Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5GB weapon of mass destruction released at the 7$ land. VPS vendors run for shelter ... - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

5GB weapon of mass destruction released at the 7$ land. VPS vendors run for shelter ...

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

No one thinks you guys will deadpool, I cannot find any reference to that, if you were not overcommitting you would not be using OpenVZ.

@raindog308 said: But do you understand maximizing synergy for optimal transorganizational global cloud performance?

nope.

Now excuse me while I sit back for the next 3 years while the industry falls apart.

• There is a great deal of misconceptions about computer usage. Quite simply there are not enough people pounding way at their computers to utilize all the computer capabilities all the time. Any people who NEED that kind of sustained performance are unlikely to use a shared system. You assume that most people are going to use their full 4Gb.
    I have had 2 X 3Gb VPSs for a year and they have been idle most of the time. My smaller VPSs are more heavily utilized than the larger ones, which I always think I am going to use but never use. Guess what, providers know that. Up2VPS was doing 2Gb VPS for about $8 or so 2 years ago and I hardly used it. If any one can Prometeus can.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rchurch said: Any people who NEED that kind of sustained performance are unlikely to use a shared system

Oh but they're quite likely to try :P

• OllieOllie Member

Wow, this seems too good to be true. Nice idea but I'm sure that all the VPS will have a very high IO and the network slow.

• OllieOllie Member

If not at the moment, it will eventually turn out like this.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@Ollie said: If not at the moment, it will eventually turn out like this.

Then you will certainly try it out to make sure, right ? :)

@Ollie said: very high IO

That is not that high, we only do 300-400 MB/s at best on DD because the offer is not on SSD or SSD cached.

• @Ollie said: Nice idea but I'm sure that all the VPS will have a very high IO and the network slow.

@Ollie said: If not at the moment, it will eventually turn out like this.

Is that based on your experience or personal speculation or are you just trying to get enough post count so that you can post ads here?

As far as I know, @Prometeus is one of the most reliable providers on LET and I am pretty sure they managed to stay in business for 15 year NOT by selling some "high I/O, crappy network" VPS.

• @zhuanyi said: As far as I know, @Prometeus is one of the most reliable providers on LET and I am pretty sure they managed to stay in business for 15 year NOT by selling some "high I/O, crappy network" VPS.

+1K

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

The Italian team seems to kick ass at the recent poll.

They are the only ones who have the resources and the know how to pull it off.

Its a matter of time for the Romans to assault NA VPS market.

edited March 2013

I would just like to say, I told you so.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/letbox-7month-5120mb-openvz-vps-in-dallas-texas/

sarcasm
    Thanks for setting the trend..
    />

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Just don't buy it if you don't need it

@netomx said: Just don't buy it if you don't need it

Roger! :)

• And if you really need it (the 5GB of RAM) - don't buy it either :)
    Not everyone is a magician as Salvatore ;-)

@rds100 said: Not everyone is a magician as Salvatore

Indeed, sadly no one cares now, 5GB is the new target, either do it or disappear, the trend has been set.

• @AnthonySmith said: either do it or disappear, the trend has been set

Give it a while. Eventually both the customers as well as the providers will realize it's more trouble than it's worth.

If a provider is able to pull it off then awesome. The ones who are not and try anyway will simply find themselves loosing customers.

• Not everyone is a magician as Salvatore

+1

Indeed, sadly no one cares now, 5GB is the new target, either do it or disappear, the trend has been set.

Not doing it won't make them disappear but doing it if they're not capable of doing it will guarantee that they disappear.

The new $7/5GB RAM standard won't change a single thing. The hosts with sound, well thought out business plans will continue doing what they've been doing and turning a profit, and the hosts without sound business plans will continue to display a sheep-like mentality and race each other in a death spiral to the bottom.

@AnthonySmith said: Indeed, sadly no one cares now, 5GB is the new target, either do it or disappear, the trend has been set.

I reject both proposals ;)

• @DomainBop said: $7/5GB RAM standard

Since when was this a standard?

Only two people have done it so far (to my knowledge)

• Noone needs 5GB in a VPS.
    On a 5GB server I would run CPU-intensive tasks like gameservers or large database queries.
    Poor CPU, poor HDDs :(
    And from now on the "we try not to oversell"-land is left behind.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I think it was 24khost who did a test, setting up an openvz vps with like 10 times the amoubt of RAM as the host had and there were no problem doing that.

The new challenge would be: do 5gb with kvm or xen and make profit from the offer.

Any takers?

• @MikHo said: The new challenge would be: do 5gb with kvm or xen and make profit from the offer.

Any takers?

I mean its probably possible, but highly unlikely it'll be sustainable.

@Shigawire said: On a 5GB server I would run CPU-intensive tasks like gameservers or large database queries.

Precisely. Anything just about anyone could reasonably do with that much RAM would easily qualify as node abuse by typical LEB provider policies (mine included). So it's safe. Sell 16GB, who cares?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Halfeatenpie said: I mean its probably possible, but highly unlikely it'll be sustainable.

Hence the challenge :)

• We already do 2gb and that is pushing it, I need to find prices on larger ram sticks :)

• @MikHo said: The new challenge would be: do 5gb with kvm or xen and make profit from the offer.

It'd be more interesting to see how much can be offered without turning a profit or losing any money. Then it's up to the provider to figure out what their margins are going to be.

• @BradND said: We already do 2gb and that is pushing it, I need to find prices on more CPUs :)

That's what I need to find (bigger better CPUs). Maybe instead of Dual E5s like quad E5s?

• wdqwdq Member

If you have the money there are 32GB sticks of server memory. Sixteen core AMD chips. And of course eight core Intel chips $2,000 but it has the clock speed of an E3 and the core count of an E5.

• JTRJTR Member

@CVPS_Chris said: Nah doing too good at what we are doing now. For once I can admit when 5GB is unsustainable, and that just is and is a sales ploy to get their name out there. Good for them, hope it goes well. For how long Im not sure

So what happened to your promise?

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/70101#Comment_70101

• I believe one can sell 20GB for $7. You just need to figure out where and when they are dumping this baby, and be the first one to take it - http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57577179-92/former-supercomputer-king-roadrunner-to-shut-down-today/

edited March 2013

I said doing this was bad for the industry as people will just follow the OpenVZ Ram war, it only took a few weeks for someone to do it, give it 6 months and 5GB will be the bar... mark my words.

Now already people are making comments like "if they're not capable of doing it will guarantee that they disappear." it is a ridiculous market to compete in but the only advantage OpenVZ has is overselling these days so he he does it best wins which is fair enough, thanks @prometeus classy move :) I think I will start doing some documenting and trending starting with the 2GB offers to show the effect of this over the next 12 - 24 months.