Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Temporary VPS Site - Loan out your unused LEBs - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Temporary VPS Site - Loan out your unused LEBs

Comments

• @Bogdacutuu said: I fail to understand how someone needs a VPS so badly but can't even be bothered to Google for a reliable provider.

If you fail to understand why someone would want a temp VPS to test some stuff for a few days but doesn't want to pay for a full month of service, then I certainly can't explain it to you. Sorry. Goodbye.

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited March 2013

@DStrout said: If you fail to understand why someone would want a temp VPS to test some stuff for a few days but doesn't want to pay for a full month of service, then I certainly can't explain it to you. Sorry. Goodbye.

Read both your and my replies again, there are hourly providers that basically allow you to do anything legal on their servers. (there are also people who want to run illegal stuff on others' servers, who would of course prefer your service over a conventional cloud server provider)

• This would work only if you limited just about everything, and/or had complete control over the containers. Not sure how freevps does it, but why not help them instead?

• @blergh_ said: This would work only if you limited just about everything, and/or had complete control over the containers. Not sure how freevps does it, but why not help them instead?

FreeVPS gives servers based on how active you are on the forums, your reputation (and last time I've been there they also took into measure how big your posts were).

• @Bogdacutuu said: FreeVPS gives servers based on how active you are on the forums, your reputation (and last time I've been there they also took into measure how big your posts were).

Which is similar to what I propose - VPS owners loaning out their VPSes could themselves check on the reputation of the user they're considering loaning to, since the borrower has to be registered on LET.

• OK, just to be clear:

Borrower has to be an LET user with at least 25 posts and registered for at least a week.
    Borrower must state usage of VPS, which lender can/should check.
    Borrower can only borrow one VPS every 30 days.
    Borrower can request VPS for a max of 5 days.
    Lender retains full control of the VPS (at least through SolusVM).
    Lenders can report borrowers that are misusing loaned VPSes.

Where is there room for abuse here?

• JacobJacob Member

I would be ok with this aslong as it's moderated.

• I'm happy my thread gave you that idea :)

The idea will be awesome and I think it is possible to do. However it should be possible to create a request and everybody that got a spare one can decide if he trusts you or not.

It doesn't differs much from asking here. Someone who joined less than a hour ago won't get one fast.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

@Jacob - You as a person or you as a provider?

@taronyu said: It doesn't differs much from asking here.

Yes, just much more coordinated.

• @DStrout said: @Jacob - You as a person or you as a provider?

wait, aren't providers people too?

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

Yes, but I'm wondering if he's saying that as a provider, he would prevent his users from submitting to such a system, or if he himself (as a person) would contribute some of his own VPSes to the system.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2013

@Bogdacutuu Nah, we're more superior. XD

@DStrout just to clarify I'm ok with both.

• Without sounding like a scrooge, this is not something i would want a part in.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@DStrout There is a simple rule that implies everywhere - if possible, cut the middle man.
    Not following that rule may result in loss of efficiency and integrity.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Without sounding like a scrooge, this is not something i would want a part in.

I understand, but I would encourage you (and everyone, really) to (re)read the first post. I've added a list of important abuse-preventing restrictions, as well as mentioned a borrower/lender review system.

• SolusVM client API could be useful here ;0

• @DStrout said: Borrower has to be an LET user with at least 25 posts and registered for at least a week.

Borrower must state usage of VPS, which lender can/should check.
    Lenders can report borrowers that are misusing loaned VPSes.

The big problem is that once the borrower abuses the server, the lender will lose access to it too (if the provider finds out, since most providers won't care that it's loaned).

• JacobJacob Member

@GetKVM_Ash Well, you did. Way to go party pooper. :'(

I doubt this project will get off the ground (Sorry @DStrout) but never the less it's a good idea, if moderated correctly.

• @Janevski - Sometimes a middle man to coordinate things can increase efficiency.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

@Jacob said: if moderated correctly

I've mentioned about a bazillion ways in this discussion that this would have the pants moderated off it. Can't we as LET users trust each other? Anyway, you guys keep arguing about it. I'm going AFK for a while.

• @DStrout said: Can't we as LET users trust each other?

Definitely not. :)

• @Bogdacutuu said: Definitely not. :)

Agreed.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@DStrout said: @Janevski - Sometimes a middle man to coordinate things can increase efficiency.

As i said, if possible - cut the middle man, if not possible then the presence of a middleman node is the current most efficient mode in the system.
    Failing to try to cut the middleman, or failing to cut a cutable middleman is bad, and not efficient.

The serialization of nodes will lead to increased risk of failure, thus damaging the integrity of the system, within a relatively bigger system.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@DStrout said: If you fail to understand why someone would want a temp VPS to test some stuff for a few days but doesn't want to pay for a full month of service, then I certainly can't explain it to you.

Personally I think the numerous hourly providers already fill this niche - Amazon, Google, DigitalOcean, Azure, etc. I'm sure there are numerous others - really, no shortage of places to get a VPS for an hour.

I suppose with lots of restrictions it could work - e.g., a special "borrower" template in Solus that turns off SMTP, caps I/O and cpu, etc. But it'd have to be done with a custom kernel lest the borrower evade and...already way too much work.

Potential abuse will kill this idea.

@24khost said: We would not allow are vps's to be eligible for this. Any of our vps would have the members accounts being canceled.

Interesting...so if I had a VPS from you I couldn't share root with a friend or colleague? That's really all this amounts to.

• @raindog308 said: I suppose with lots of restrictions it could work - e.g., a special "borrower" template in Solus that turns off SMTP, caps I/O and cpu, etc. But it'd have to be done with a custom kernel lest the borrower evade and...already way too much work.

This also needs support from the actual providers.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Aside for trust issues, doesn't this also rely on the beneficiary being technically astute so they don't leave gaping holes in security for malicious exploitation? Not sure how you would go about vetting that.

• @Nekki said: Aside for trust issues, doesn't this also rely on the beneficiary being technically astute so they don't leave gaping holes in security for malicious exploitation? Not sure how you would go about vetting that.

That's the same problem I've described. There's no way of knowing whether the person who loans the VPS actually does what it is supposed to do.

• the only other issue, that you may run into is TOS Violations, with the fact that the person using the vps is not the person who purchased it.

• @DStrout said: You might not need this service, but others might.

If they need it they should just buy it >.> And for "some tests" we have @serverbear <3 you can always ask the provider for a trial VPS to test

• @raindog308 what you do personally with your friends I can't track. But when posting to a website, hey person I don't even know you can use my vps for 5 days, now don't do anything that violates the terms of service is different. I don't spy on what people or who is using the box in general. Unless they cause issues. This though opens a whole different can of worms.