Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to Delimiter? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happened to Delimiter?

Comments

• lazytlazyt Member

The Ghetto means adding to something tie make it work in a way it was not designed to work.

Water cooling and custom kernels don't compare to having to add USB and power supplies plus adding extradrives to a system that was designed not to have them.

Compared to what WSI had to do OVH is just building Ricers.

Thanked by 2wwabbit Pwner
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Dam Drama, ended so fast.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran

• edited May 2016

@netomx said:
    He's a troll

Calling me a troll for posting on an obvious occurrence?

Interesting.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@globalRegisters said:

@netomx said:
    He's a troll

Calling me a troll for posting on an obvious occurrence?

Interesting.

Not really.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If Delimiter is to go out of business tomorrow, we still live. Just move on and leave them alone :). Everyone still breathing after their power outage... so why care?

• wwabbitwwabbit Member

I don't see Delimiter going out of business. Their parent company Yomura owns the DC they are based out of, and Delimiter is their brand providing low end dedicated servers by renting out Yomura's hand-me-down servers at highly competitive prices, and there is demand for these kind of things.

Mike is definitely still around there and they are still selling, I just got an offer through their mailing list for $10 off first month for their 55xx and 56xx servers.

• tommytommy Member

wwabbit said: I don't see Delimiter going out of business. Their parent company Yomura owns the DC they are based out of, and Delimiter is their brand providing low end dedicated servers by renting out Yomura's hand-me-down servers at highly competitive prices, and there is demand for these kind of things.

yup, we already know about that, based what 'he' said.

• lazytlazyt Member

As compared to what you say?

• RyanDRyanD Member

wwabbit said: I don't see Delimiter going out of business. Their parent company Yomura owns the DC they are based out of, and Delimiter is their brand providing low end dedicated servers by renting out Yomura's hand-me-down servers at highly competitive prices, and there is demand for these kind of things.

Mike is definitely still around there and they are still selling, I just got an offer through their mailing list for $10 off first month for their 55xx and 56xx servers.

Just to be clear they do not "OWN" a DC, they lease a space in a building, about 4,000sqft on the 17th floor of 55 Marietta Street. They pay rent like everyone else. You can look up their records in companieshouse, they, like everyone else, can go out of business. (this is a general statement, there is nothing that says they are headed in that direction)

From here, this is my opinion as a business owner, running an entity that is a good many orders of magnitude larger (based upon their stated companieshouse revenue figures), in the same metro market, and having previously (for 5 years) operated an 8,000sqft facility within the same building and having decomissioned it due to the economics of operating in that building (we subsequently built a new 500kw power system into our other building as the $1.5mm investment into infrastructure was a better move).

They are playing in a very, very, competitive market. Regardless of how they acquire their hardware from a parent (Yomura), even if the hardware itself is free, hardware, particularly older hardware, has ongoing maint costs, higher operational costs, and a shorter equipment life-span in a market where the top-line retail value of the equipment is essentially in a free-fall for things that are not current or 1 gen back.

There are major differences between someone like Wholesale/Nocix and Delimiter/Yomura. Wholesale owns the dirt, owns the building, owns every piece of the infrastructure. They even own the dark fiber in the ground that links the POP(s). They operate at scale, take advantage of tax abatements, savings, credits, etc. Things that are available to companies at scale in developing metro markets. Delimiter on the other hand is a lease holder in an office tower, they are subject to local property taxes without abatements, they are subject to non-negotiated building forced power rates, they are subject to ever increasing rent (annualized ramps), they do not own the infrastructure be it gen/cooling tower/ or even hvac units that came with the space. They are subject to fees per breakered amp @480v for access to generator power, they do not control the maint or lack there of on power delivery.

There is something to be said about the low end market that it's purely price driven.. However, you have to take into account the attitude. Yes, your customers are cheap, but you can only treat them like dirt for so long and be so abrasive before people stop coming. Given that corners must absolutely be cut to maintin some level of price competition with someone like Wholesale who has all of the advantages of already operating at scale. They can only compete on price so hard and actually clear a few % of margin. Any negative impact in sales can easily derail that train.

