Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalEH stopping VPS services - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalEH stopping VPS services

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2013

@agoldenberg said: I was trying to give people a chance at a decent priced VPS with better specs than normal.

Okay?

@agoldenberg said: Then everyone came in, crapped all over it, and in the end maybe 3 people signed up. 3 people is hardly enough to justify the VPSes they have, and I'd sooner but the server to use for my own purposes.

Maybe you should have done some more research and participated more in the community before just diving in without any actual experience. I am sure if you hadn't gone at this like "I have all kinds of money and I want to feel powerful and give stuff away so I am cool" and instead were humble and asked others around to help you and make suggestions you could have been successful and not only gained customers but some friends in the community. In this case your pretty much spitting in everyone's face and next you will expect us all to care what you are actually going to do with the servers, etc...

P.S. most of us really will not care

If you change your mind and attitude and want to continue to participate in this community, I welcome you to stay around and grow and learn with this community. Otherwise....

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• lpnlpn Member
    edited March 2013

@TheLinuxBug said: Maybe you should have done some more research and participated more in the community before just diving in without any actual experience. I am sure if you hadn't gone at this like "I have all kinds of money and I want to feel powerful and give stuff away so I am cool" and instead were humble and asked others around to help you and make suggestions you could have been successful and not only gained customers but some friends in the community. In this case your pretty much spitting in everyone's face and next you will expect us all to care what you are actually going to do with the servers, etc...

QFT

• You all guys always post "my 2 cents". I started to believe that you are from the Mafia, because you guys have a lot of money to trhow.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Thanks but it is this community that needs an attitude adjustment.

I'll pass.

Feel free to ban me and delete my account.

@DestroyerCo They post their 2 cents here because in real life people are already sick of hearing them. So they post here with eachother and have fun with it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Banter.

• Bye! Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

• @agoldenberg, what does this mean for the EastCoastVPS thing? Is that gone as well? If so, can you send me my $1 back?

Thanks.

You're joking right? $1 HAHAHAHAHAHA oK sending it right now! LMFAO! Such petty users here! So glad I don't deal with people here.

• tchentchen Member

For what its worth, I've seen people cut a physical cheque for less.

• You're joking right? $1 HAHAHAHAHAHA oK sending it right now! LMFAO! Such petty users here!

For what it's worth, if someone pays you for a service and you don't provide it, you should do the ethical thing and automatically refund them when you decide to deadpool your service, regardless of how small the amount is (and without them having to beg you on a forum for a refund).

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • Sorry to hear fellow canadian. Good luck with the rest ...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@agoldenberg said: You're joking right? $1 HAHAHAHAHAHA oK sending it right now! LMFAO! Such petty users here! So glad I don't deal with people here.

No class.

@DomainBop said: For what it's worth, if someone pays you for a service and you don't provide it, you should do the ethical thing and automatically refund them when you decide to deadpool your service, regardless of how small the amount is (and without them having to beg you on a forum for a refund).

Class.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy

I have no problem refunded the $1 you paid for 1GB of RAM for a MONTH. And you didn't have to beg on a public forum. You could have asked me in an email. My contact info is all over my website(s). You chose this method because you're a petty child.

Enjoy your $1

@raindog308 Public forums are full of class I hear. Welcome to the internet. Where ignorance is mistaken for intelligence every second of every day.

• I sent you an email via the contact form on your website, @agoldenberg.
    Would appreciate a response. :)
    Hopefully sort something out.

Cheers.

• @agoldenberg said: I was trying to give people a chance at a decent priced VPS with better specs than normal. Then everyone came in, crapped all over it, and in the end maybe 3 people signed up. 3 people is hardly enough to justify the VPSes they have

I thought the decision was due to the DDoS attacks from India and China but it is even serious ;-)

Lots of time on your hands there I see.

@vanarp I never once mentioned a ddos attack from China. Perhaps you should conquer reading before you try your hand at sarcasm.

