Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalEH stopping VPS services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalEH stopping VPS services

Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
edited March 2013 in General

Just got this email:

Good Evening,

Effective immediately, DigitalEH development is discontinuing VPS services.

If you haven't already been refunded, you will be shortly.

We've decided that VPS hosting is something that we are not experienced enough in to continue offering reliable and dependable services.

You will have 24 hours from this email to download a copy of your files.

Service will be discontinued at 10:00PM EST Saturday, March 9th.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

-- 
Thank-you,

Andrew Goldenberg
Lead Developer
DigitalEH Design & Development

Tel: 613.700.9220

Comments

• tommytommy Member

are they crazy? only 24 hours give at least 1 week

• @Fliphost but he already announced refund at LET in same day you purchased service from him, didn't he? :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Spirit something like that. Just got the email so I figured i would post it.

• @Spirit said: @Fliphost but he already announced refund at LET in same day you purchased service from him, didn't he? :)

No, he opened a new offer thread more recently.

• We've decided that VPS hosting is something that we are not experienced enough in to continue offering reliable and dependable services.

+1 for at least being honest, admitting he has more to learn, and caring about the quality of service he was providing his customers.

• 24 hours to download files is hardly quality service.

• jhjh Member

@DStrout said: 24 hours to download files is hardly quality service.

To be fair:

@Fliphost said: we are not experienced enough in to continue offering reliable and dependable services.

• OK, but if they were already providing service, they should have been able to keep things online for a little while longer, even if for some reason the quality of service started suffering a bit. I'm personally not concerned, not having any boxes with them, but still, they need to be a bit more considerate of those who are.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I'm sorry to anyone who finds this unfair, however the most storage a single user has in use on the server is about 5GB. If you can't take the time to download that in 24 hours, then is it really that important?

I don't have enough experience to be running these servers and offering a decent experience, so I am shutting the servers down.

I already offered a full refund and time to get your files. That's all I can do. It's a small window, but really nobody has much on their VPS anyways and most people who signed up.

@DStrout the only actually active VMs on our servers are not paying customers anyways, so they don't really get a say. The 3 paying customers have been refunded and I'm pretty sure aren't even using their servers. They just signed up to hold it as a reserve that if the service got better then they would be grandfathered

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013

Even I don't know who is this n00b....
    Any briefing around?...

Edit: I know now...

@yomero you don't even know me and you make a douche comment.... Nice.

• @agoldenberg said: @yomero you don't even know me and you make a douche comment.... Nice.

I feel sorry about that.
    But I didn't found another proper comment for a business which doesn't lasted even 2 days.

/unsub

• @agoldenberg said: They just signed up to hold it as a reserve that if the service got better then they would be grandfathered

How familiar :S

(No, I am not your customer but still... how familiar!)

• That would screw me over so hard, sometimes I'm away for a week at a time.

• What's up this month, there seems to be a lot of deadpool material.

• @agoldenberg asking out of curiosity, are you offering vps for free (eastcoastvps.org) to gain some good experience?

• @vanarp said: @agoldenberg asking out of curiosity, are you offering vps for free (eastcoastvps.org) to gain some good experience?

That's what I thought... and it didn't seem a bad idea. But I guess he's shutting down everything.

I'm no longer offering any vps services. There are absolutely no margins and way too many companies doing it to make it worthwhile.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@agoldenberg Surely you knew about the margins and level of competition before you got into this short-lived venture? You don't come across as one of the loony fly-by-night hosts that we see so often these days, did you just jump into this without doing any planning at all?

I think I misunderstood the expectations of the users. What the users expect is financially unfeasible for me and I really have nothing else to say on the matter. It was a bad idea to get into hosting VPSes and I saw that relatively quickly.

• LeeLee Veteran

Well at least you are honest and whilst not much of an opportunity to move data it's still better than disappearing. Maybe others should take heed, trying to jump into the saturated LE Market is not as golden as it might first seem.

@W1V_Lee said: Maybe others should take heed, trying to jump into the saturated LE Market is not as golden as it might first seem.

This exactly.

• @DStrout said: 24 hours to download files is hardly quality service.

couldn't afford to pay invoice already past due for the dei, and his parents refused to pay..

edited March 2013

No in fact planning to keep the server. Just not the clients that are on it. Going to use it for my own vpses.

Sorry but I make money and trying to please this community is a waste of time and money.

And unlike other members here I'm not asking people for money because it's against my beliefs to have a job and earn my way through life.

• lpnlpn Member
    edited March 2013

@agoldenberg said: No in fact planning to keep the server. Just not the clients that are on it. Going to use it for my own vpses.

Sorry but I make money and trying to please this community is a waste of time and money.

And unlike other members here I'm not asking people for money because it's against my beliefs to have a job and earn my way through life.

And yet you had no problem offering service which you weren't experienced enough to provide or sustain. Kudos for offering refunds, though.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2013

@agoldenberg said: Sorry but I make money and trying to please this community is a waste of time and money.

LOL! seriously? someone seems butthurt..... awwwwww....

I was trying to give people a chance at a decent priced VPS with better specs than normal. Then everyone came in, crapped all over it, and in the end maybe 3 people signed up. 3 people is hardly enough to justify the VPSes they have, and I'd sooner but the server to use for my own purposes.

Being a web developer, my servers have enough power in them for about 20-30 testing boxes. This is likely what I will use one of them for and the other 2 I only got so that people had a choice in locations, so I really don't need to keep them.

@TheLinuxBug not butthurt at all. I'm not the one whining that I'm not offering VPSes to the public anymore. I'm here defending myself from little children who like to crack jokes about my financial situation.

I make more than enough money to support myself, my wife, our house, and my businesses and still have enough left to do whatever I want in terms of buying / renting servers.

I tried my hand at being a provider, I failed. Life goes on for me.

• The only way you're going to be offering "decent priced VPS with better specs than normal" is when you have a solid business plan, as well as economies of scale. Offering VPSes off a dedicated server that you have sitting around, isn't what the community needs. There are plenty of new hosts doing what you are trying to do, but at least they have some form of business planning since they are planning to make money from whatever they're doing. You're trying to operate a "business" in a "non-profit" way, those two things don't go together.

If you have the money to throw around, there are people who are asking for donated VPSes for LEB/installer/application script testing. Those are the people in the community you should offer help to, not the people who can easily afford to buy a $5/month 2GB VPS or the more recent 4GB offer.

And one more thing, don't blame the community for your lack of understanding of the community as it is today. Your mindset is yours alone, it's not the community's mindset until the majority of the community agrees with it.