Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndBox: New Offers Guidelines - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndBox: New Offers Guidelines

Comments

• @hawc said:

@Lee said:
    That first provider review on LEB was poorly written and a waste of virtual paper.

Elaborate a bit more please. What do you think could have been done better?

He wasn't around that time. What can he say anyway? After a battle everyone is a general.

It was just beginning. Little personal LEA blog which grew. As simple as that.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Heinz said:

@hawc said:

@Lee said:
    That first provider review on LEB was poorly written and a waste of virtual paper.

Elaborate a bit more please. What do you think could have been done better?

He wasn't around that time. What can he say anyway? After a battle everyone is a general.

It was just beginning. Little personal LEA blog which grew. As simple as that.

You've misunderstood.

@hawc wrote a review on LET as part of the new content 'strategy' - the aforementioned 'first review'.

@Lee said that there were issues with that first review. @hawc asked for specific feedback.

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited August 2016

I really fucked it up this time. My bad.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

hawc said: Elaborate a bit more please. What do you think could have been done better?

I see the text has been updated to make sense, try proof reading before publishing.

In business a couple of months, can't even be sure it will survive 6 months at this point. Sure it's a good service like most other new and untested ones.

Plenty of far better placed hosts that have their own panels, adding features and so on. They are better placed to add value to the interview that people really want to know about.

At best this was just an easy advert for the host, nothing more. Totally pointless.

It's not even an interview. A few generic questions emailed or skyped to the host and answered only to impress, no critical analysis of the answers, means nothing, especially for a new unknown host. Example,

"But there are so many that would stay with us because they love our company. "

Yeah sure, 2 months trading is enough to demonstrate this. It's cheap there is 80% of their reason for buying, your an admin there is 10% and the other 10% is just because..

I get it though, quality is not what's important here, the traffic on LEB has tanked so much and there are always ad spots available and something needs to be done.

• @Nekki said:

SysAdmin said: Times have changed, we've got to make changes here to appeal to a wider audience.

Why?

Because traffic is down and has been for ages. Nothing that has been tried so far has fixed it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So, fine, great, except...

SysAdmin said: $10.00 per month and under.

So the market is constantly driving prices down, for $7 you can get 10x more today than you could 8 years ago, and to keep lockstop with this trend you are...raising the cap from $7 to $10...?

This is fucking stupid.

I would understand if you went from $7 to $5, but to $10 is just, well, stupid and...I don't know how else to explain it. If you're going to have an arbitrary cap, why not use a famous one that has been part of the community since early on ($7) or improve it ($5) but just randomly picking a higher, irrelevant, arbitrary cap is, well...you know...

And of course you're out of lock step with LET rules which will lead to confusion and spoils the LowEnd definition...

A better approach would be to require $7 offers but allow >$7 offers to be posted in the same ad.

doghouch said: Didn't CC buy LET for the ad revenue?

They did, back when CC owned GVH.

Thanked by 3Lee Darwin eddynetweb
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: So the market is constantly driving prices down, for $7 you can get 10x more today than you could 8 years ago, and to keep lockstop with this trend you are...raising the cap from $7 to $10...?

This is fucking stupid.

It's more that it just lets them add some more RAM to the OpenVZ side and charge more. "But you're getting 8GB RAM for $10/month instead of $4GB for $7/month, the value is amazing".

I highly doubt you're going to see $7/month deals suddenly be $10/month unless there's a pretty big resource bump.

Francisco

• @raindog308 said:

We've never owned GVH.

• @varwww said:
    Isn't technology getting cheaper? Why is the limit raised? Shouldn't it be reduced instead? I am kind of disappointed with this decision. Not even a poll was raised to discuss with the community that this forum is made up of. Please don't become the new WHT.
    @Francisco said:

raindog308 said: So the market is constantly driving prices down, for $7 you can get 10x more today than you could 8 years ago, and to keep lockstop with this trend you are...raising the cap from $7 to $10...?

