Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ownership of LET/LEB - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ownership of LET/LEB

Comments

• @pubcrawler said: It isn't hard. The moderation and touch points on things are few. Most interaction is when the @ tag happens. Rest is spot checking flare ups and the flagged items. Very finite number of data inputs to babysit.

Well, like what I said, Vanilla is free to be downloaded online, opportunities for doing some minimal work and to make more than 90K a year is right in front of you sir :)

• Tempting to say the least, but I'd never outright dupe/rip the biz model to that degree.

LEB is a much easier model to dupe and do better.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Doing it and getting the audience...two different things. Having the audience introduces more than you realize.

• LeeLee Veteran

@zhuanyi said: Well, like what I said, Vanilla is free to be downloaded online, opportunities for doing some minimal work and to make more than 90K a year is right in front of you sir :)

Indeed, a bit like running a VPS service when you get everything handed to you on a plate, oh wait...

lol, too easy for a quick, cheap shot :P

• The site was much better under LEA. I think people forget that Chief took over when the site was popular already, it's not like he did anything to get LEB/LET to where it is... He's just coasting.

It's been how many months since the thanks button worked?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    1. I created and run quite a few communities. I know how hard it is and all were abandoned due to lack of time.
    2. I dont give a f*** about the money the site makes, it can be billions, same 0 relevance to me, I am ad blind for many years and until a topic about the ads here appeared, I didnt even know they exist (on LET).
    3. What I do care about is the features or the lack of which this site has. While I like the minimalistic idea, some things like the thanks button are outright ridiculous, FFS, someone even posted the code IIRC, was it so impossible to take 5 minutes in a few months and paste it ?
    4. Also, the conspiracy theorists might be on something, this kind of silence and "you can bark as much as you like, I dont care" will only fuel the fire and generate a lot of bad blood and even uprisings. The site will continue to earn, no matter what, but it may come a time some respected members of the community will come up with a platform like a constitution and move out. It might take a time, but with enough perseverence and no-nonsense leadership, it can become an alternative.
      From where I stand, this is just some ppl profiting from LEA's work. I have nothing against the money or the fact they are earned from other ppl's work, but I do protest against the lack of features and interventions without explanations.
      Heck, even my banning remained unexplained, BuyVM always maintained they didnt do it and I start to wonder if they are not right somehow. The fact it was said to be 48 hours and then lasted more than a few months, the fact it was reversed but me not notified, this seems to indicate someone which doesnt have an idea about things and acts on pure first impression and diagonal reading at best, while coming online once a week if not less.
      I would also support more access to Liam and others (Asim, Infinity, Tim, Francisco if they are interested). After all, it is not like he cant keep the site if other ppl are having access to the code, the domains, the ad manager account, they are the only ones that need protecting.
      Let me stress once again, the monetary aspect is completely irrelevant to me as long as i dont start to see linked words and pop-out ads making the site pretty unreadable.
  • earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@miTgiB said: Feels wrong to be jealous of someone for commercial success.

I agree with this.. chief saw the potential that no one did and made LEB/LET the cash cow it is today.. everyone else had the same opportunity at the time to buy LET/LEB but no one did! chief took the risk and now he is gaining the benefit! there is no need to be jealous of someone else's success!

@earl said: I agree with this.. chief saw the potential that no one did and made LEB/LET the cash cow it is today.. everyone else had the same opportunity at the time to buy LET/LEB but no one did! chief took the risk and now he is gaining the benefit! there is no need to be jealous of someone else's success!

100% agree, but when he had no time LEA left. Chief does not have to, he can continue to get the cash, just give more permissions to people to solve some technical problems he has no time or no desire to. Also the banning thing.

• KrisKris Member

@zhuanyi said: Well, like what I said, Vanilla is free to be downloaded online, opportunities for doing some minimal work and to make more than 90K a year is right in front of you sir :)

That would be awesome if he won some type of prize to help him with resources and maybe even a dedicated server. Maybe you could try something like it! :)

• True @jarland. The markets work in weird ways.

Who would have thought that a site called LOW END anything would be valuable? Both are negative words by most folks.

Low end talk? Is that about gals with really big butts? Or is that about tricked out cars with blown suspensions?

