Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2GB Dedicated RAM / 4GB Burst in Buffalo NY or Kansas City MO $7/mo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2GB Dedicated RAM / 4GB Burst in Buffalo NY or Kansas City MO $7/mo

Comments

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@CVPS_Kevin I will allow it for the time being until it hinders other users. If it becomes a hinderance, the customer will have 2 choices.

A refund and look for a new provider, or keep their VPS and take down Minecraft. To me I think that's fair.

@jarland I am really only looking to make my money back on this box. The next one I will have different offers. This is simply a good way to get Lease to own hardware for essentially nothing aside from risking paying for the box out of pocket.

@fliphost Added 64-bit CentOS 6 template. Enjoy :)

• @Agoldenberg if something isn't worth it financially to continue to be doing you are going to quickly find that the support burden is going to cause you to very quickly lose interest in this.

@RyanD I have a rather successful development and hosting company. Think of this business as both a hobby and a way to give back to this community.

• RAID 1 512 GB SSDs?

@naten34 nope 1TB SATA3 Drives

• @agoldenberg and I have a very successful hosting/management/colocation business. I can't think of a "business" that is setup to lose money from the get go as a business. I'd refer that to that as a non-profit charity.

• root@zort:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 6144 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   6 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 12.6MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 12.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 8.41MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 2.67MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 798KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 6.15MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.83MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.72MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 8.86MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 12.7MB/s
    I/O speed :  126 MB/s

root@zort:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k oflag=dsync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 626.971 s, 1.7 MB/s

root@zort:~# ioping -c 10 /
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=1 time=48.2 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=2 time=8.1 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=3 time=29.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=4 time=7.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=5 time=24.3 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=6 time=12.5 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=7 time=5.0 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=8 time=49.7 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=9 time=10.1 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/102): request=10 time=5.7 ms

--- / (simfs /vz/private/102) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9201.9 ms, 50 iops, 0.2 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 5.0/20.1/49.7/16.3 ms

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited February 2013

@atho said: root@zort:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k oflag=dsync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out

Ouch! Perhaps this is related to what I mentioned earlier about software RAID arrays performing resyncs every Sunday midnight, and you'll notice degraded performance for a while around this time every week while the array finishes the resync. Maybe Andrew can confirm whether this is the case or not.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 626.971 s, 1.7 MB/

Woah...

• CVPS_LucCVPS_Luc Member
    edited February 2013

I don't want to make anyone look bad here but 10 x 7 = $70/month.

The hardware you stated with the price would be well over $100/month with any provider. 2nd it wouldn't pay the network usage/IP's or power usage of the box and pay for the hardware? Maybe I am missing something here but I think there is something wrong with the picture here.
    Also if you only want to host what the box can handle I would suggest to go XEN where resources are 100% dedicated.

Once again I am not trying to make anyone look bad here to cause trouble.

Thanks,

edited February 2013

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out

Also I would highly recommend to make it raid10. With a normal raid10 for only 10 clients you will have about 200MB/s or if you want to get it higher its not that much more money.

Thanks,

Ouch! Definitely going to have to do something about that in the morning! That's embarrassing!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Zen I figured he was getting the machine for $60/m. Gotta be a reason people keep flocking to Buffalo.

edited February 2013

@jarland said: I figured he was getting the machine for $60/m. Gotta be a reason people keep flocking to Buffalo.

Here is the thing with that... how can you lease to own at $60/m that is only $720 per year and a server with those specs is about 1.8k if you have a good connection. So 3 year contract because you always pay more then the price of the node because they want to make money also. Even then not enough profit for that.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Interesting to see that two cvps workers join in with alot of questions on a offer that has higher specs then their own offers at the same price and epecially when its in 'their' location.

Has this been done with any other provider in any other location?

edited February 2013

Interesting to see that two cvps workers join in with alot of questions on a offer that has higher specs then their own offers at the same price and epecially when its in 'their' location.

Has this been done with any other provider in any other location?

I am not trying to take business away or anything. I am just trying to help him, to make it better for himself and he can make profit and not lose money.

edited February 2013

Honestly if one had malicious intent toward the poster of this offer, the best way to carry it out would be through silence. Speaking out can be taken as genuine concern.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited February 2013

@MikHo said: Interesting to see that two cvps workers join in with alot of questions on a offer that has higher specs then their own offers at the same price and epecially when its in 'their' location.

MikHo,

Sorry if providing kind advise is a crime? Andrew mentioned he was new to the VPS business. ChicagoVPS is one of the largest LEB providers on here and we host over 150 physical servers on our network. Prior my employment with CVPS, I have worked with another LEB provider and built it from the ground up from nothing into a leading LEB provider. I have plenty of experience in this field and I was only trying to offer some advise so he doesn't have to play trial and error. Luc was only trying to do the same, nothing wrong with that.

• @atho said: root@zort:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k oflag=dsync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out

Using oflag=dsync on an OpenVZ node is wrong, because it writes all cached data on the HOST node back to the disk. This usually gives a very slow dd result.
    You should use conv=fdatasync instead.

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

edited February 2013

@VictorZhang Though true that fdatasync performs faster, that is still a very poor result. What is more telling is the ioping. If he polices the node properly it may be acceptable, but there's not going to be any minecraft on those drives unless he wants trouble.

Well thanks for all the info. Looks like I should have done a lot more research before jumping in head first. Everyone has been refunded. Enjoy the vps for the month and after that ill stick o shared hosting until I learn more.

Key is just not ruining your reputation in the learning process. You'll do alright with a little more planning.

edited February 2013

Hey,

What jarland said is the way to go on it and the only major advice I can say is raid10. If your gonna run it like that, why not get 64GB servers or even 128GB, but if the contract is already made then I am sure you can figure it out and make some profit soon. I hope the best luck for you and I am sure in the future you will be ready.

Thanks,

• @CVPS_Kevin said: You're going to run into nightmares with that disk I/O, not to mention its software RAID hence slow resyncs which result to degraded performance to your clients every week (every Sunday midnight CentOS runs resyncs on SW raid arrays to check on its health).

The resync should throttle itself if there is any user disk IO. It should not affect performance considerably.

• Oh hey, people are yelling at people because they oversell. This has totally never happened before.

• Lol. CVPS are a little butt hurt about been under cut for a change. And they even have the cheek to comment on overselling. Priceless.

• Actually, to tell the truth I think CVPS did nothing but point a person in the right direction. @CVPS_Chris has said they have made 2gb vps profitable. So if they say that this is not possible, than you better believe it is not possible. @CVPS_Kevin was only trying to offer advise. If your offering 4gb vps's they should be able to be used fully. if someone wants to run a minecraft server then they should be able to. it is up to you to manage the box.

@CVPS_Chris @CVPS_Luc @Jarland all have experience in this field. I would take thier advice and run with it.

Best advise I can give you is hardware raid 10 with minimum 4 disk array, but would recommend 6, if your going to sell that node like that. People who order 4gb vps are normally looking to use that 4gb, which means your disk's are going to get hammered.