Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ownership of LET/LEB - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ownership of LET/LEB

Comments

• Yeah sorry, I didn't mean physically slaughtered. I did just mean banned. :)
    Well, we'll see how this plays out. I'm not sure how Chief will react when he reads all of these posts.

• @PhilND said: when

Or if.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not sure he will read. If he does and the bans start rolling, then the decision is made.

• LowEndForums.com is available. Just sayin'

edited March 2013

I own lowendbox.info, is about to expire if anyone wants it. I thought would be more fitting without the COM. Shouldnt be com in the first place.

• @Maounique said: If advertizing can be kept out, then there is a chance to be a real community without the regular fight for the buck.

So who is paying for it then? Shit costs, end of.

• wdqwdq Member

@pubcrawler said: PROVIDERS ARE THE MAJOR CONTRIBUTORS AND POSTERS.

This has to be the most true thing ever. I'm one of the few people here that isn't a provider. But to be honest I don't mind all of the providers here. They seem to keep their advertising to the signatures, offers, and requests section.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: OK, who is for another site run by "elected" ppl through polls, without advertizing at all and hosted on a DDoS protected platform by voluntary contributions of the ppl ?

If (and only if) anybody decided to create an alternative site and community, I'd like to see some sort of pledge where everyone can choose to chip in at the start, say $7 each just to make it a round number. Personally I have no problem with ads being on the pages, and understand why clients and providers may both like them.

Once ads have reached a milestone monetary figure (something similar to total amount pledged x 10), then everybody gets 5x their initial pledge back (so $35). The site can then continue to pull in the advertising money to run itself and maybe provide a little pocket money to staff members, as well as running the odd competition every now and then.

Just a thought. And considering how much is being made from advertising, I see no reason why this wouldn't work... other than the obvious "building a community first".

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

Wow, less than three hours, and already over one hundred posts. Even if everything is completely honest, if only behind the scenes, all these opinions show that something should be done differently.

@liamwithers I like your model.

@FFFlip said: So who is paying for it then? Shit costs, end of.

You must be kidding...
    How much do you think running a site costs ?
    Apart from the DDoS protection, everything else is almost free.
    I can buy with 15 Eur DDoS protection, but the DC has no ipv6 sadly, it is basically free, except the time invested.

• Oh I don't mind the providers @wdq.

I just find, well odd, and concerning.

For a community of sites with such high ranking and inferred huge audience, where are all the people? The public.is kind of absent.

Posting is heavily concentrated around the providers and a very limited number of non providers...

edited March 2013

I dont like any monetary involvement.
    If anything, I will pay the bill, just to make sure money play no part in it.
    Of course, without asking anything in return.
    If I will get involved in something like this, will be only in case there is no paid advertizing. This opens a can of worms that I had enough of.

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 said: I'm disappointed at the amount of people treating LET/LEB like an 'investment property' in their responses. There's less left of the community spirit than I thought.

I am pretty sure a lot of providers would not even be here posting if it was not for the opportunities this site presents them with to make money, nothing wrong with that in my view but really.

Q the denials in 3.2.1....

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@FFFlip said: So who is paying for it then? Shit costs, end of.

The costs for running a forum and a blog are significantly lower than you appear to think... whydo you think LEB has been running on a 64mb (?) box itself for a long long time?

@DStrout said: Wow, less than three hours, and already over one hundred posts. Even if everything is completely honest, if only behind the scenes, all these opinions show that something should be done differently.

This.

@W1V_Lee said: I am pretty sure a lot of providers would not even be here posting if it was not for the opportunities this site presents them with to make money, nothing wrong with that in my view but really.

