Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2GB Dedicated RAM / 4GB Burst in Buffalo NY or Kansas City MO $7/mo - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2GB Dedicated RAM / 4GB Burst in Buffalo NY or Kansas City MO $7/mo

13»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Like I said, malicious intent is best followed through by watching someone drown, not by warning them first :)

• Well realistically it does not look like he was going to make a big commercial venture out of this.. I think he's just trying to find a few folks to help offset the cost of his dedi.. seems like a good plan to me! let someone else pay for your RTO..

• @24khost said: If your offering 4gb vps's they should be able to be used fully.

That's where I stopped reading. This is the essence of overselling-- if everyone who's paid for the hardware all wanted to use it at once, they couldn't.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Working on getting the drive looked into. Apparently it may be a defective drive causing the issues.

Also looking into SSDs for this box. So we shall see.

Once fixed will let everyone know.

• @agoldenberg said: Working on getting the drive looked into. Apparently it may be a defective drive causing the issues.

Also looking into SSDs for this box. So we shall see.

Once fixed will let everyone know.

If you're looking to change disks. It may be wise to go for a four disk raid 10 array. You can still stick with software RAID if you wish.

So after looking into the drives here's what I get on my 128mb VPS on my services:

root@demo:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/2gb.dat bs=8k count=256k conv=fdatasync
    262144+0 records in
    262144+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 16.9409 s, 127 MB/s
    root@demo:~#

and here is the result from my 4GB VPS from ShoveHost

root@dev:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/2gb.dat bs=8k count=256k conv=fdatasync
    262144+0 records in
    262144+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 42.9933 s, 49.9 MB/s
    root@dev:~#

It looks like the IO on my server is OK and according to my DC, the drive is performing as it should.

• Hey,

Can you run this and post the results?

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@CVPS_Luc

[root@sub ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.39925 seconds, 128 MB/s
    [root@sub ~]# 

• CVPS_LucCVPS_Luc Member
    edited February 2013

Yeah that looks good to me the speed. But my opinion is that it is not reliable on raid1 to have clients on it. Just default a empty node with raid10 would be at about 200-300 MB/s and under load it would be at about 110-150 ish. At the same time my recommendations is before of most clients wants to use high ram packages for MC or game server hosting but 70% of the time its MC server hosting, this is why most providers don't allow MC servers or any game servers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

One minecraft player uses a flight command and another clients website starts loading slowly. That's the reality we all fight to prevent. First thing you learn providing VPS is that the disk plays a bigger role in performance than you ever fully appreciated before.

• @agoldenberg said: Everyone has been refunded. Enjoy the vps for the month and after that ill stick o shared hosting until I learn more.

end ornot?

No I'm going to keep it going. Even if it doesn't make money, screw it. I want people to be happy with their VMs

• @agoldenberg said: No I'm going to keep it going. Even if it doesn't make money

I think that's what you should have done from the start, you should have offered a free Beta program for a couple of months just to get a few feedback..

I have plenty of these 2/4GB VPSes left :) Any takers? I just installed another drive for storage and can provide something custom if you want to give me specs and what you'd like to pay for those specs. (Within reason)

edited February 2013

Not sure if anyone else would show you this on their boxes but here: