Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best alternatives to Amazon EC2 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best alternatives to Amazon EC2

Comments

• raindog308 said: They really add $20/mo to your bill for CentOS 7?

For the managed services only, it seems.

• sinsin Member

sman said: LeaseWeb also has something but don't know much about it and their European centered support kind of turns me off

Leaseweb isn't just European centered support :) Leaseweb USA is out of Virginia. Although they wouldn't be what you were looking for anyways (unless you shelled out the money for their private cloud).

Every service is going to have some amount of downtime but you can limit that with a failover/ha setup.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I am a devops engineer for a big company that uses AWS extensively. I'd say that if you're going to treat EC2 instances as standard VPSes, then it's not worth it. The special sauce it offers is in everything else, such as autoscaling groups, metrics collection, alarming, and the other managed services (like RDS for databases, ElastiCache for Memcached/Redis, etc.).

It doesn't sound like you're going this route, and if not, I'd say don't bother. It'll cost you more for less (compared to VPS providers).

If you're interested in HA, and will architect things that way, then it can be a great investment. It takes some effort, but being able to kill a bunch of hosts and have them get replaced within a few minutes is great. Even better is when traffic surges, and new hosts come online to help.

Google Cloud is comparable to AWS in most ways. It can certainly do a LAMP stack; you just have to do it yourself (App Engine could be an exception, but I haven't tried it).

• @amhoab App engine is google's PaaS version of heroku with special requirements.

• jhjh Member

sman said: I stared at those OVH plans for about 30minutes and couldn't figure them out. I honestly didn't know what I was looking at. They have storage plans and CPU plans and memory plans but I don't know why or what the differences are. I always found their packages and plans and terminology confusing.

Ignore that. CPU plans just mean they're better if you need a high ratio of CPU to other resources etc. Just look at the specs.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Id do it on buyvm with their anycast IP. 3 locations and it simply rocks.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@sin said:

sman said: LeaseWeb also has something but don't know much about it and their European centered support kind of turns me off

Leaseweb isn't just European centered support :) Leaseweb USA is out of Virginia. Although they wouldn't be what you were looking for anyways (unless you shelled out the money for their private cloud).

Every service is going to have some amount of downtime but you can limit that with a failover/ha setup.

I think the LeaseWeb USA stuff is fairly new after some recent aquisitions. It remains to be seen what is going to happen with that. They are on my radar.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@rsk said:
    Id do it on buyvm with their anycast IP. 3 locations and it simply rocks.

The anycast IP is a good idea.

• sinsin Member

sman said: I think the LeaseWeb USA stuff is fairly new after some recent aquisitions

Leaseweb USA has been around for over 5 years now...they have been in their Virginia datacenter for awhile it's the Ubiquity aquisition that you're thinking of.

• jhjh Member

rsk said: Id do it on buyvm with their anycast IP. 3 locations and it simply rocks.

I signed up once with BuyVM and I have to say, the services look good but they are not a professional outfit. They seemed genuinely concerned that my place of work and my place of residence were not one and the same. They refunded my payment a couple of minutes after the order with no explanation at all. I had to contact them, to explain the obvious, and that both addresses could be independently verified very easily. After a few rude comments from their side, I signed up at another service provider.

For a dev server, why not. If your business depends on it, run a mile.

• jh said: For a dev server, why not. If your business depends on it, run a mile.

@Nick_A care to explain what happened?

Thanked by 1afterSt0rm
  • jhjh Member

tr1cky said: care to explain what happened?

Read the line above the one you quoted. And I think @Nick_A is the guy behind Ramnode, the company I chose after BuyVM.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

jh said: They seemed genuinely concerned that my place of work and my place of residence were not one and the same

You don't work from home? Shame on you.

• jhjh Member

jarland said: You don't work from home? Shame on you.

Yeah, sadly my mother doesn't have a basement so I have to work in an office.

• Google Cloud Platform, ftw!