• ^^ agree 100% with @RyanD.

Just want to add: that it's companies like Delimiter and Dacentec that keep the low end server market competitive.

So we need them to thrive (but in the case of Delimiter with better customer relations).

Thanked by 1RyanD
  • wwabbitwwabbit Member

Well, haters can rejoice! It looks like Delimiter have phased out the Dual E5420 and no longer offer that on their site. A month ago they were making offers to Dual E5420 customers to pay a one time fee of $250 to upgrade to Dual L5630s. Does this spell trouble for the future of Delimiter?

• AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

lazyt said: Water cooling and custom kernels don't compare to having to add USB and power supplies plus adding extradrives to a system that was designed not to have them.

That's not what we did though. Mark's post was mostly bullshit and if you read my responses what we did was to solve the issues that Delimeter couldn't. We didn't have to add any power supplies. The servers are capable of holding the extra drives and the software modification we made was to slipstream the 10G Melanox drivers into the install images. Nothing major.

It was obvious from his posts that he had bought some of these and couldn't make them work and I wasn't about to tell him how we did it so I just bowed out of that thread.

• HadrielHadriel Member

@wwabbit said:
    Well, haters can rejoice! It looks like Delimiter have phased out the Dual E5420 and no longer offer that on their site. A month ago they were making offers to Dual E5420 customers to pay a one time fee of $250 to upgrade to Dual L5630s. Does this spell trouble for the future of Delimiter?

Doubtful.

• KrisKris Member

TDP is 40W on the L5630 and 80W on the E5420. 2x L5630 = 1E5420 power wise. Makes sense if they're dealing with the power they have in that location.

Also perfectly understandable if they're focusing on less 'hands on' LET and focusing on the company, development, and apparently 2 new locations in the works.

While even I got angry about the GhettoServer comment, it was more because servers are all I do. I have Optiplex 780's, HP USFF, Dell USFF, and all of the servers that WSI are likely using, benchmarked and refurbished them for my usage.

Even had plans to setup a Dacentec / Delimiter clone in NJ with the hardware on NOC-PS, good network, no support. After purchasing a ton of boxes, refurbishing them fully, and stress testing them, I'd put them up next to any 'enterprise' equipment, especially SM. I do remember a ton of kernel panics with SuperMicro equipment at one slap-dash VPS company I used to work at, that laughed at my DL160 X56** refurb experience versus their 'enterprise' equipment.

I don't remember having any kernel panics on my boxes after building around 20 of them at another company. In fact, a few hundred days uptime actually until XSAs. Meanwhile at the capacity they were loading these 'enterprise' boxes, I think they made it a week or three until IPMI and a hard reset was needed and kernel panics ensued.

Anyway, Delimiter is active from the email I got from the newsletter earlier this week. I think the always be on the offence angle is hopefully out the window. Maybe Mike has more autonomy when it comes to PR, and when not to stir the pot. Wise.

I can't complain, my server can still push bandwidth amounts constantly that beat most datacenters here. Hell, some carriers are just starting to get double digits speedtest wise after offering '1Gbps' how many years?

Did they get screwed by not having staff nearby (or enough) in Atlanta? Yes. Was it PR faux pas? Sure. Mark not being in threads spell any issues for them? No.

Thanked by 1wwabbit
  • david_Wdavid_W Member

Not sure if anyone still interested in Delimiter.

They have the classic E5420 deal back, but annual payment only.

https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/clearance-servers/?woo_source=mc&woo_medium=email&woo_campaign=flashsalesE5420

Some Dual E5420s back in stock.
    Hopefully you're having a great long weekend if you're in the US or UK. Just wanted to send out a quick email to let you know that we've got a few Dual E5420s available on annual billing in a new section of the site labeled Clearance Servers.

