Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud Computing Business - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud Computing Business

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

gurugrv said: Its pretty simple.

But not simple enough for you to explain?

• @Nekki said:
    But not simple enough for you to explain?

Not really.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

gurugrv said: Not really.

So it's not really simple then.

• GCatGCat Member

If you want the platform written, we can write it for you. We charge $225/hr, minimum $5000 deposit to start work. If you want advice, well @Nekki handles that

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @GCat said:

Sorry, such expertise and intelligence is out of scope for my client. I'd rather go back and eat my popcorn.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@gurugrv said:

@GCat said:

Sorry, such expertise and intelligence is out of scope for my client. I'd rather go back and eat my popcorn.

Beate actually doing any work, amirite?

Thanked by 1GCat
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: they're just made up constructs that can be adjusted without consequence.

See, I knew that unlimited hosting plans weren't a scam. Finally the truth is revealed by an insider.

Thanked by 3jar GCat doghouch
  • @jh said:
    This is more crowdsourcing than outsourcing. Maybe we can each host each others' sites in our basements and give this guy some $ for the privilege.

I have a beefy server in my basement... the only problem is that I only pay for 1 Mbps upload :D

• You'll pretty much have to dig into Openstack, go crazy understanding it, then give up and finally hire a team with hands-on Openstack implementation experience.

Disclaimer : This is what I keep hearing. I have no experience with Openstack.

This might not be your experience if you dive in today.

• @doghouch said:

@jh said:
    This is more crowdsourcing than outsourcing. Maybe we can each host each others' sites in our basements and give this guy some $ for the privilege.

I have a beefy server in my basement... the only problem is that I only pay for 1 Mbps upload :D

I got 1Mb up and 20Mb down xD

Got 6 servers running and well yeah offsite backups are fun

• edited August 2016

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

To save power, I suppose we could generate some nice power from water and put servers in the...

Toilet.

Premium Internet Access (via 4G):

• @theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

To save power, I suppose we could generate some nice power from water and put servers in the...

Toilet.

You aren't far off one of the things I've done. I own an allotment (like a garden else where for farming related stuff)

One issue I have is watering it sometimes I can't make it down so I have a raspberry pi hooked up to a car battery which has a solar charger and a water turbine attached to the mains water pipe. On days over 20 degrees (pulled from weather forecast) it switches water on for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at lunch and night. I can override it as its connected to 3G network and I can force it to water or not for the day. Quite a nifty idea and only took 3 days to put it in

• @OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

Toilet.

You aren't far off one of the things I've done. I own an allotment (like a garden else where for farming related stuff)

One issue I have is watering it sometimes I can't make it down so I have a raspberry pi hooked up to a car battery which has a solar charger and a water turbine attached to the mains water pipe. On days over 20 degrees (pulled from weather forecast) it switches water on for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at lunch and night. I can override it as its connected to 3G network and I can force it to water or not for the day. Quite a nifty idea and only took 3 days to put it in

Ah, cool. Unfortunately RPis are still too expensive here. Looking to self-hosting some servers at home to take advantage of my home connection and cut down on my server bills, though.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

OpticalSwoosh said: One issue I have is watering it sometimes I can't make it down so I have a raspberry pi hooked up to a car battery which has a solar charger and a water turbine attached to the mains water pipe. On days over 20 degrees (pulled from weather forecast) it switches water on for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at lunch and night. I can override it as its connected to 3G network and I can force it to water or not for the day. Quite a nifty idea and only took 3 days to put it in

We need more of this sort of ingenuity.

• @theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

Toilet.

Ah, cool. Unfortunately RPis are still

too expensive here. Looking to self-hosting some servers at home to take advantage of my home connection and cut down on my server bills, though.

Raspberry Pi Zero £4? If you need one shoot me a PM and if you pay for postage I'll send you an original model B I have laying about.

@Nekki it's called 3am, with a glass of milk

• NekkiNekki Veteran

OpticalSwoosh said: @Nekki it's called 3am, with a glass of milk

The only time I see 3am is when the blackberry goes off because we're under DDoS or some helmet on the other side of the world just did something silly and exploded a website. No time for thinking of fun projects to do with a Raspberry Pi, or indeed drinking milk.

• @OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

Toilet.

too expensive here. Looking to self-hosting some servers at home to take advantage of my home connection and cut down on my server bills, though.

Raspberry Pi Zero £4? If you need one shoot me a PM and if you pay for postage I'll send you an original model B I have laying about.

Pi Zero seems a bit too weak for what I want to run at home - I'll see about the model B though! Thanks for the offer.

• @theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

Toilet.

Pi Zero seems a bit too weak for what I want to run at home - I'll see about the model B though! Thanks for the offer.

Anytime ;) what you looking to run at home? Sometimes there is something better than a Pi. For home servers I use old Thin clients that have had a SATA port soldered on or a PCI SATA port hanging out the side

• @OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

Toilet.

