Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best alternatives to Amazon EC2 - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best alternatives to Amazon EC2

124»

Comments

• @sman AWS has outages just like anyone else, what truly makes it reliable are the features they offer you to build a highly available and scalable platform. However from what you've been telling us, you probably don't need or use these features, so it would pretty much be a wast of money. I'd suggest that you check out @dediserve (https://dediserve.com). They have high availability (with SAN storage), good performance and 24/7 support. I've been using them for over a year now and I'm very happy with them.

Thanked by 2Junkless dediserve
  • @William said:

seaeagle said: Amazon have about 8x more market share than Google. They run their own DCs.

Google runs own DCs, some larger than AWS. Including in Europe.

AWS mostly runs on rented space outside the US, including in Europe.

seaeagle said: When did Google start selling Compute services?

A few years after it opened, closing the service down due to no demand... did you actually read the history of them...?

seaeagle said: Last year Amazon had revenues of $100billion and Google $75billion.

Yea, the Amazon figure including all website sales (lol, sure) and the Google one without sub companies.

Also, if we want to go that low - Alphabet had a net profit of 16 billion in 2015, Amazon just 600mil.

youre doing exactly what sman did and only picking the numbers that support your views.
    alphabet has a profit of 16billion and that all came from selling ads. ads is what keeps google afloat.
    amazon web services made over $1bill profit in 2015 - its keeping the rest of the company afloat.
    aws is far and away the biggest player in this space. then azure. then google.
    im not bagging any of them. i dont have a dog in this fight. i couldnt care what service you use or you prefer but use the numbers that are relevant when you want to make a case.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2016

seaeagle said: alphabet has a profit of 16billion and that all came from selling ads. ads is what keeps google afloat. amazon web services made over $1bill profit in 2015 - its keeping the rest of the company afloat.

This was never about how that money was made. Saudi Arabia made a trillion $ profit (at 60$/bl 10x profit of investment) over the last year in oil alone and is the most efficient "company" on the planet (while employing 50% of the citizens in the gov...), yet it is not compared here obviously.

seaeagle said: aws is far and away the biggest player in this space. then azure. then google

You might want to see some Alibaba numbers (plus what they own) before you declare AWS the largest player (which it probably is for now, though with the grow in China it will not stay #1)...

• picking the numbers that support your views

Definitely. Kinda incredulous to compare Google/Alphabet against Amazon's bottom line when their core products are completely different.