Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS database leaked? ChicagoVPS customers - change your root passwords immediately! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS database leaked? ChicagoVPS customers - change your root passwords immediately!

Comments

• @soluslabs

Thanks for helping in spreading everybody's root passwords, very good product (for hackers)

• Can someone send me the dump as well, i need to check my data. :(

• fislefisle Member
    edited February 2013

Thanks for helping in spreading everybody's root passwords, very good product (for hackers)

To me they look a lot like base64 encoded passwords but I am no expert with hashes.

• @BronzeByte said: Thanks for helping in spreading everybody's root passwords, very good product (for hackers)

Should probably tag @let on that, too.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

Then use your not-so-common sense and change the password with "passwd" instead of maintaining the same one you used at sign up. I always sign up with "bullshitpass" and then change it afterwards since i know they are logged in SolusVM and WHMCS.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited February 2013

@fisle said: The root passwords are all hashed in the database OP linked. Atleast in vservers table. Am I missing something?

If root password is re-assigned upon reinstallation, they are not hashed. I do remember my root password not working after reinstall, could it be some providers are hashing them after all? Otherwise, someone should notify all ChicagoVPS clients their root passwords have been compromised ...

@fisle said: The root passwords are all hashed in the database OP linked. Atleast in vservers table. Am I missing something?

Or people are using really long random passwords?

@fisle said: To me they look a lot like base64 encoded passwords

So plain text it is

• @Damian said: They probably don't (does anyone?), and that's my point: consider that your personal data is already in the database, and so it's now being passed around without consideration.

Nice.... And I was happy that I didn't had anything to do with CVPS anymore. Now I need to change all my passwords -_-

• @Damian said: Should probably tag @let on that, too.

You act like LET made and spreaded the dump, anybody could post it on some forum.

• @vedran said: Or people are using really long random passwords?

I highly doubt everyone uses passwords that are constructed in a same way. Lots of them end in "=" or "==". (As many base64 encoded)
    Anyway, I tried to decode some but they return garbage. Salted atleast.

• @BronzeByte said: You act like LET made and spreaded the dump

I've read the entire thread...

@BronzeByte said: anybody could post it on some forum.

I fail to see how this vindicates the action; please educate me.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Could.somebody please PM me the db? Thanks

• @Mun said: Seems like all VM root passwords are in there, and about 35% of the solus web login password hashes are bruteforced

Only SolusVM part has been taken?

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited February 2013

Nevermind

• Some parts in the db (console passwords, root passwords, ftp backup passwords) are encrypted. Yo get the key from solusvm.conf. (http://docs.solusvm.com/moving_the_master)

• @Damian said: please educate me.

I could go on WHT and post it so people grasp it quickly before it gets removed / censored like here.

• I was just sent a html file which contains the data from the database and it also includes MySQL config file (including the password encryption key).

So yes, if the file is legit database dump, root passwords have been compromised

• Root passwords aren't hashed and open to the public, suggest all server owner who had a vps from November 2012 or earlier change there password :(

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@BronzeByte said: Thanks for helping in spreading everybody's root passwords, very good product (for hackers)

if people here didn't send it to everyone else ... the root passwords would never have gone out.

@shovenose said: Could.somebody please PM me the db? Thanks

no

• @MikHo said: if people here didn't send it to everyone else ...

The leakers were PM'ing multiple people

• @NickM said: there are legitimate reasons for wanting the database. The file is already out there, somewhere. The "bad guys" already have it, so not releasing it isn't really going to help anyone.

I'm just going to see if there is any of my info, jeez! When the WHMCS hack happened I opened it, looked for my info, saw it in there, changed my password, and moved on.

• @BronzeByte said: here are legitimate reasons for wanting the database. The file is already out there, somewhere. The "bad guys" already have it, so not releasing it isn't really going to help anyone.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MikHo said: if people here didn't send it to everyone else ... the root passwords would never have gone out to the people here.

Fixed. Who knows how many hands this has passed through? Whoever got into their solusvm clearly had malicious intent. I highly doubt they were sitting on this database without any intent on using it for equally malicious purposes.

Glad this came out so that clients can be aware of it, though it should have been made clear by CVPS in the beginning. Obviously you should assume the data was compromised originally, but if anyone got caught with their pants down wondering just what information was distributed, they can put that to rest.

No one likes to admit being compromised, but if it happens all you can do is try to minimize the damage by letting your clients know.

@BronzeByte said: The leakers were PM'ing multiple people

If a person jumps of a bridge, would you do it to ?
    Why help sending the db to people who shouldn't have it ?

Customers should have it. As such I don't see why every body else but me can have it.

• @MikHo said: Why help sending the db to people who shouldn't have it ?

I don't

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: As such I don't see why every body else but me can have it.

The only giving it out was @Raymii by not censoring out the link from the beginning

and of course the sender of that Pm

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited February 2013

First off, last night I was being threatening by another provider here (whom I have on Skype) on the "possible" chance he has our database. This "provider" happens to be someone whom I used to be very close with in the prior my employment with CVPS ;) Knowing how he always tends to "play around" and act immature, I was definitely not inclined to believe him hence did not say anything about it, but for good measure simply because I take something like this very seriously, I still immediately reset all SolusVM passwords and sent out that email.

@BronzeByte, After receiving access to the database this morning, this seems related to the hack in November 2012 and the database is in fact old. Our company has grown significantly since then, we are at over 150 physical servers at this point of time (to be exact, 160). Screenshot attached below.

I suggest all customers who signed up to us prior November 2012 to reset their VPS Control panel and root passwords as well. Sadly, Jeremiah did not leave us with plenty of information about the incident in November and left when things were at a pile of mess, and I was not with CVPS during that time, but what I can say is I have been working closely to analyze further details about it and have changed every aspect of what I think could be related with the hack, all the way from API keys to backup server passwords to node ID key passwords, because you can't play around when it comes to security. We have not had any VMs compromised from any other event other than the November 2012 incident, and again the database seems to be related with this.

I also find it very discouraging that all the people asking for the DB here are providers, and likely have malicious intents with it, but the database is useless now in terms of gaining access to anything as the whole nine yards have been covered and changed.

• @Radi said: @Mun, can you PM me the dump?

Seriously? So that you can use that to spam CVPS customers?

This discussion has been closed.