Anytime ;) what you looking to run at home? Sometimes there is something better than a Pi. For home servers I use old Thin clients that have had a SATA port soldered on or a PCI SATA port hanging out the side

Intending to run:

• OVPN (my router doesn't have the capability)

• TCP/UDP load balancer (router GUI is shit and takes forever to load)

• Offsite backups (into a thumbdrive or HDD)

• Time Machine backups (I know there's a guide to do it)

• Tinc

• LookingGlass (within home network, for doing accurate traceroutes and MTRs)

• Perhaps a Syncthing relay, since bandwidth is unlimited

• edited August 2016

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

Toilet.

Intending to run:

• Tinc

Shitty atom netbook + Pi should do it, or a single laptop

I have a VyOS setup on the netbook (No tinc support though, you can use pfSense for that) + backup server on Pi. For the backup server, OpenMediaVault provides a boatload of features and runs quire fast, even on the Pi. Not sure about running it on other Pi versions, it was run originally on the Pi 2.

Side Note: Setup may not be for everyone as I had power usage in mind when deciding what to keep on 24/7. My city charges electricity at TOU prices, and the prices are pathetic and raise each year for no reason -_-

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @ALinuxNinja said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

Toilet.

Intending to run:

• Tinc

I have a VyOS setup on the netbook (No tinc support though, you can use pfSense for that) + backup server on Pi. For the backup server, OpenMediaVault provides a boatload of features and runs quire fast, even on the Pi. Not sure about running it on other Pi versions, it was run originally on the Pi 2.

Side Note: Setup may not be for everyone as I had power usage in mind when deciding what to keep on 24/7. My city charges electricity at TOU prices, and the prices are pathetic and raise each year for no reason -_-

Not gonna get any power sucking Atoms into my house, unfortunately. It's either an E3 server (gotta find the money to import it?) or Raspberry Pi(s).

E3 means I would be moving half my services back home, to make the power fees worth.

RPi(s) means low consumption of power, and power bills that don't cost a bomb.

• edited August 2016

@theroyalstudent said:

@ALinuxNinja said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@doghouch said:

@jh said:

Toilet.

Intending to run:

• Tinc

Not gonna get any power sucking Atoms into my house, unfortunately. It's either an E3 server (gotta find the money to import it?) or Raspberry Pi(s).

E3 means I would be moving half my services back home, to make the power fees worth.

RPi(s) means low consumption of power, and power bills that don't cost a bomb.

Nah, not that much power.

http://ark.intel.com/products/36331/Intel-Atom-Processor-N270-512K-Cache-1_60-GHz-533-MHz-FSB

vyos@tor-01:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor   : 0
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 28
    model name  : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz
    stepping    : 2
    microcode   : 0x20a
    cpu MHz     : 1600.000
    cache size  : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 2
    core id     : 0
    cpu cores   : 1
    apicid      : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fdiv_bug    : no
    f00f_bug    : no
    coma_bug    : no
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 10
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dtherm
    bogomips    : 3191.88
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
    power management:

processor   : 1
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 28
    model name  : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz
    stepping    : 2
    microcode   : 0x20a
    cpu MHz     : 1600.000
    cache size  : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 2
    core id     : 0
    cpu cores   : 1
    apicid      : 1
    initial apicid  : 1
    fdiv_bug    : no
    f00f_bug    : no
    coma_bug    : no
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 10
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dtherm
    bogomips    : 3191.88
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
    power management:

And yes, it's ancient, but it is powerful enough to be a router. It has one interface, which limits a bit what I can do with QoS, but otherwise works just fine with VyOS and pfSense

• @ALinuxNinja

Exact same setup as me at home. Samsung N130, Atom N270, 2GB and 160GB HDD.

Currently upgrading to an Atom D2550 board I got for £5 off eBay :D got 6 of them for £5 :P

• edited August 2016

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    @ALinuxNinja

Currently upgrading to an Atom D2550 board I got for £5 off eBay :D got 6 of them for £5 :P

We have the same shitty netbook lol, just that mine has 1GB RAM

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @ALinuxNinja said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    @ALinuxNinja

We have the same shitty netbook lol, just that mine has 1GB RAM

Had mine since new 2008 :D. Used it as a laptop till 2014 running Windows 8 until it got Debian on this January haha.

Recommend 2GB in it ;)

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Everyone has that shitty netbook. You can pick them up for about £50 in the UK second-hand now and they're spot-on for use as home servers or a nice portable Linux device.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Nekki said:
    Everyone has that shitty netbook. You can pick them up for about £50 in the UK second-hand now and they're spot-on for use as home servers or a nice portable Linux device.

Thin clients you can pull for £20-30. Only advantages of netbook is built in screen etc and battery backup

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@Nekki said:

Thin clients you can pull for £20-30. Only advantages of netbook is built in screen etc and battery backup

Those are good advantages to have for a portable device, some would say essential.

• @Nekki said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@Nekki said:

Those are good advantages to have for a portable device, some would say essential.

Agreed but as a home server only battery backup is the advantage. Which is the main thing annoying me about upgrading mine.

• @OpticalSwoosh I'll take your RaspPi B for €4 :o

If it's still available and not stolen by @theroyalstudent pls that's really cheap :P