As you may or may not know, we stopped selling the BL260c blades about a month back. We've just released a few units that came back from upgrades and cancellations, there are a handful of each type remaining: Single 1TB HDD, Dual 500GB HDD and Single 120GB SSD.

Grab your Dual E5420 here

For those of you that are looking to upgrade, we've reopened our one-time upgrade as well so you can move from Dual X5150 or Dual E5420 to a Dual L5630 for a one-time fee. You can order the one-time upgrade here.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and be sure to have a drink or two for those of us stuck in the office :)

Cheers,

Michael Yurechko
    Sales Manager, Delimiter

Thanked by 2wwabbit jar
  • rdesrdes Member
    edited June 2016

Got today new offer from Delimiter

ObjSpace
    Cheaper and faster than all of its competitors. Use it for backup, data storage, image offload, dowload serving.
    1TB storage, 4TB/month data transfer
    $200/year (save $34)
    Order here: https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/objspace/
    Coupon: KG3IN7U6IJEZ1

Delimiter HA Cloud
    2 CPU / 4GB RAM / 250GB Storage
    $200/year (save $42)
    Order here: https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/cloud-resource-pool/
    Coupon: N5ZIY1FA3OR1QW

StorageVPS 2000
    NVMe accelerated ZFS Storage
    2TB Storage, 2GB RAM, 8TB/month data transfer
    $200/year (save $100)
    Order here: https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/storagevps/
    Coupon: KZTSQH9FB

Clearance Servers
    Dual E5420, 16GB, 1TB Disk $200/year
    Dual E5420, 16GB, 2x500GB Disk $200/year
    Dual E5420, 16GB, 120GB SSD $200/year

https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/clearance-servers/

Offers valid until Sunday 19th June 2016 or whilst stocks last which ever comes sooner.

Mail is not signed by mikeyur as it usually was. Is he still working there?

• dailydaily Member

rdes said: Clearance Servers Dual E5420, 16GB, 1TB Disk $200/year Dual E5420, 16GB, 2x500GB Disk $200/year Dual E5420, 16GB, 120GB SSD $200/year

Isn't this the same deal they had not long ago, except you got an upgrade to 24GB for annual payment?

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited June 2016

@rdes said:

Mail is not signed by mikeyur as it usually was. Is he still working there?

Is he this guy here https://twitter.com/yurechko/with_replies ?

Edit: yes he is found the answer in the twitter

• Hmm who's next? Are they going back to LET one day?

• So Mike still there or not?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@david_W said:
    Hmm who's next? Are they going back to LET one day?

Probably never. This is likely a good thing for LET and Delimiter.

@Junkless said:
    So Mike still there or not?

Yes, as mentioned two posts above yours.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • @Nekki said:

@david_W said:

@Junkless said:

Thanks, it wasn't clear to me, hence confirmed.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Junkless said:

@Nekki said:

@david_W said:

@Junkless said:

'Yes, he is' wasn't clear to you?

• NomadNomad Member

@Nekki, this service is made for you: FOAAS

Thanked by 2ATHK bersy
  • rdesrdes Member

@Nekki said:

It's pretty clear, but on the other side, what on this twitter account confirms that he's still on Delimiter? I see "SEO, Reputation Management, Local Search @verev" thing on his profile ;).

Thanked by 2Junkless MikePT
  • JunklessJunkless Member
    edited June 2016

@Nekki said:

@zafouhar said:

Is he this guy here https://twitter.com/yurechko/with_replies ?

Edit: yes he is found the answer in the twitter

Now can you see the confusion ?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@rdes said:

@Nekki said:

It's pretty clear, but on the other side, what on this twitter account confirms that he's still on Delimiter? I see "SEO, Reputation Management, Local Search @verev" thing on his profile ;).

How would I know, I don't care enough to actually look at any of the links.

• Anyone want to fill me in on the "butthurt"ness?

• @grimsdottir said:
    Anyone want to fill me in on the "butthurt"ness?

TL:DR Mark got banned on LET for posting private information, then Delimiter got butthurt and never posted again on LET. End of story :p