• smansman Member

@sin said:

sman said: I think the LeaseWeb USA stuff is fairly new after some recent aquisitions

Leaseweb USA has been around for over 5 years now...they have been in their Virginia datacenter for awhile it's the Ubiquity aquisition that you're thinking of.

In that case, that's not so good. Looks like all support goes through Europe with Europe business hours listed.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@k0nsl said:
    Google Cloud Platform, ftw!

I'm a google datacenter fan so they are in my top 3 for sure. All things being equal I think I would prefer doing business with them compared to Amazon. Does Amazon run their own datacenters or do they colocated?

• @sman: I was being sarcastic ;)

• sinsin Member

sman said: In that case, that's not so good. Looks like all support goes through Europe with Europe business hours listed.

What? How is Manassas, Virginia in Europe?

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@k0nsl said:
    @sman: I was being sarcastic ;)

At least you are consistent in contribute nothing....ftw.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • Cheeky goy edit, oy vet!

@sman said:

@k0nsl said:
    @sman: I was being sarcastic ;)

At least you are consistent in contribute nothing....ftw.

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Linode might be a good option for you. It's simple yet they have some powerful features like load balancing.

• deltacakedeltacake Member
    edited August 2016

@rafaelscs said:
    M$ Azure, Google cloud, hp cloud

If you were talking about the HP public cloud, it has been closed.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2996284/hybrid-cloud/bye-bye-hp-public-cloud-5-no-bull-takeaways.html

• @sman said:
    I'm a google datacenter fan so they are in my top 3 for sure. All things being equal I think I would prefer doing business with them compared to Amazon. Does Amazon run their own datacenters or do they colocated?

Amazon have about 8x more market share than Google. They run their own DCs.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@seaeagle said:

@sman said:

Amazon have about 8x more market share than Google. They run their own DCs.

And Google probably has 8x the bandwidth including their own submarine cables.

Google has been doing datacenters for a lot longer. Market share is not something that concerns me. Google has the money and resources to do whatever they want.

• seaeagleseaeagle Member
    edited August 2016

You asked a question. I gave an answer. If its not the answer you want so be it.

Your next statement is ambiguous and hard to support either way.
    Amazon has been around 4years longer than Google.
    Amazon started selling AWS 10 years ago. When did Google start selling Compute services?
    Last year Amazon had revenues of $100billion and Google $75billion.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@seaeagle said:
    You asked a question. I gave an answer. If its not the answer you want so be it.

Your next statement is ambiguous and hard to support either way.
    Amazon has been around 4years longer than Google.
    Amazon started selling AWS 10 years ago. When did Google start selling Compute services?
    Last year Amazon had revenues of $100billion and Google $75billion.

AWS has revenue of 7billion. Google has revenue of 75billion. You think you can get away with including Amazon selling books and chinese crap online?

I can do an internet search too. Google has had their own datacenters and fiber backbone for a lot longer. Amazon started AWS around 2004. About the same time as Gmail started. It's not like Google didn't already have their own datacenters and fiber long before that.

• @sman said:
    AWS has revenue of 7billion. Google has revenue of 75billion. You think you can get away with including Amazon selling books and chinese crap online?

I can do an internet search too. Google has had their own datacenters and fiber backbone for a lot longer. Amazon started AWS around 2004. About the same time as Gmail started. It's not like Google didn't already have their own datacenters and fiber long before that.

so you can include the $67billion that google made selling ads in their revenue and you cant include amazons product sales?
    freaking genius!
    AWS has a revenue of around $7billion and Googles offerings are somewhere south of $1billion.
    its not like Amazon didnt have their own datacenters prior to AWS...
    every one of your arguments is an argument in favor of Amazon.
    why are you even arguing about this?

Thanked by 1Bogdacutuu
  • seaeagle said: You asked a question. I gave an answer. If its not the answer you want so be it.

he only wants to debate.
    I thing he only wants cheaper alternative to EC2

• tommy said: he only wants to debate. I thing he only wants cheaper alternative to EC2

Then, the question is, what features of EC2 you require.

To be honest, if you will use just their EC2 servers as simple machines, isn't worth it at all.