This is fucking stupid.

It's more that it just lets them add some more RAM to the OpenVZ side and charge more. "But you're getting 8GB RAM for $10/month instead of $4GB for $7/month, the value is amazing".

I highly doubt you're going to see $7/month deals suddenly be $10/month unless there's a pretty big resource bump.

Francisco

Pretty sure it's 8GB ram for $48/year :)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@SysAdmin said:

@raindog308 said:

We've never owned GVH.

Nyeah, but you said the same thing about LET until you got caught red-handed.

Thanked by 2Francisco Darwin
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2016

@raindog308 said:
    So the market is constantly driving prices down, for $7 you can get 10x more today than you could 8 years ago, and to keep lockstop with this trend you are...raising the cap from $7 to $10...?

This is how I've always felt about it, but there's a new question that has come to mind for me lately:

If we changed $7 to be more in line with what $7 purchased at the time LEB experienced its initial growth, would we see growth from the site or a reduction in legitimate traffic?

I can only speculate, but I think if we lowered the limit to like $3/m we would lose the interest of a lot of people and gain the interest of no one. The bottom of the barrel shoppers that want what we have, they're the most loyal of all. They don't go anywhere. They just need to get through the great firewall. The others? Far less interested in squeezing things into small spaces (phrasing).

I have one theory, true or not, that the growth of the site depends more on the willingness to stray from the reason it was titled what it is, from the description it has always held, than it does on maintaining its old reason for existence.

Quite simply, I'm saying that I believe that what drove this site's popularity is no longer of high relevance due to market saturation. Adapting to the new market norms will not mean chasing after what we used to have.

Yet, I highly appreciate where we came from and would be thrilled to have the glory days back as they were. I'm not filled with vision of the death of the old, I'm still filled with nostalgia. I'm simply thinking about the variables.

• LeeLee Veteran

It's already been said, the price increase wont bring in new providers, the existing ones will simply try to increase prices in return for a bit more, sometimes a lot more resource.

I don't think in any event it's such a bad thing. Although it seems less about VPS and more about:

For Managed VPS and Application Hosting (E-Commerce, Magento, WordPress) Hosting:

>

$30.00 per month and under.

>

Unmanaged Dedicated Servers:

>

$50 per month and under

>

Managed Dedicated Servers:

>

$150.00 per month and under.

• LeeLee Veteran

SysAdmin said: We've never owned GVH.

Not in name however you created, fuelled and supported that monster. Given all the debt it left you with and most if not all the hardware was yours I would pretty much say you had more than an interest.

• jarland said: I can only speculate, but I think if we lowered the limit to like $3/m we would lose the interest of a lot of people and gain the interest of no one.

I respectfully disagree. I think it would make the site more interesting.

With the limit raised to $10/month even main-stream providers like Linode are included. Sure, it expands the reach of the offers that could be listed, but whether that's a good choice in a world where less providers want their offer listed remains to be seen.

With the new pricing LEB is moving further away from its original USP rather than closer to it. Not to say that with lowering the price some idiots will always try to cram more into a lower price, but at least it will also result in more genuine and interesting LowEnd offers.

• LeeLee Veteran

mpkossen said: With the limit raised to $10/month even main-stream providers like Linode are included. Sure, it expands the reach of the offers that could be listed, but whether that's a good choice in a world where less providers want their offer listed remains to be seen.

I guess the point is that $10 is a limit, not a target. If it becomes a target for most then we know the result.

• @Lee said:

mpkossen said: With the limit raised to $10/month even main-stream providers like Linode are included. Sure, it expands the reach of the offers that could be listed, but whether that's a good choice in a world where less providers want their offer listed remains to be seen.

I guess the point is that $10 is a limit, not a target. If it becomes a target for most then we know the result.

Sure. But the other way around it served as a cap and that's been raised now. That's hardly ever made people more creative.

