Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ownership of LET/LEB - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ownership of LET/LEB

12346»

Comments

• @Maounique said: You must be kidding...

How much do you think running a site costs ?
    Apart from the DDoS protection, everything else is almost free.
    I can buy with 15 Eur DDoS protection, but the DC has no ipv6 sadly, it is basically free, except the time invested.

Almost. Basically.

Not actually free.

How much is your time worth? Nothing?

• @RobertClarke said: Maybe I'm missing the point of this thread, but it sounds like a lot of you are frustrated that the owner of a moderately large website can sit back and count cash. Isn't that what most site owners do these days? In addition, what's wrong with that?

This.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Maounique said: recycling older or broken computers others deem bin grade material

Funny I just read this. I spent most of the day getting my new personal LEB working: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_ab.html

I love this thing. Running 64mb RAM and a 4GB HD. It's a beast for what it is.

• Almost. Basically.

>

Not actually free.

>

How much is your time worth? Nothing?

Here is something I find funny. Freewebspace uses a fairly mild dedicated quad core server with like 6-8gb memory. And runs fine with vbulletin.

So a dedicated with dodos and full management for this site should be about 350 a month.

They pay the mods nothing.

Sure same practice here.

Low cost high profit.

• nutjobnutjob Member
    edited March 2013

I don't understand what this has to do with anyone but the owners. How is it our business?

• @RobertClarke said: Maybe I'm missing the point of this thread, but it sounds like a lot of you are frustrated that the owner of a moderately large website can sit back and count cash. Isn't that what most site owners do these days? In addition, what's wrong with that?

Why start a website/business/anything unless you can do that? Apparently making money on investments of time/money/ideas is bad now. Isn't that what pretty much everyone here is doing?

• @jhadley said: What would everyone here like to see that $100k spent on?

Free hats for everyone?

• @TommehM said: Free hats for everyone?

Free hat?

• @24khost said: So a dedicated with dodos

• edited March 2013

Well Chief is back as he deleted a thread (released personal info, so cant blame him even if it was a funny thread, for the best) and locked another and commented, so I believe you all should be getting the response you've been waiting for.

• @MannDude said: Well Chief is back

Was he gone? I'm seeing regular activity here: lowendtalk.com/profile/1327/Chief

• edited March 2013

He must of been to this thread as new posts don't bump it. Someone wants it to sink... Don't know if it was him or not though. I don't really care, but it'd be nice for him to acknowledged the presence of this thread with a response see to clear whatever confusions exist.

• I didn't realise you could stop bumps in Vanilla? It seems @Chief he will be ignoring any of these types of threads...

• And yet you're here posting. Look up hypocrisy in the dictionary.

• @nutjob, people here don't want to leave LET. They just want better more transparent management.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@pubcrawler said: The pope appoints people. Unclear what the "moderators" here are doing and for what.

"Moderators" here are just a community members with a "power" to close and open threads and delete posts and threads.
    For what? If you're asking if we're getting paid, the answer is no. If you are asking what's the reason I'm doing this, I just want to make this community better. I can't speak for the others

• @Maounique said: OK, who is for another site run by "elected" ppl through polls, without advertizing at all and hosted on a DDoS protected platform by voluntary contributions of the ppl ?

Those are the first things that can keep the site free. A constitution can be drafted later.

Count me in.

I have no objection to providers advertising here, and I have no objection to someone making money from the site.

What I dislike is the way the site has become predominantly a marketplace for providers. There is no community anymore, only competition.

So please @Maounique build a new forum. Some place where we can discuss and share ideas and learn things -- instead of obsessing over the newest oversold offer or the latest dd result. I really hope you do it.

I think I'm done with LET. Everyone have a nice day.

• Come to IRC, let's talk.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@vedran said: If you are asking what's the reason I'm doing this, I just want to make this community better.

I'd assumed you mods did it for the fame, glory, and women.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MannDude said: He must of been to this thread as new posts don't bump it. Someone wants it to sink.

Sage goes in every field.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@raindog308 said: I'd assumed you mods did it for the fame, glory, and women.

No, Liam gets all the fame and glory and Chief gets all the women