Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalEH stopping VPS services - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalEH stopping VPS services

13»

Comments

• @DomainBop "If someone isn't a seasoned server admin they shouldn't even think of starting a hosting company ".

I will agree and disagree. Unless you have a technical team that are seasoned system admins. Also running a shared host -vs- running a vps company are different. Also you can be a sales guy and not a technical guy. Just have to learn your info.

• SPSP Member

I just want to publicly state that I really appreciate everything that is said here regarding under-prepared providers. The few times I thought I were ready to fire up, I read something about someone failing because of something I hadn't thought of. Not that this can really prepare anyone for what is going to happen, but I think that it definitely helps to bring it to light. Especially when OP mentioned only selling 3 VPS' when he was expecting to sell out; this is exactly my thought. Offering a super cheap server does not guarantee that people will buy it. Really makes me want to rethink how we are going about this whole thing. Not that I want to quit, as we own a bunch of hardware already, but seriously need to reevaluate my expectations as to how this business model might perform.

• bla bla bla ... little respect guys ...

• I hate to bring this back up, but I just got the $1 that I asked for. The only reason that I mentioned it at all is because I received an email from the guy stating this.

That meant to me that I would be getting one. When I did not, I asked for clarification, but this guy brings the "Dick" term to a completely different level. At first, I thought you guys were just picking on him, but I see now that he deserved it. Not only did he make comments publicly about the $1 that meant so little to him, but he sent me a nice little note in the message for the refund.

For a person who supposedly makes money doing this, you have no class at all. While it is only $1, you failed to provide something that you said you would. If you don't want to face the fact that you failed that is another issue, but you have the responsibility to make things right no matter how small they might be. It is just good business practice.

It is really not my fault that you are bad at business planning or knowing what expectations customers will have. You should probably spend more time trying to develop a business plan before jumping into the deep end without knowing how to swim, so to speak.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@24khost said: Also running a shared host -vs- running a vps company are different.

Well really you need to be at least somewhat technical even if you're just a reseller, because customers will ask questions about why their Wordpress or whatever plugin isn't working.

If you're running shared hosting company on your own VPS/server, then you definitely need sysadmin skills.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@agoldenberg said: And unlike other members here I'm not asking people for money because it's against my beliefs to have a job and earn my way through life.

The only way I can interpret this, is as a covert stab at my earlier thread. Which is kind of interesting, seeing as you signed up for ReDonate to accept donations for EastCoastVPS. Apparently you have no problem with accepting donations when you are the recipient, and only take issue when they go towards others.

Classy.