Low end box is equally vague and negative.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

I'm disappointed at the amount of people treating LET/LEB like an 'investment property' in their responses. There's less left of the community spirit than I thought.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited March 2013

This reminds of a community forum for a certain industry. The owner was upsetting everyone with lack of communication and put it into an auction. Those upset moderators were teaming up and create another forum. The new forum was a success and a lot of members "migrate" into the new forum. Not sure if then the auction went well after this incident, bidding was made private. Well, both forums are like a ghost town though, now that the industry is pretty dried up.

• @W1V_Lee said: Indeed, a bit like running a VPS service when you get everything handed to you on a plate, oh wait...

lol, too easy for a quick, cheap shot :P

That is actually my point, I can always start a VPS host today if I want, power on the machine, set up Solus, set up WHMCS, set up a template bought from ThemeForest, now I am good to go! Remember, I have no downside since the server and software would be provided for me for free.

But would people be happy afterwards? I doubt so. Would I be able to get this business past 6 months? I doubt so.

Not saying with all the deliberations and testing it won't be a shit show in the end (it is quickly becoming one now anyways, as I get attacked on this matter every single week), but at least if then I still failed, then VPS business is probably never for me rather than start a summer host and run away a few months later and come back and open a new one (I am sure people have seen several of those).

@joepie91 said: I'm disappointed at the amount of people treating LET/LEB like an 'investment property' in their responses.

Well, that is the truth, LEA sold it, Chief bought.
    I think who is not happy can make another, there were various attempts and failed IMO.
    If advertizing can be kept out, then there is a chance to be a real community without the regular fight for the buck.

• Even if folks migrate elsewhere, this industry is far from dead. It's a decent model due to economic climate. Reduced price anything is what most folks can afford/are buying.

Insurrection won't kill the industry. Even if it did, let's say to collusion between ownership and one big hosting partner or something like that, folks would mainly migrate back towards WHT at worst.

But, that said, @DalComp, dust ups like this can really destroy a site.

• @Kris said: That would be awesome if he won some type of prize to help him with resources and maybe even a dedicated server. Maybe you could try something like it! :)

I am pretty sure if I use that dedi from CC to run the forum, I would be totally ripped apart in this forum (probably in real life too :))

• KrisKris Member

@zhuanyi said: I am pretty sure if I use that dedi from CC to run the forum, I would be totally ripped apart in this forum (probably in real life too :))

Well played, good point.

Best to keep your limbs instead.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited March 2013

It's all good @zhuanyi.

Were you the person who won the provider in a box solution? Wondered what happened to the person who won and their future enterprise.

I don't need to win a server to run an alternative-to site.

I think when this site and LEB migrated from a VPS itself to dedicated server pig resources it kind of poked the community in it's crooked eye.

Rule #1, talk about low end boxes, run the site on them.
    Rule #2, pick either free offers or paid offers --- not both.
    Rule #3, when banning folks, say why. Quote the rule violation and time out.
    Rule #4, editorial control over posts/offer opens site to lawsuits and fraud. Never do that. Just the facts as submitted. If the provider is BS and fraud alert goes up, tell them and no post until they clear it up.

That's my start of the list of things to do differently.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@joepie91 said: I'm disappointed at the amount of people treating LET/LEB like an 'investment property' in their responses. There's less left of the community spirit than I thought.

It's a commercial venture. What did you expect?

It was a hobby site back when LEA ran it, but LEA sold it to Chief. I don't know how much for, but Chief bought it as an investment.

I guess I don't know that 100%, but I don't think Chief bought it because he has a burning passion for LEBs.

Consider:

1. He doesn't participate here.
    2. He may be traveling, etc. but even before that, there was not much contact.
    3. Has evidently little interest in this community, since he hasn't fixed broken things that the community would liked fix. E.g., the thanks button - someone even provided code.

And at the end of the day, it's Chief's investment and Chief's money. I'm not complaining because I don't pay the server bill. It's not like there's a membership fee to participate here.

BTW, I seem to recall someone saying that all that money actually went to colocrossing. It wasn't just that chief paid his monthly server/bandwidth lease but they had some sort of deal where they took the ad money...but I really don't know.