This is part of the subject matter, and I'm fine with that. There is however a big difference between that, and running the site itself as a business. That you facilitate business doesn't mean you have to be one yourself.

edited March 2013

I think I can deny that vigurously :)
    I am not here as provider, I would have praised Prometeus even if I wasnt working for Uncle, and in fact did just that many months before i joined.
    I am reading here more or less since it started and on WHT I am a member since 2006.
    Also Prometeus doesnt need the money from this, is a very small project on the sides, but we both like the people here and they like us, plus there is a lot of fun surprising the market, OVerZold kept us smiling at the screen for almost a week and this is priceless :)
    Uncle posts offers in WHT and that is pretty much all he does there, most good deals are LEB/LET exclusive.
    I am not denying it just like that, there are some facts backing up my stance.

@W1V_Lee said: I am pretty sure a lot of providers would not even be here posting if it was not for the opportunities this site presents them with to make money, nothing wrong with that in my view but really.

Q the denials in 3.2.1....

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@W1V_Lee I'll take the first (or second) denial. Been active longer than I've been a VPS provider. Started because of the quality conversation.

• What happened to this thread? It showed I had 5 new responses in here, I read them, I went back to the home page and it said 59 unread responses. Vanilla glitch? Haha.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited March 2013

@W1V_Lee said: I am pretty sure a lot of providers would not even be here posting if it was not for the opportunities this site presents them with to make money

Of course I came here to make money, but that can be done ethically by contributing, same as I did at WHT many years ago and still do. I buy ads for exposure/rename recognition first, not conversions.

But the community has evolved over time to less and less what I am interested in so I rarely post any longer. I never bought into the whole LEB = price thing either, but it is what it is. I have always viewed LEB = doing more with less. Sort of like amatere radio tries to talk farther with less power. My smallest VPS offering is 4x larger than my largest server built in 1995 that ran a 17k user dialup ISP, go figure.

edited March 2013

@MannDude said: Vanilla glitch? Haha.

No, this shows we have a problem and we were self-censoring for too long about it.
    Now it was uncapped and a lot of things come out.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

I'd like to throw out a general question, that might help us all refocus on what's important here: what would @chief need to do to make you feel that all is right with the site again?

• @DStrout said: what could chief do to make you feel that all is right with the site again

Show up for work would be a good start.

@DStrout said: what could chief do to make you feel that all is right with the site again?

I think this shows the problem very well. The fact that you ask that and not Chief.

• Good post @miTgiB. The radio reference is exactly how I view the frugal resources concept here. I am a low power Part15 dabbler. Flea power and cobbled resources to make something viable from so very little.

Problem here, is that frugal resource has been replaced by another, low end bank account. Frugal around here now is packing 2GB into < $10 with 4 cores. When that happened as common stance by providers this marketplace changed for the worse.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@DStrout said: I'd like to throw out a general question, that might help us all refocus on what's important here: what could chief do to make you feel that all is right with the site again?

In my opinion, one of two things:

1. Get more (genuinely) involved, and run LEB/LET as a community, like it used to be, rather than a business.
    2. Hand over the sites to Liam or another similarly competent/appropriate/active/involved community member.
  • @Maounique said: The fact that you ask that and not Chief.

Consider this a reference for chief when he gets back and sees the thread. TL;DR if you will.

• To answer my own question:

1. Tells us why certain providers and users are being banned
    2. Outline how the site works financially
    3. Tells us what he wants to get out of the site

Use those as a reference - concrete answers are what I'm looking for.

• @joepie91 said: In my opinion, one of two things:

Get more (genuinely) involved, and run LEB/LET as a community, like it used to be, rather than a business.

Hand over the sites to Liam or another similarly competent/appropriate/active/involved community member.

Just... THIS.

@TheHackBox said: Just... THIS.

Indeed, hand over the keys to the community, but keep the papers in his name.
    He will keep ownership and revenue and the community will self-regulate. Hopefully...

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@Infinity said: that's my name in Arabic, because my name is Arabic. ;-)

Hamzah? Haha calligraphy a little hard to read sometimes for me

• Side question: To anyone's knowledge, has @chief ever shown a personal interest in LEBs and related stuff himself?