Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best alternatives to Amazon EC2 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best alternatives to Amazon EC2

Comments

• @sman said:
    Google has the money and resources to do whatever they want.

You mean like with Google Fiber? Oh wait . . .

• smansman Member
    edited September 2016

@Microlinux said:

@sman said:

What exactly is your point? Are you the only person in the world that prefers Comcast?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

sman said: Are you the only person in the world that prefers Comcast?

No Comcast is amazing as long as you have no dispute over something. I absolutely loved their service up until this moment:

Support: "Would you like 100mbit, more channels, and VOIP for $5/m?"
    Me: "I mean, if it's just $5/m extra then sure."
    Me: Receives $400 bill.

At that point it is an absolute requirement that you threaten the life of the first support tech you reach on the phone to get anything accomplished. She smugly told me it was correct and I shouldn't have authorized something I didn't want to pay for over, and over, and over, and over. Finally I just screamed until she sent me to retention.

Long story short: Comcast is amazing until you actually need support for something more than an outage.

I wish this anecdotal story wasn't shared by so many.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited September 2016

@sman said:

@Microlinux said:

@sman said:

What exactly is your point?

Money is one part of a more complex equation when it comes to business ventures. If Google wanted to throw money around willy nilly to achieve success they wouldn't be halting new fiber deployments while they investigate cheaper technologies.

@sman said: Are you the only person in the world that prefers Comcast?

What information led you to ask this very specific question?

• I would recommend you Digital Ocean,
    You can start with only 5$ and can boost your server power as per your requirement anytime. BTW you will also get extra 50$ on signup i guess.

• Ovh cloud vps has 99.999% uptime.
    Been using it for a week, seems pretty good. 24/7 phone and email support. Also great pricing for the resources. I grabbed the dedicated resources.

Hopefully it keeps going great.

• @raindog308 said:

hdpixel said: I keep my critical stuff with stormondemand.com. Their network is clean, servers are fast, and although I don't ask for help, I am able to get a hold of someone within 15 minutes.

They really add $20/mo to your bill for CentOS 7?

https://www.stormondemand.com/pricing/

For managed services of an OS without a control panel, yes it cost $20. You could get it without managed services and it will be $0.00.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@sman still looking ?

• @doughnet said:
    Ovh cloud vps has 99.999% uptime.

Hasn't been... Servers are crashing way too often and being generally extremely slow and sluggish. VPS Cloud used to be nice, but they've clearly now oversold the capacity seriously and it's like the VPS Classic used to be, practically unusable.

• doughnetdoughnet Member
    edited October 2016

@WebDude said:

@doughnet said:
    Ovh cloud vps has 99.999% uptime.

Hasn't been... Servers are crashing way too often >and being generally extremely slow and sluggish. >VPS Cloud used to be nice, but they've clearly now >oversold the capacity seriously and it's like the VPS >Classic used to be, practically unusable.

My HG-7 has not had one downtime from network or outage at BHS. Might be user error on configuration. My uptime status shows 100% up aside from a 15 minutes downtime when I turned off the web server to make a configuration change

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2016

seaeagle said: Amazon have about 8x more market share than Google. They run their own DCs.

Google runs own DCs, some larger than AWS. Including in Europe.

AWS mostly runs on rented space outside the US, including in Europe.

seaeagle said: When did Google start selling Compute services?

A few years after it opened, closing the service down due to no demand... did you actually read the history of them...?

seaeagle said: Last year Amazon had revenues of $100billion and Google $75billion.

Yea, the Amazon figure including all website sales (lol, sure) and the Google one without sub companies.

Also, if we want to go that low - Alphabet had a net profit of 16 billion in 2015, Amazon just 600mil.

• I have had the same question in my mind for a while too. Thank you for LeaseWeb suggestion. Their pricing seems to be pretty competitive if you don't need all the bells and whistles that AWS has. Good amount of SSD storage and KVM starting under $5 is pretty lucrative to me.

Any other comments for their US stability? I need most of all good uptime, but don't want to build HA.

• sinsin Member

Crab said: Any other comments for their US stability? I need most of all good uptime, but don't want to build HA.

Their US location has been really stable for me and they're one of my favorite VPS providers right now.

Thanked by 1Crab
  • alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

I've tried both AWS and Google Cloud; they seem mostly the same to me. Pricing isn't all that different either.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@alfred said:
    I've tried both AWS and Google Cloud; they seem mostly the same to me. Pricing isn't all that different either.

AWS gets way more expensive. Pretty sure @William can shed some light.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited October 2016

jarland said: Long story short: Comcast is amazing until you actually need support for something more than an outage.

Yeah, they're tiger-blooded rockstars from Mars when it comes to handling outages...cough...