@joepie91 said: The only conclusion I can draw from this, is that it would be better for LET and LEB to transfer the ownership of the sites to Liam,

I don't think that's the answer because Chief paid significant money.

I was actually thinking a few weeks ago of PMing Chief and asking if he wanted to sell the site(s). I was under the impression he'd paid low $XXXX for it (like $1500 or something) when LEA wanted to sell. I was going to say "you bought it, maybe it's not something you're interested in any more, would you be interested in selling to someone who's a more regular participant and has a bit more passion for the subject".

But then this "he takes in $3700 a month" came up and I thought well, he's not going to be interested in selling for anything like that. But maybe that's not the case if it's some behind the scenes colocrossing deal.

OK, who is for another site run by "elected" ppl through polls, without advertizing at all and hosted on a DDoS protected platform by voluntary contributions of the ppl ?
    Those are the first things that can keep the site free. A constitution can be drafted later.
    But it will probably fail unless some ppl with a lot of time take care of it.

• What? LET has ads? Ah... must be my AdBlock :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@zhuanyi said: But would people be happy afterwards? I doubt so. Would I be able to get this business past 6 months? I doubt so.

Then why did you submit a plan...

Well, derailment.

• @raindog308 said: Then why did you submit a plan...

I am saying if I start today because I yielded to the pressure from your guys, this is what is going to happen :)

• @Maounique, I think you're going to be slaughtered for suggesting that.. Chief and Liam will be pissed if everybody turns against them. Particularly Chief, I guess.

• wdqwdq Member

@icySrv said: What? LET has ads? Ah... must be my AdBlock :D

I only see ads on my tablet and phone.

@jhadley said: What would everyone here like to see that $100k spent on?

Maybe they could split most of it up across the top three hosts each month (from the polls). They could then host the forums on the #1 host and then the blog on the #2 host.

• @Voss said: Thread to be closed and bans to be issued in 3...2...

Nah, Chief's on his yacht and Liam is napping.

• @pubcrawler said: Were you the person who won the provider in a box solution? Wondered what happened to the person who won and their future enterprise.

Working on it, the pricing and WHCMS set up is underway (I have paid my own WHCMS license first so that I can just do a DB migration later rather than wasting LEB's cash), SolusVM (again my own license and my own server) is not integrating too well with my Xen installation when it comes to auto-provisioning for some reason, so I am working on figuring what happened there.

I have got the AUP and TOS drafted up, wondering if there is any "low-end" legal experts who might be able to take a look.

Also, I wanted to use the template I bought from ThemeForest (used on my BornIn.Asia project) on this new VPS venture but for some reason I start to dislike this template. Anyone could recommend a decent designer that could get it done in under 100 bucks?

Finally, I might get another node myself with one of the budget providers and push out something more than just that 1 single CC node, again, that is WIP.

@PhilND said: @Maounique, I think you're going to be slaughtered for suggesting that.. Chief and Liam will be pissed if everybody turns against them. Particularly Chief, I guess.

I am not sure they know my home address, and being banned in a forum is not something to lose sleep about.
    I already been dead once, thought will never be reinstanted, but it did happen.
    Also, banning me for this reason will really prove all the "bad" theories right.
    I can read even if I am banned.

• The other big thing and mind you it is rearing it's head as a problem:

PROVIDERS ARE THE MAJOR CONTRIBUTORS AND POSTERS.

Way I see it, I am a buyer and outnumbered by providers on this thread. Quite a normal occurrence. Providers spend all the money or donate it to Chief depending on how you view matters.

Providers need to realize that if and where they go, a subset will follow. Hazardous since others will come and fill the space probably for a while.

I reached out to End of Reality about their ads being removed. They won't comment on the matter. Very weird situation that is going to fester.

Funny, looking at LEB data from Alexa, LEB ranks 2545th in Kenya. How many providers are seeing tons of Kenyan customers?

Peru the site is ranked 4066th. Seeing lots of Peruvian customers when you run ads on here?

Data for LEB clearly looks suspect.

• @zhuanyi said: Anyone could recommend a decent designer that could get it done in under 100 bucks?

Hi, I'm Tyler with lowendwebdesign. For $100, I'll give you some crappy html that I threw together in dreamweaver. :D