Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap VPS [64MB/5GB/1IPv4/250GB] at $1.99 a year - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap VPS [64MB/5GB/1IPv4/250GB] at $1.99 a year

1235»

Comments

• @kingpin said:

@Kobe said:
    Is their TUN/TAP working consistently yet? Or is it disabled upon reboot?

/dev/net/tun still doesn't persist across reboots, unfortunately. Otherwise I've had no problems with my box.

@sentris, take a look here. We want TUN/TAP to persist, not having it persist ruins it for us :(

• kkrajkkkrajk Member

b6688 said: I think I am lucky

Nope. You are like everyone else.

The vm just works (It worked for me flawless until it dropped packets and I lost connection (to the vm not the internet) when I was in the middle of working on the vm and subsequent ssh connections would'nt honor reboot command from within ssh. Tried restarting (in the hopes of a restart might fix it magically) and then it wouldn't come up ever. No way other than to reinstall but each reinstall costs $2. Hence I just let it die after unsuccessfully trying to get it reinstalled for free.) .

** It is the reinstall clause that is the real PITA **

On the plus side, @sentris offered to offer me a one time free reinstall(eventhough their TOS says otherwise) after initially sounding rude (perception/reality), but felt that the process offered to claim it wasnt worth it. So I never took it.

Bottomline - The VM just works AFAIK.

@sentris - Please don't take it wrong but how hard would it be to facilitate a reinstall button to have the customers reinstall their vms on demand for free (if only for 4 times or so a year)

• b6688b6688 Member

@kingpin, not to confuse you. I setup the OpenVPN in the initial stage but found out not consistent. I have to admit that although my OpenVPN service is running but not using this VPS for vpn. I am sorry for the confusion. I just use this box for lemp currently without reboot it.

For OpenVPN, you need to do this.

1. Login to their control panel
      http://www.sentris.net/billing/clientarea.php

2. Under VPS Management

3. Click on "Stop VPS" and then
    4. Click on "Start VPS"

@ez2uk, ok. as I said. Maybe I am lucky. My VPS is running till today. From the $ top information, I might need to stop the OpenVPN as I am no longer using it in this box. The LEMP are still running fine. For the re-installation, they are very weird as it require you to join the forum and make some post there. Then, you can claim for one time free reinstall which is very inconveniences for us.

For VPS, usually I wouldn't login to the Control Panel to stop/start the vps. Most of the time, if requires to restart, I will ssh into the box and reboot. I don't found any issue with it yet. The problem I had is due to the limited RAM 64MB, I was not able to automatically execute the "yum" command as it was being killed. Hence, I only able to update the package by downloading all the package and execute it manually. This is how I manually update the system.

Disabling fastest mirror plugin of ‘yum’: 

vi /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf
    =======================================================
    enabled=0

Enabled keepcache for all rpm files available in cache folder for update / upgrade purpose

vi /etc/yum.conf
    keepcache=1

yum update

cd /var/cache/yum/i386/6/base/packages/
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

cd /var/cache/yum/i386/6/updates/packages/
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

cd /var/cache/yum/i386/6/extras/packages/
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

cd /var/cache/yum/i386/6/epel/packages/
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

cd /var/cache/yum/i386/6/remi/packages
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

cd /var/cache/yum/i386/6/remi-php56/packages/
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

DO NOT RUN CLEAN ALL BEFORE UPDATE / UPGRAADE
    yum clean all

• kingpinkingpin Member
    edited June 2016

@b6688 said:
    I am sorry for the confusion.

It's ok man.

For OpenVPN, you need to do this.

1. Login to their control panel
      http://www.sentris.net/billing/clientarea.php

2. Under VPS Management

3. Click on "Stop VPS" and then
    4. Click on "Start VPS"

Right, I've done it a dozen times and it works… well, before your VPS gets rebooted with the host following the maintenance or you reboot it from the shell, in which case /dev/net/tun is not created automatically and you have to stop/start the box manually via the control panel which is awkward.

Thanked by 1b6688
  • colingptcolingpt Member
    edited June 2016

just bought a $75/3y plan, and found this:

curious about why these guys take reinstall so serious? Never see similar thing in other providers. hope these guys can last long enough

@sentris

• DamianDamian Member

colingpt said: curious about

Limiting OS reinstalls is common, you usually just don't see it listed somewhere and it's usually a high number. Customers like to hammer OS reisntalls to "fix" problems instead of fixing the problem directly, and there's resources involved with OS reinstalls.

What's more interesting is the statement itself:

"Limits like Bandwidth may change to the new limit if you reinstall" but doesn't give you anymore information. How do you know if your limits will change? Is it luck of the draw?

"When busy, give it at least 2 hours to finish" but no indication given when busy.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • Damian said:

What's more interesting is the statement itself:

"Limits like Bandwidth may change to the new limit if you reinstall" but doesn't give you anymore information. How do you know if your limits will change? Is it luck of the draw?

"When busy, give it at least 2 hours to finish" but no indication given when busy.

fair enough. actually, i did reinstall once just a few minus ago, and it only took like 5 sec to finish. im "lucky" enough that haven't see any change on my resource....

those rules really need to be more clear so we don't have to take chance....

• RamiRami Member
    edited June 2016

This reinstall thing is not good :(

Anyway I had 2 VPS one without reinstall and the second with free reinstall both are working fine I'm using one of them as OpenVPN server and it's working fine though, the second is idle until I find something for it :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So first, it's totally cool for people to find offers in the wild and share them here.

Second, if people buy and enjoy, party on and have fun.

But I wanted to point out on this one...I wouldn't support giving this company a provider tag here (not that they're asking, but they're in our market). We don't allow people to post here asking for TE, so I don't think we'd allow offers from a provider who openly targets the market.

As @Nyr pointed out: http://freeserver.us/make-money/

"In your hitleap, click Traffic Exchange and download/install Hitleap viewer on your VPS, leave the viewer running"

Thanked by 2Rami Francisco