Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Temporary VPS Site - Loan out your unused LEBs - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Temporary VPS Site - Loan out your unused LEBs

Comments

• @BronzeByte said: If they need it they should just buy it >.> And for "some tests" we have @serverbear <3 you can always ask the provider for a trial VPS to test

don't you dare say that people should actually pay for their VPS`es, @DStrout doesn't like that

• @Bogdacutuu - Where would LET be without people like you?
    No, really. I'd really like to see an LET without people like you.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@Bogdacutuu said: don't you dare say that people should actually pay for their VPS`es, @DStrout doesn't like that

I lost faith in LET:

• people either expect extreme good quality and high specs for not a penny more than their budget
    • people try to "change the world" with the most retarded ideas to save money

ECONOMICS 101: MONEY NEEDS TO ROLL!

• I am not even gonna start on @BronzeByte. but @DStrout great Idea but to find actual providers that will allow this will be few and far between in mt opinion.

• @DStrout said: @Bogdacutuu - Where would LET be without people like you?

No, really. I'd really like to see an LET without people like you.

Yeah, so I'm not allowed to state my opinion (which is perfectly valid) on this forum?

My opinion stands: If a person needs a VPS (for whatever reason) that badly, they will and should bother searching for a reputable provider that offers hourly billing, it's not that hard.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@24khost said: I am not even gonna start on @BronzeByte. but @DStrout great Idea but to find actual providers that will allow this will be few and far between in mt opinion.

Why would you allow this, just let the people buy their own VPS, you need to live too, hosting isn't a fucking charity FFS

• I officially abandon this thread. I will build this. If people are interested, let them use it. If not, argue about it here. I'm not going to take any further part in the discussion*.

*That word is used semi-sarcastically.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Bogdacutuu it's not quite the issue you described, I'm talking about any vetting process needing to ensure that the beneficiary is competent enough in securing the container to ensure 3rd parties don't gain access and misuse it.

• @Bogdacutuu said: My opinion stands: If a person needs a VPS (for whatever reason) that badly, they will and should bother searching for a reputable provider that offers hourly billing, it's not that hard.

Well, thanks :P

• @Nekki said: it's not quite the issue you described, I'm talking about any vetting process needing to ensure that the beneficiary is competent enough in securing the container to ensure 3rd parties don't gain access and misuse it.

There's no way of securing the container in such a way that the user won't be able to abuse it in any way. (+ most users will expect full root access on the servers they borrow)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Bogdacutuu I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Irrelevant now anyway as the OP seems to be forging ahead despite the concerns raised.

• @Nekki said: I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Irrelevant now anyway as the OP seems to be forging ahead despite the concerns raised.

Ignorance is a bitch

• Temporary VPS Site - Loan out your unused LEBs

If you wish to have your VPS account canceled, WHMCS has a "cancel" account" feature you can use. Using it would save your host a lot of grief. Or you could cancel your account the hard way by loaning it out to someone you trust (trust that is based solely on liking their posts on LET not because you know anything about them), having them abuse the TOS, and your host canceling your account and banning you. The WHMCS cancel button seems like a better choice than the Loan it out and get terminated option.

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited March 2013

@DomainBop said: The WHMCS cancel button seems like a better choice than the Loan it out and get terminated option.

I don't see any difference

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Bogdacutuu said: I don't see any difference

You remain in good standing with the host if you just cancel?

• @Nekki said: You remain in good standing with the host if you just cancel?

True, I was just kidding there.
    I consider this idea bad, both for the VPS owners and for the users.

• We were working on an idea for people to gift users a VPS, but ran into the same problems (i.e. the person using the VPS might not be the same details as the person who bought it).

We haven't thrown the idea out, would just probably need to build some sort of WHMCS plugin.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited March 2013

Although I have several unused LEB, I won't trust anyone here (or anywhere else) to use them.

I want to sleep well at night.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jcaleb said: I want to sleep well at night.

And that's what being a provider is like, not being able to sleep at night. Until, of course, you get all the right checks in place. But a person lending out a VPS without control over the host node cannot have the right checks in place. I sleep well because I know they can't stop me from being alerted to their activity.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

"Borrower can request VPS for a max of 5 days." What is the point?

• If someone needs a VPS for a legitimate reason, he must be ready to shell out money. $5 or $7 is not a lot of money. And if a person does not have money, but will use for a good purpose, there are lots of providers here with a kind heart willing to sponsor.

• HoloshedHoloshed Member
    edited March 2013

I will admit I actually like the idea if it would work but just as others have said, there is just too big of a potential for abuse. Even if someone here is seen as trusted by a few, behind the scenes there is still poop slinging because in the end business and even money spent (original buyer of vps) makes people possessive and judgmental. Just because you see someone as trusted here does not mean you know what they do in their own time or what they would use with your vps. There is a reason the low end box market has to do some darn good fraud checks that include gut feeling too. If you have to do fraud checks for cheap cheap boxes (even looking to be sure the person who paid legit isnt abusing it) then think of how it plays out for free with no way to actually verify someone.

You know the best way I can say it? Look in a public bathroom. Look at how it is treated and maintained not by the staff of the location but by its own users. Now think of that person's home bathroom. Do you think they will throw toilet paper on the floor and not pick it up then just walk out, or even worse (trying not to be gross)?

I always try to put situations in an alternate scenario just to look at human behavior, if you cannot find it working in one situation it generally will not work in another.

People do not play pretty with other people's stuff.

• Even lending it out for 15mins is enough to get a lot of abuse. Someone can run an install script to send DDoS, to send spam, to do whatever. Unless the VPS is really slow - a few minutes is more than enough to cause harm.

A short lend or not it has been lent out. There is liability over this. I don't know if a provider has to disallow it, but regardless, if an abuse report of sorts arrives at a provider, I'm sure they'll suspend you. If your reasoning is that you've lent it out, you'll likely be terminated. It's something you own and need to manage.

• @concerto49 said: If your reasoning is that you've lent it out, you'll likely be terminated.

@concerto49 Exactly. This is why most EULA for say online services even outside of LEB/VPS say no sharing of your account. They do this because if "your brother" logs on your account and gets you banned (think MMORPG), they still consider it your account that you let them use and thus you become the one banned.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited March 2013

As a person who's given out a free year's VPS...

I just had them register and purchase it and then send me the paypal link to pay their invoice.

No I will not pay your next invoice.

• @DStrout if it means any thing I am completely aware of how neurotic and pompous I am. I can tell you want to hit a home run with a cool new web service. In my humble opinion though it's not so much the idea but the execution that matters. Scrambling to throw some thing together nowadays just isn't a good strategy. Work on some thing that looks cool and uses some neat interactive UI or whatever if you ask me. I learned a long time ago not to drive myself nuts over my awesome ideas. I have had more notice from projects I did for myself that other people just thought were kinda cool. And no I have not had one snow ball into some famous site yet. But I still can use what I do for myself and that makes me a happy code puppy. Just my two.

• @HalfEatenPie said: As a person who's given out a free year's VPS...

@HalfEatenPie That is impressive and I commend it! The only problem with doing a good deed is that it draws a crowd of the wrong kind who want a "piece of the action."

• @Holoshed said: The only problem with doing a good deed is that it draws a crowd of the wrong kind who want a "piece of the action."

Well I know the providers I give free VPSes from, so if there's any problem I can talk to the providers directly about it.

Now yeah it does draw the wrong people but personally I wouldn't give one to someone without knowing them.

• @Holoshed yeah the ten bucks per ten second crowd..