I said my severs generally get brute force attacks from China and India and I have the logs to prove it.

Again I don't have to prove anything to anyone here. Everyone wants a $7 box on enterprise grade hardware with seasoned server admins running the show.

Good luck with that.

• @agoldenberg said: Lots of time on your hands there I see.

I wouldn't exactly call 5 minutes "lots of time"

• @agoldenberg said: Again I don't have to prove anything to anyone here. Everyone wants a $7 box on enterprise grade hardware with seasoned server admins running the show.
    Good luck with that.

Quite a few providers are doing this, and if you pick your clients well you'll never need to deal with technical tickets (or the need to reject to help them). Manpower can be kept at a minimum, enterprise grade hardware keeps things stable. Your assessment of the community in this case is pretty spot-on, but it's not that difficult to achieve if you have experience and planning.

• Cool down, Dude. I like your attitude, but apparently you can't handle negative comments. There's always be negative comments in every community, learn to take it, don't feed the fire and more importantly don't get burned. I suggest you take momentarily absence from here, cool yourself. Staying here at the moment will only build hatred inside of you.

You know it IS possible to offer good hardware and specs at $7. If later you still want to learn about it here, come back. Just don't bring along the pissing off each other in this thread.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@agoldenberg said: Everyone wants a $7 box on enterprise grade hardware with seasoned server admins running the show.

As mentioned in the other thread, that statement isn't true. There are a minority that want the moon on a stick, but the vast majority know that an LEB means resources will be oversold. The well-respected providers here are the ones that manage their servers in such a way that your VPS rarely feels like it.

• $7 dollar enterprise vps. You can get that with a few of us.

is this the guy that was going to give vps for donations?

• @agoldenberg You've come on here, and within one page of posts, already made yourself look like a 16 year old kid.

Gratzcake buddy.

• Shouldn't this be closed?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@agoldenberg said: Again I don't have to prove anything to anyone here. Everyone wants a $7 box on enterprise grade hardware with seasoned server admins running the show.

Good luck with that.

I've had pretty good "luck" with BuyVM, ServerDragon, Hostigation, and several others who provide exactly that.

• @raindog308 - Exactly that. Prometeus won me the SB Competition for IO/$.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

Everyone wants a $7 box ... with seasoned server admins running the show.

If someone isn't a seasoned server admin they shouldn't even think of starting a hosting company until they fully understand all aspects of server management (and the operating systems and software they deploy, etc). There is a fairly large percentage of "providers" and "CEO's" on LET and WHT who have limited knowledge, don't know their way around the command line (recent examples: hosts asking how to check mdadm, hosts asking about web based SSH, etc) , and would be helpless if they couldn't rely on the automation that Solus/CPanel, etc provides.

If someone doesn't have a well thought out business plan they shouldn't even think of starting a hosting company until they get one (renting a cheap server from a budget datacenter and posting offers on LET and WHT isn't a business plan). The percentage of low end hosts who don't have well thought out business plans is even greater than the percentage who lack technical knowledge.

If someone doesn't have a firm grasp of business finance and accounting concepts, sales and marketing strategies, and basic knowledge of the laws that pertain to their industry and to the jurisdiction they operate in (and how to write a TOS/AUP/Privacy Policy that will stand up in court and doesn't read like it was written by a 6th grade dropout), they shouldn't even think of starting a hosting company until they acquire these skills.

If someone doesn't have a firm grasp of customer relationship management/customer service skills they shouldn't even think of starting a hosting business or any business until they acquire these skills.(in particular. knowing how to deal effectively and calmly with irate or irrational customers. Based on all of the "poor me, the customers are so mean to me, they don't show me any gratitude, I'm a martyred provider" posts on LET and WHT this skill is sorely lacking among a significant percentage of low end hosts)

A "$7 box" is not an excuse for not having the necessary skills to run a business. On the other hand, a failure to acquire these skills before opening your doors to the public is a primary reason why the majority of businesses fail within their first 3 years.