Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS ends distributor program
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS ends distributor program

OttoYiuOttoYiu Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

Just a heads up if you are licensing WHMCS off a distributor:

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond LicensePal's control, WHMCS ended their distributor program with immediate effect and therefore we are no longer able to sell WHMCS licenses. We must emphasise WHMCS had no issues with LicensePal's business practices or customer service and we have held a good relationship with them since their program started seven years ago. This move has been driven by WHMCS wanting a direct relationship with clients.

Existing leased license owners will be transitioned into being billed directly by WHMCS over the next month and a half. Between now and 04/15/2013, WHMCS has provided a coupon code that will provide you a 50% discount on your first month of service. To take advantage of this coupon code, visit http://www.whmcs.com/order-now/ and on checkout enter the code 'licensepal50'. A new license key will be provided once the order has been completed and you will need to update your WHMCS installation with it. For all leased licenses still active with us on 1st May 2013, they will automatically become paid licenses at WHMCS and no further action would be required on your part. We will be emailing all existing customers with this information over the course of the next month.

We will continue to offer our range of other software including cPanel/WHM, SolusVM, ClientExec, and much more, at our usual discounted prices with the support you enjoy. In addition, we will continue to offer installation, integration and upgrade services for WHMCS.

http://licensepal.com/products/whmcs.php

Another whammy after the latest update fiasco with WHMCS...

Comments

• Ahh, I feel bad for LicensePal, that must be a huge hit.. I wonder if cPanel has to do with all these changes

• WHMCS ended their distributor program

Will this affect other distributors like BuycPanel?

• Well unless they sell WHMCS (a quick check on their website I don't think they do), this shouldn't affect them.

Other distributors who sell WHMCS though are also affected though I'm sure.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@XFS_Brian said: Will this affect other distributors like BuycPanel?

I presume yes, from what I could read WHMCS canceled all partenerships, period.
    Maybe if they have some kind of special deal they cant get out of with someone but I doubt.

• @XFS_Brian said: Will this affect other distributors like BuycPanel?

Yes. This is most likely a decision made by cPanel to leverage their own distribution network.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited March 2013

Does anyone know where I could get some cheap WHMCS licenses now?

• N_SerianN_Serian Member
    edited March 2013

@XFS_Brian said: Will this affect other distributors like BuycPanel?

WHMCS is the only option, as even buycpanel are affected and other distributors.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

All I can say is ouch for licensepal.

If I recall from the whmcs database hack, they were getting a pretty good deal too.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

That blows...was paying $4.25 a month through KnownHost. Jumping to $16/mo is not funny.

I posted a thread in the WHMCS lounge - it's awaiting moderator approval.

http://forum.whmcs.com/forumdisplay.php?22-The-Lounge

• On a positive note, I think this is good for the industry -- making the entry barrier a little bit higher. Those hosts who are not taking the business seriously will find it harder to keep their operations alive since expenses will be bigger. A little dollar increase per month might seem small for others but once regular payment sink in to their system, I guess, they might back down on their decision.

Billing is only one factor though.

I wonder if WHMCS will do the Hostbill-type business model in the future.

• @libro22 said: On a positive note, I think this is good for the industry -- making the entry barrier a little bit higher.

Also encourages folks like me to write my own billing system. Their lost sale.

• There's always the manual option. Because that's totally professional.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

Perhaps time to develop a serious contender to this WHMCS bullshit?

• RyanDRyanD Member

@Rallias and just you wait for the first breach and subsequent PCI audit and fines.

We operate heavily in the e-commerce space and recently had a client using their own cart technology get forced into an audit by paypal. They had to foot the bill for a $30,000 forensic audit.

• @RyanD said: and just you wait for the first breach and subsequent PCI audit and fines.

Thus why I won't handle credit cards myself. That's what paypal's for, isn't it?

• @RyanD said: We operate heavily in the e-commerce space and recently had a client using their own cart technology get forced into an audit by paypal. They had to foot the bill for a $30,000 forensic audit.

Was that client using PayPal Payments Pro as a merchant account?

• @ShoveNose Can't... tell.... if... joking...

• WHMCS pulling a HostBill move? Now I am shocked.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • I've always purchased from WHMCS directly. WHMCS is very reasonably priced for what it does.

• RophRoph Member

I've always viewed paying over and over again each month for a set of (obfuscated!) PHP scripts a scam.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

WHMCS lose too many customers due to hacking issues so I think they are trying to recover lost money from their existing customers :)

I am 100% sure If anyone make a more secure billing software and use good business model then they will get 60%+ customer of WHMCS and Hostbill due to their bad business model.

I have a lifetime license with Licensepal but I feel bad for LP, WHMCS and Hostbill sucks.. :(

• They might also have tax reasons to do this. Now a customer in EU can buy WHMCS from a reseller in USA and avoid paying VAT. I am sure this is illegal according to some law, considering WHMCS is an EU company.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@shovenose said: Gonna use ISPBill.

fuck this WHMCS shit.

Seems sensible:

ISPBill Last Update: 2009-07-17

• @Jack said: @mitgib can you sell WHMCS still?

No issue I can see, I am not a distributor, just a reseller and I see no issues in my account

• I honestly don't understand the difference between a distributor and a reseller, but then i am not a native English speaker...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@rds100 said: but then i am not a native English speaker...

Probably not economist...
    A reseller simply buys the stuff and resells it getting some small discount from the vendor list price on a standard agreement/contract.
    A distributor has more freedom, in some cases exclusivity (not the online case, i think), own advertising programs, special deal with the producer, special support, feedback and requests are taken into account at the new version, things like those.
    A distributor usually has own network of sales with his own resellers, own inventory
    (storage where keeps the stuff which often is still owned by the producer or has extensive credit agreements to sell now and pay later) and other more advanced logistics.
    The difference in online sales is a bit blurred due to the nature of it.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We have one leased license through BuycPanel - no word from them yet, and buywhmcs.com still appears to allow orders...

• @Maounique said: or has extensive credit agreements to sell now and pay later

Yea, get a HP credit program and sell their servers - you only pay once yearly, anything else is 0% credit from HP... very funny, as you can take the cash from customers and get 5%+ interest from it from nearly any bank and make a profit while taking credit.

• whmcs: "time to recover that money"

bullshit.

• @shovenose said: Perhaps time to develop a serious contender to this WHMCS bullshit?

No more ShoveAds? It is ShoveBill time.

I love that name. Shove your bill :P