Every time I have an outage, I call and get an appointment 2-3 days later. The issue usually fixes before that, but if not, Comcast thinks being without service for 3 days is good service. They will also tell you the most transparent lies on the phone to get you off the line, and of course there is the classic "please reboot your PC" support scripts and...

Well, anyway.

Comcast support. First ones up against the wall when the revolution comes amirite?

And then there's the new 1TB data cap that just got rolled out to my city. WTF.

Thanked by 1jar
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Been really happy with DreamCompute, get quite a bit of bang for your buck.

On the low end: $4.50/mo for 512MB, $6/m for 1GB. Every VM has 80GB local SSD storage and then you get 100GB of block storage free with your account.

Unmetered bandwidth at the moment but they say they'll give plenty of notice when that changes.

Thanked by 1Four20

@Harambe said:
    Been really happy with DreamCompute, get quite a bit of bang for your buck.

On the low end: $4.50/mo for 512MB, $6/m for 1GB. Every VM has 80GB local SSD storage and then you get 100GB of block storage free with your account.

Unmetered bandwidth at the moment but they say they'll give plenty of notice when that changes.

So every VM gets a free block storage and 80GB local ssd? Even for 512MB?

@MrGeneral said:

Block storage is per-account, so if you have 1 VM or 20, it's 100GB free (you can buy more). Each VM has 80GB of local SSD included from 512MB to 32GB or whatever the biggest is.

https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/computing/

Thanked by 3MikePT yomero Four20

@Harambe said:

@MrGeneral said:

Block storage is per-account, so if you have 1 VM or 20, it's 100GB free (you can buy more). Each VM has 80GB of local SSD included from 512MB to 32GB or whatever the biggest is.

https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/computing/

Checking. Very interesting, thank you :)

• I don't see if these have all been mentioned before in this thread but, if you simply looking for pay-by-the-hour VPSs, then we shouldn't forget some of our LEB/LET homeboys:

I know I'm missing a few.

Either way, as others have mentioned, the power of AWS is not simply in pay-per-hour instances. It's in the way that their offerings can allow DevOps to focus on the product and its core functionality, rather than system management.

Thanked by 2Jacob Verelox
  • alfredalfred Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

MrGeneral said: AWS gets way more expensive. Pretty sure @William can shed some light.

In my use case (smaller scale I guess) it was quite similar, but I can see how Compute Engine can be cheaper.

Another thing that factored into the costs for me was Google's CDN vs CloudFront. Google required that you also run a load balancer to use the CDN, which was around $20-30 per month (I forget exactly how much), whereas CloudFront was true pay-as-you-go.

Route53 is also a bit more expensive than Google DNS, but has more features.

Again, this is all from my relatively narrow experience, YMMV

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • alfred said: I've tried both AWS and Google Cloud; they seem mostly the same to me. Pricing isn't all that different either.

Yes, AWS is bit more expensive - Google has the better interface and logic. Try to create a LB with no nodes attached (so external IPs) in AWS and report back... (stuff like that is possible but i'll find myself on Cloudformation/Opsworks much more often than i would want)

I personally like Azure.

Generally they all have one caveat (even Google) - expensive traffic.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • sinsin Member

I signed up for the 60 day free trial of Google Compute and I'm liking it

@William said:

That's always the deciding factor for me, it's like $80-90/TB which seems insane.

I do, however, enjoy both Google and Amazon's storage products. The $0.01/GB for Nearline or like $0.0125 for S3 Infrequent Access is worth it - even with ridiculous retrieval fees - for stuff that doesn't exceed a couple hundred gigs.

• Harambe said: That's always the deciding factor for me, it's like $80-90/TB which seems insane.

yes that's high but no one has mentioned Google Compute Asian/oceania bandwidth is even higher at US$120-190/TB !

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Harambe said:

@William said:

That's always the deciding factor for me, it's like $80-90/TB which seems insane.

Yes, maybe for private use but here in Australia it's cheap as chips for business use.

@trewq said:
    Yes, maybe for private use but here in Australia it's cheap as chips for business use.

Sorry, my North American privilege is showing :P Cheap, quality bandwidth is fairly plentiful.

Is it bandwidth out of Australia that's expensive or even within Australia is it quite high as well?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Harambe said:

@trewq said:

Sorry, my North American privilege is showing :P Cheap, quality bandwidth is fairly plentiful.

Is it bandwidth out of Australia that's expensive or even within Australia is it quite high as well?

Within too. There are so many factors that influence it that it's never going to change. Our cities are far apart, low population compared to other countries, high workforce costs and an oligopoly. Just to name a few.

• Another +1 for GCP (Google Cloud). Such an easier to use interface.