• LeeLee Veteran

Indeed, I agree, just don't think it will change the state of play too much, those who have good genuine offers at the $3-$5 range will still offer it for the right reason, they wont be influenced by a new $10 limit.

There will be 2 camps:

I am sending you this good offer at $x because it's a loss leader promotion to promote my business or it fits in with my model and is not going to close me down.

I am sending you this offer because the limit is $10 and I want you donkeys to pay me more.

You choose what camp you support.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2016

mpkossen said: I respectfully disagree. I think it would make the site more interesting.

I don't think you get enough time to read the request threads that get posted these days. There's a post on the front of LET right now where someones wanting a TB of space and a gob of RAM for $60/year.

No one bothered trying to help with realistic expectations for people, instead in-house brands would compete against their own customers to get said clients and would cut whatever deal was needed to keep things net positive. There is people paying < $10/year for a 1GB VPS, hell, I think you could stack coupons and get 2 years for the same price.

Any host out there should know that once you set your bottom floor on pricing it is extremely hard to move off it. You need to start dishing out free stuff people want and or more features to try to float up.

Linode might post an offer but...it'll be a one time offer. Their stuff isn't changing much minus the free upgrade they do once a year or so.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LET rocks.....Perfect pricing for the beginners....

• buhuuuu!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2016

@mpkossen said:

jarland said: I can only speculate, but I think if we lowered the limit to like $3/m we would lose the interest of a lot of people and gain the interest of no one.

I respectfully disagree. I think it would make the site more interesting.

With the limit raised to $10/month even main-stream providers like Linode are included. Sure, it expands the reach of the offers that could be listed, but whether that's a good choice in a world where less providers want their offer listed remains to be seen.

With the new pricing LEB is moving further away from its original USP rather than closer to it. Not to say that with lowering the price some idiots will always try to cram more into a lower price, but at least it will also result in more genuine and interesting LowEnd offers.

I'm of course still supportive of the original purpose and sad to see it go, but I don't think lowering the price limit would bring it back to what it was. The site originally proved that demand was high and it caused an increase in supply. As market conditions changed, providing that supply became very easy and inexpensive. The supply has outpaced the demand, and I do not believe that there is a new demand found in a lower price limit, not one equal to the original demand that the site shed light on, or a demand that is not already here finding its supply today.

So I guess basically what I'm saying is that I don't think this change really amounts to anything significant, other than a sunset for the original purpose of the site. I just don't think that there's another change to be made that doesn't do that. The only other option I see is to just bury it and remember it as it was, or leave it be and let it fade. I don't see a choice that brings back the old.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Wild idea; if you want traffic back on LEB, ban offers on LET, then post offers more regularly on LEB.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Nekki said:
    Wild idea; if you want traffic back on LEB, ban offers on LET, then post offers more regularly on LEB.

A good idea, seriously. I'm proud of you.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

daily said: A good idea, seriously. I'm proud of you.

Awwwwwwww :-)

• LeeLee Veteran

You two need a room, for longer than an hour.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2016

@Nekki said:

Great indeed. Offers only on LEB, discussions about the offers only here on LET. Profit for both. And the lame Wordpress comment system could get buried with just a link to the corresponding thread here. Of course, I am toasted again, but it seems like a neat idea to me right now.

• @Lee said:
    You two need a room, for longer than an hour.

I don't last that long. Do they do minutely billed motel rooms?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

daily said: I don't last that long. Do they do minutely billed motel rooms?

You'd leave me hanging?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Amitz said: Great indeed. Offers only on LEB, discussions about the offers only here on LET. Profit for both. And the lame Wordpress comment system could get buried with just a link to the corresponding thread here. Of course, I am toasted again, but it seems like a neat idea to me right now.

The problem there is that if you have a corresponding thread here, you've no reason to go to LEB again (unless the first post was just a title and link back to the LEB post, but that's an annoying user experience).

• @Nekki said:

daily said: I don't last that long. Do they do minutely billed motel rooms?

You'd leave me hanging?

Look babe, when I'm done I'm done.