Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple requires apps to support IPv6-only networks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apple requires apps to support IPv6-only networks

elgselgs Member

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=05042016a

At WWDC 2015 we announced the transition to IPv6-only network services in iOS 9. Starting June 1, 2016 all apps submitted to the App Store must support IPv6-only networking. Most apps will not require any changes because IPv6 is already supported by NSURLSession and CFNetwork APIs.

If your app uses IPv4-specific APIs or hard-coded IP addresses, you will need to make some changes. Learn how to ensure compatibility by reading Supporting IPv6 DNS64/NAT64 Networks and watch Your App and Next Generation Networks.

Comments

• elgselgs Member
    # ping6 google.com
    PING google.com(bud02s21-in-x0e.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from bud02s21-in-x0e.1e100.net: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=24.0 ms
    64 bytes from bud02s21-in-x0e.1e100.net: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=28.5 ms
    64 bytes from bud02s21-in-x0e.1e100.net: icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=26.4 ms
    ^C
    --- google.com ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 24.041/26.323/28.515/1.827 ms
    # ping6 www.apple.com
    PING www.apple.com(2a02:26f0:dc:184::1aca) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 2a02:26f0:dc:184::1aca: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=16.9 ms
    64 bytes from 2a02:26f0:dc:184::1aca: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=16.8 ms
    64 bytes from 2a02:26f0:dc:184::1aca: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=10.9 ms
    ^C64 bytes from 2a02:26f0:dc:184::1aca: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=17.2 ms

--- www.apple.com ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 10.966/15.494/17.285/2.623 ms
    # ping6 github.com
    unknown host
    # ping6 www.github.com
    unknown host

Shame on Github.

Thanked by 2GCat lifehome
  • tommytommy Member

another ipv6 lover :P

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • namhuynamhuy Member
    edited May 2016

its good to see we are moving slowly to ipv6. last week i worked at a store that uses at&t u-verse business. the service & modem supports ipv6 natively.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • tommytommy Member

In our dream ipv6 will coming as soon as possible

• I've said it before (maybe not here): there are a few companies that could make the floor drop out of the IPv4 market, and Apple is one of them. A few more steps like these and Apple may even give their /8 back. My IPv4 dead pool bet is for 2020.

Thanked by 3elgs GCat Ole_Juul
  • lazytlazyt Member

Since I have yet to see ipv6 enabled any where in this area I would say longer then that.

• FuslFusl Member

impossiblystupid said: I've said it before (maybe not here): there are a few companies that could make the floor drop out of the IPv4 market, and Apple is one of them. A few more steps like these and Apple may even give their /8 back. My IPv4 dead pool bet is for 2020.

Apple will not return their /8 or any non-legacy space they have, why would you give back ~16mil+ USD you never need to justify and not pay a single cent for?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

impossiblystupid said: My IPv4 dead pool bet is for 2020.

Hahahaha, no way.

• @Fusl said:
    Apple will not return their /8 or any non-legacy space they have, why would you give back ~16mil+ USD you never need to justify and not pay a single cent for?

They might have other reasons, but pure economics alone would do it. A gain of $16M represents very little to Apple, but the ability to quickly reduce that same asset to $0 value for ~250 other holders is a very powerful position to be in.

IPv4 will die. Maybe sooner, maybe later. It doesn't benefit Apple at all if they hold on to their /8 until that $0 mark is achieved. They'd get a lot more PR benefit if they get ahead of the curve and started giving away some of those addresses while people still want it. Apple has a long history of doing similar things.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@impossiblystupid said:
    IPv4 will die. Maybe sooner, maybe later. It doesn't benefit Apple at all if they hold on to their /8 until that $0 mark is achieved. They'd get a lot more PR benefit if they get ahead of the curve and started giving away some of those addresses while people still want it. Apple has a long history of doing similar things.

Wow, this is so wrong. Apple is definitely not getting rid of any portion of their IP space.

Thanked by 2rm_ Pwner
  • FuslFusl Member

impossiblystupid said: IPv4 will die. Maybe sooner, maybe later. It doesn't benefit Apple at all if they hold on to their /8 until that $0 mark is achieved. They'd get a lot more PR benefit if they get ahead of the curve and started giving away some of those addresses while people still want it. Apple has a long history of doing similar things.

You know one of the middle east telcos or a venture funded carrier will just buy the /8 at face value or? This will change zero.

