Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS database leaked? ChicagoVPS customers - change your root passwords immediately! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS database leaked? ChicagoVPS customers - change your root passwords immediately!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@CVPS_Kevin said: Our company has grown significantly since then

100 physical nodes in 4 months? Not doubting, just...dang.

• Cameron,

This is because he decrypted the file. We did not know about this until last night either as he tried to extort money from us.

In all emails when the incident happened we advised everyone to change all passwords as a precaution. The DB that was leaked is over 4 months old, and I am sorry this happened.

Regards

Chris Fabozzi
    CEO / Director of Operations
    [email protected]

As per chris...

• @zhuanyi said: @Radi said: @Mun, can you PM me the dump?

Seriously? So that you can use that to spam CVPS customers?

I AM A CUSTOMER.... NOT A Scammer.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: This "provider" happens to be someone whom I used to be very close with in the prior my employment with CVPS ;)

@CVPS_Kevin said: Sadly, Jeremiah did not leave us with plenty of information about the incident

uh.. is that who you are referring to?

• @BronzeByte said: uh.. is that who you are referring to?

Jeremiah is not a provider.

@CVPS_Kevin said: I also find it very discouraging that all the people asking for the DB here are providers

Now, you know as well as I do that with the way Chris used to run his mouth around here other providers want to know what makes him so confident :P

Doesn't matter, obviously, as the company lost it's sys admin months ago, but that probably doesn't curb most people's curiosity.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@zhuanyi I am too a customer and NOT a scammer!

• The level of stupid security through obscurity bullshit in this thread is amazing. Best practice is to assume that once it's leaked that everyone in the world has seen it, and act accordingly. At this point it shouldn't matter what the dump is used for, because it's out there. Of course the loudest person going on about how anyone asking for the dump must have malicious intent is someone who had a professional relationship with CVPS, so who can blame him for sticking up for his buddies, however misguided.

What really bugs me is that Kevin doesn't even touch on how they blamed their users for the password reset by claiming they have easy to guess passwords. Maybe the passwords weren't so easy to guess before there was a dump of the hashes floating around the internet?

A company that's willing to lie about my data being breached is willing to lie about anything. The way you handle a situation like this can make you or break you, and I think this will do irreparable harm to CVPS's already-shitty reputation.

• @Jack said: so how was the WHMCS obtained? It sounds to me like the WHMCS was comprised/pissed employ cancelled a load of orders and that terminated the clients.

It wasn't?

• @jarland said: Now, you know as well as I do that with the way Chris used to run his mouth around here other providers want to know what makes him so confident :P

Doesn't matter, obviously, as the company lost it's sys admin months ago, but that probably doesn't curb most people's curiosity.

Jeremiah's departure allowed CVPS to grow, we now have multiple sysadmins and don't rely on just one person in the drivers seat.

Also @Jarland, be careful with your little birdie ;)

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited February 2013

@Jack said: just an FYI I asked Kevin for the provider it's URPad.

@manndude / @ftnchris anything to say?

It's not I or Curtis.

FYI it's been around for a while now.

• @Jack said: Isn't this DB leak WHMCS?

It's a SolusVM DB leak, it seems.

@CVPS_Kevin said: be careful with your little birdie ;)

I wish I didn't need a translation but it's over my head ;)

• Is there any point to this now? It's starting to get libelous...

edited February 2013

@Jack said: According to someone you used to employ it was you.

It isn't me, and it's been around for a while. The Database got around to me via someone else on here a while back but it wasn't me.

edited February 2013

@Jack said: He told me that part aswell.

If he told you he was Jesus would you believe him?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2013

Kevin's not god??! WTF....

I feel cheated.

• @FTNChris said: If he told he was Jesus would you believe him?

hahahaha! that made my day.

• @DeanClinton said: Is there any point to this now? It's starting to get libelous...

Libel requires malice. Truth is also a defense against libel or slander: "Someone told me it was you." can be a 100% factual statement, and doesn't constitute libel.

But yeah, it's still stupid if the thread turns into a bunch of idiots who haven't read the thread and are only here to point fingers at each other and ask for copies of the DB, or whether it's WHMCS or Solus. Read the thread, people. Read the thread.

• @Jack said: No but doesn't this look kinda legit

When do I talk like that?

• So if Kevin made a claim a provider threatened him over skype with it, he should have full documentation of the chat log. That would kinda tell who it is. Regardless. There should be no finger pointing. Kevin already said he changed all the passwords that needed changing. looks like maybe they spread some of the burden of thier vps's over more servers so took up more nodes. Not just more customers.

• DeanDean Member
    edited February 2013

@Jack - or it could be him trying to stir up sh@t again, and as he can't do it himself he may be using you to do it for him, which means you may take the fall here.

• And those aren't proper skype timestamps.

• @Jack said: No but doesn't this look kinda legit

No it doesn't.

• @Jack the one in your picture doesnt have the date in them

• LowendTalk community now is SHIT, period.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Kevin still has an active account here, its just Chris that was banned.

wtf chris was banned!?

• DeanDean Member
    edited February 2013

@DestroyeRCo said: LowendTalk community now is SHIT, period.

Where's that thanks button

@Corey said: wtf chris was banned!?

Yes, about two weeks ago.

• @DestroyeRCo said: LowendTalk community now is SHIT, period.

+1 for that. I was lynched and beaten mercilessly for posting a screenshot of a fake name and fake email address. Yet people feel that CVPS' data should be passed around freely without malice, with the reason that "LOL ITS ALREADY OUT THERE". These same people probably condone rape, because, well, rape is already happening, so why work to stop it? Fucking ridiculous.

• I am sure there are settings in skype that allow you to change how the time stamp looks.

This discussion has been closed.