU mean? Does it mean you may also go above your dedicated CPU resources for short bursts?

@ManofServer said:
    I use both and I can say both properly work. Aldryic was also excellent in the support tickets, helped me a lot with migrations, something OVH would not do.

I'm not sure how the KVM Slices system works, so not sure if I should upgrade to those packages. I understand you get a guaranteed CPU (1/4th, 1/2th, and so on), but what does the fair use CPU mean? Does it mean you may also go above your dedicated CPU resources for short bursts?

The cpu limits are weights so you only get capped when the node is starving for cpu. That means you can burst when you need to. The nodes are mostly sitting at only a few cores used on average so there's almost always room to breathe.

Francisco

• @doughmanes said:
    Aldryic swore up and down that I was trying to use a VPN to hide who I was. I didn't have that problem with OVH. However I heard that Aldryic has loosened his collar a little bit after similar complaints and isn't as a bastard as he used to be.

Nope, he's still the same.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • eLohkCalb said: Nope, he's still the same.

Figured since Francisco didn't address it. I've saw posts where "he's changed". I can't really blame him too much- when your job is a hammer you seem to approach everything as if they're a nail.

• doughmanes said: Figured since Francisco didn't address it. I've saw posts where "he's changed". I can't really blame him too much- when your job is a hammer you seem to approach everything as if they're a nail.

Sure, though how relevant is that to the service offered? Sounds like a sideshow.

edited August 2016

@ricardo said:

doughmanes said: Figured since Francisco didn't address it. I've saw posts where "he's changed". I can't really blame him too much- when your job is a hammer you seem to approach everything as if they're a nail.

Sure, though how relevant is that to the service offered? Sounds like a sideshow.

It's an honest concern. I've been spending the last 3 - 4 months working on replacing workers that are problematic or not pulling their weight. I've also been seeing where I can smooth out some things, namely some of the order process.

To be fair I've heard stories that OVH is similar in strictness, but there's for sure ways to smooth things out on our end.

doughmanes said: Figured since Francisco didn't address it. I've saw posts where "he's changed". I can't really blame him too much- when your job is a hammer you seem to approach everything as if they're a nail.

It has been improved, but I hope to improve it even further in the next couple months :)

I'm wanting to do a company wide refresh. The products are well on their way with the launch of the Slices, the support side is mostly there, now billing/sales is next on the block.

Francisco

• @doughmanes said:
    Figured since Francisco didn't address it. I've saw posts where "he's changed". I can't really blame him too much- when your job is a hammer you seem to approach everything as if they're a nail.

I don't blame him either. It does however leave a bad after taste, and I'd just make sure I won't touch pony with a 10ft pole.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @francisco the protected ip will remain 3$/mth? This is a really good price I know, voxility for 3$, lots of other provider ask 5$ for voxility or other protection. However I have seen more and more provider giving a protection for free like hostus, budgnetnode, safehousecloud (on a recent deal), dedistation, securedragon and so on.

edited August 2016

@oper1984 said:
    @francisco the protected ip will remain 3$/mth? This is a really good price I know, voxility for 3$, lots of other provider ask 5$ for voxility or other protection. However I have seen more and more provider giving a protection for free like hostus, budgnetnode, safehousecloud (on a recent deal), dedistation, securedragon and so on.

I have no interest in offering free ddos protection right now, especially with how much additional filtering we do.

We filter more floods than most voxility providers.

I think the price along side what I'm charging for the slices is more than fair.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • yes the price is fair, I have a vps with buyvm + a protected IP and it is great, but I would like to pay the protection monthly instead of yearly. Will it be possible soon?

• I found safehousecloud, but they have 14k followers on twitter... looks like scam to me because of that. only 1% of the followers look like real human and they are all the last followers. So I prefer to pay a little more for a big name like buyvm but I would prefer to pay monthly

Why not get a slice and a filtered? It would be billed monthly and the price would be $6.50/month for 1gb ram on KVM.

Francisco

• oper1984 said: However I have seen more and more provider giving a protection for free like hostus, budgnetnode, safehousecloud (on a recent deal), dedistation, securedragon and so on.

And all of those free ddos protections are crap (except for securedragon)

• LandofnoneLandofnone Member
    edited August 2016

Did not expect this to still be going on. Still, keep it coming.

• I went ahead and purchase VPS via @BuyVM today. And so far i am liking. I installed the Ubuntu desktop for GUI testing and after i am done with that, i will be installing a server OS. The only con i do see, is the ping from my satellite connection affecting responsive. But there is nothing i can do about that.

@Landofnone said:
    I went ahead and purchase VPS via @BuyVM today. And so far i am liking. I installed the Ubuntu desktop for GUI testing and after i am done with that, i will be installing a server OS. The only con i do see, is the ping from my satellite connection affecting responsive. But there is nothing i can do about that.

It's satellite man, come on :P

Glad to hear you like it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Landofnone
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Landofnone said:
    I went ahead and purchase VPS via @BuyVM today. And so far i am liking. I installed the Ubuntu desktop for GUI testing and after i am done with that, i will be installing a server OS. The only con i do see, is the ping from my satellite connection affecting responsive. But there is nothing i can do about that.

Oh I don't know, maybe look for a satellite slightly lower in orbit? Maybe it's the routing, I have issues with my satellite connection as the traffic gets backhauled to Mars.

Thanked by 2Francisco Landofnone
  • LandofnoneLandofnone Member
    edited August 2016

Perhaps, i need to take my Spacecraft, that i got hidden in my secret underground bunker in my not so secret back yard. And drive up to the satellite in question, and bring it to lower orbit. That should fix any ping problems.

• First speedtest from testmy.net: Download 323.8Mpbs(40.5MB/s | Upload 152.2 Mbps(19.2MB/s)