Thanked by 1lazyt
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

elgs said: At WWDC 2015 we announced the transition to IPv6-only network services in iOS 9. Starting June 1, 2016 all apps submitted to the App Store must support IPv6-only networking. Most apps will not require any changes because IPv6 is already supported by NSURLSession and CFNetwork APIs.

Fuck off, Apple.

This is like their "no more 32-bit apps" nonsense.

Thanked by 2netomx GCat
  • @Nyr said:
    Apple is definitely not getting rid of any portion of their IP space.

But what if they did?

The Grinder

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

raindog308 said: This is like their "no more 32-bit apps" nonsense.

What exactly is the problem with that?

Thanked by 2rm_ GCat
  • God damn ICANN (or ARIN?) They gave too many /8s out to companies because they never thought about IPv4 exhaustion.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

XIAOSpider97 said: God damn ICANN (or ARIN?) They gave too many /8s out to companies because they never thought about IPv4 exhaustion.

iana

Thanked by 1GCat
    Thanked by 1GCat
  • I think the main issue of IP6 is that most local ISPs still don't support it. When I take a look in our area, in Asia, you find only a few ISPs that offer IP6. Without a broad availability of the base, it will never be a success soon.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • @Safehousecloud said:
    I think the main issue of IP6 is that most local ISPs still don't support it. When I take a look in our area, in Asia, you find only a few ISPs that offer IP6. Without a broad availability of the base, it will never be a success soon.

It's a chicken-and-egg problem. It's been this way for far, far too long. It's going to continue to be a glacial transition unless someone forces the issue. This announcement by Apple might be another hint that they want to be the ones to do it. The longer ISPs ignore the writing on the wall, the more they're going to have to scramble when it's a done deal.

• Really? Isn't that kinda like everyone who was whining about having to do Y2K fixes because they couldn't be bothered to use more than 2 digits to represent a date? I expect the 32-bit people to be moaning about date issues again in 2038, too. Don't blame Apple because they're trying to drag some technology luddites into the 21st Century.

Thanked by 2rm_ GCat
  • @impossiblystupid said:
    It's a chicken-and-egg problem. It's been this way for far, far too long. It's going to continue to be a glacial transition unless someone forces the issue. This announcement by Apple might be another hint that they want to be the ones to do it. The longer ISPs ignore the writing on the wall, the more they're going to have to scramble when it's a done deal.

Yes, you are right. Maybe they need some force to get it done. I hope it will not end in a big nightmare ... And they had enough time to get the homework done.

impossiblystupid said: Really? Isn't that kinda like everyone who was whining about having to do Y2K fixes because they couldn't be bothered to use more than 2 digits to represent a date? I expect the 32-bit people to be moaning about date issues again in 2038, too. Don't blame Apple because they're trying to drag some technology luddites into the 21st Century.

The flaw in your argument is that 32-bit code works just fine - there's absolutely no technical reason to force people to use 64-bit. Y2K, etc. were quite different - things would break.

Apple's entire identity is forcing their ideas onto customers. A lot of the time, maybe even most of the time they're good ideas but not always. Unfortunately with Apple, there's never a choice.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2016

If LET gets IPv6, I'll buy pop-tarts for everyone!***

***I can close the contest at any time at my discretion. One per LETer :)

• rds100rds100 Member

@raindog308 32bit code uses less memory and less storage for the code, so you don't need more memory to run your apps and don't need to buy the newest and greatest iPhone with more memory and more storage. I can see how this could be a problem for Apple.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@doghouch said:

I'm in.

Thanked by 2doghouch GCat
  • @doghouch said:

I'm in too. Strawberry poptarts?

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • impossiblystupid said: My IPv4 dead pool bet is for 2020.

Even if IPv6 is alive everywhere, IPv4 will not die, at least for another 10 years. That's my guess.

• @eLohkCalb said:

Even if IPv6 is alive everywhere, IPv4 will not die, at least for another 10 years. That's my guess.

You're completely wrong. IPv4 IPv6 will deadpool in 10 years.

• @doghouch said:

@eLohkCalb said:

You're completely wrong. IPv4 IPv6 will deadpool in 10 years.

+1. I'm gonna assume that those large corporations are gonna be forced to give up their large (and mostly unused) allocations, sooner or later. IPv4 is gonna stay for sure, until there's enough IPv6 adoption (still far).