Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS database leaked? ChicagoVPS customers - change your root passwords immediately! - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS database leaked? ChicagoVPS customers - change your root passwords immediately!

167891012»

Comments

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited February 2013

I honestly agree with @Damian. This community has turned bad. There is no reason to kick a provider when they're already down. It is bad enough that CVPS got hacked, I get that, but there is no reason to attempt to hurt CVPS more. What has happened to this community.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Jon and Chris are a long-time friends and as far as I know they are not hiding it. However as far as I know, Jon is not even the account manager of Chris.

• @Jack said: I slightly agree, they deserve a little kick but not a full on rant about them.

What has ChicagoVPS done that's so bad in the first place?

Yeah, I find it funny how random providers come and start bashing them. I personally am not a fan of theirs, due different reasons, however I find it extremely unprofessional for a company representive to get into an online community and start bashing another company.

The thing that would concern me is not the root password getting leaked, it is the WHMCS DB getting leaked, including hundreds of credit cards. I myself paid much more than the VPS costed, when they were first hit in November. The VPS was set to get renewd automatically from one of my CCs and as noone bothered to give me any explaination on what exactly was leaked, I had to concel and pay over 90$ (yeah 2 years fo LEB VPS) just to get it renewed and shipped overnight through DHL. The complete lack of proper responses and trying to keep the customers informed has made me to never think purchasing anotehr product from them.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Alex, we're people, not providers. How many times does that need to be said around here? "Provider" isn't some magical transformation where you stop being a customer or an individual ;)

• @jarland said: Alex, we're people, not providers. How many times does that need to be said around here? "Provider" isn't some magical transformation where you stop being a customer or an individual ;)

"Provider" means you're not supposed to have emotions or concerns about anything on this forum. Haven't you learned this yet? :P

edited February 2013

@jarland said: Alex, we're people, not providers. How many times does that need to be said around here? "Provider" isn't some magical transformation where you stop being a customer or an individual ;)

Well, we are people and at the same time we are representing our business. It is leaving a bad impression, atleast in my eyes and after talking with a couple of people in private about this thing - same goes for them, so atleast I am not alone. I can't accept the whole bashing and stepping over someone, as I realise that tommorow it could be anyone else of us.. And the rest of the individuals and people will do absolutely same thing as it is happening here.

And please note that I've also mentioend my concerns - exactly as a customer (the thing you've explained), however there are certain people that just go over the limit of anything normal.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

And yeah this thread clearly got out of hand. Lets not forget how many of these posts are people saying "This is out of hand."

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2013

Ok, CVPS are no saints, they have actually grown on me over time to be honest, even with Kevin there. But dig deep enough into many of the providers here and the shit will float to the top quickly enough.

Chris really comes across as a total ass but he is smart enough to keep people talking about CVPS almost constantly on here over the past year. Love or hate him his marketing is different but clearly works.

I am really not too fussed about this DB leak, I am just really surprised it took so long to emerge and indeed I thought it had as I was sent a link to it a good couple of months ago and changed all my passwords etc. It was clearly connected to the major event last year so yeah I am over it and without doubt the lies and cover up of what really happened.

I have a VPS in every of their locations including a 3GB plan in Atlanta, nothing I can say against them at all other than the Chicago box is a bit slow but not painfully so.

So that aside.

We see everyone questioning the volume on their nodes. But really, given their customer base which is far higher than most around here I don't see too many complaints about them proportionally speaking. So whatever they put on a node it seems to be working out fine. So what business is it of anyone else? Or is it jealousy that they can, it works and have the customers to do it?

As already mentioned, the deals that most offer probably get so under used that what difference does it make if any provider has 20 or 200 on a node if it runs fine?

Well that is actually where I edge towards CVPS and others that I use. All will oversell to one degree or another but my reasoning in taking a 3GB VPS from CVPS And having a fairly high degree of confidence even knowing they will oversell it quite substantially is that they as others I use have the sense, ability, funds and willingness to bring new nodes online when demand dictates and/or move a VPS to less used node where required if you are not happy.

But yet many in my view posting on LEB/LET or even in this thread are a long way from that level, have very few nodes and whilst the shit is not floating to the top for them as yet, when it does you will find they are conjuring all sorts of lies about themselves to promote a service and are overselling as much on a comparative basis to CVPS if they had as many customers.

Everyone is trying to make money at $7 or less on here, for some it may be a small percentage of your income however for others it may be a very high percentage either way it means you need to fit a lot of customers on every node to pay your service bills and live if it's your main income earner. You are kidding yourself if you think CVPS are the only ones with this kind of loading.

As I said, this recent event with the CVPS DB is water under the bridge for me at least due to it being very old news and whilst that still does not excuse what is out there all you can do is QQ more until the next provider gets caught out, which won't be long, I am sure.

I bet CVPS actually gained customers today, it's strange world huh :)

Bottom line, not one fuck shall be given for me as a customer providing what I pay for works as I want and expect.

On a side note, I predict catalyst will be the next of the "most reliable" providers on my list. I like their shop.

Bet your pissed you felt the need to read all this too..

• We're supposed to cheer for scummy companies who've treated their customers like shit from day one? I remember when the first CVPS offer hit over on LEB, Chris was there calling people idiots in the comments. He's acted like a seeping anal cancer from day one.

The whole community isn't bad just because we're taking a bit of schadenfreude in watching karma take its course. It's human nature. You seriously expect us to be nice to every provider here just because they're providers?

I'm not sure you'll ever find a community you like if your definition of "community" is that we all like each other all the time.

• @jarland said: And yeah this thread clearly got out of hand.

Yes, and it should have been closed hours ago. @liam @chief @god.

• @sleddog said: Yes, and it should have been closed hours ago. @liam @chief @god.

THIS.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I do agree, this is getting fairly out of hand and quite derailed, even for LET standards ( :P ). It's not getting anywhere, the same points over and over again, just getting tiresome, so this thread will be closed. :)

This discussion has been closed.