Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop Colo/Dedicated Servers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Laptop Colo/Dedicated Servers

13»

Comments

• Hair pie?

• @jarland said: iPod touch colo. Better than half these laptops anyway...

TBH, sounds like an interesting idea... lol

• @24khost said: Hair pie?

If you can afford to Colo that then you are in the wrong business my friend :)
    Besides not sure what I would do with it anymore. :(

Ok ok two words then Rasferry PI

• it actually remind me the classic mini itx cluster project http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/cluster/ and https://oxynux.org/wiki/projects/cluster/start

and the raspi cluster http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/features/raspberry_pi_supercomputer.shtml

not sure raspi io is fast enough for lowend vps need.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I hope that people didn't think I was going to do this in any time in the near future...

• @shovenose said: I hope that people didn't think I was going to do this in any time in the near future...

Well you could start a combo business, laptop-pi for laptop and raspberry pi hosting, see which one makes you those most money you know. Oh and yah I thought you were super serial!

• If you want... our Atoms (and all atoms all others offer, with the exception of Supermicro users) are basically netbooks without display...

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited February 2013

@AuroraZ Not sure what to make of this so many ways to go with that. I am guessing your married.

@AuroraZ said: Besides not sure what I would do with it anymore. :(

• @24khost said: @AuroraZ Not sure what to make of this so many ways to go with that. I am guessing your married.

@AuroraZ said: Besides not sure what I would do with it anymore. :(

Sad to say not anymore man. It is the other reason. Had an accident about 10 years ago and things don't work right anymore. Don't waste pity or sadness on me though I am not and don't have time for it. Life is what you make of it and you move on. :)

• I'm not sure heat would be a primary reason why laptop hosting is a terrible idea. Every datacenter I've visited have been between needing a coat to about 70F. You could probably shove 4-6 laptops into a empty 1U chassis with 8+8 fans passing cold air through like a wind tunnel.

Also, a Raspberry Pi is slower than the worst VPS you've ever had.

• My little Asus Netbook is left on 24/7, however, I removed the battery so it doesn't die.. xD

• SPSP Member

I remember seeing a documentary on Google that showed what their servers (at the time) looked like; a piece of plywood(?) with a motherboard and battery attached to it. They would slide it in to place and plug in the network and power cables and were off and running. Might be able to do something like that with Atom boards that are using DC already; could use desktop UPS batteries or something. Just a thought.

• Don't waste space with laptop - Android WebServer is better !!!

• I have laptop that i was thinking about that in past :P

Laptop configuration:
    Toshiba 18.4" -> Need 19" 1U
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor (1.73 GHz (2.93 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB Cache
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (4096MBx2)
    Hard Disk Drive
    640GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
    Graphics Controller
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M with 1GB GDDR3 discrete graphics

• @AuroraZ said: PI
    @graca said: pi
    @24khost said: pie?
    @HalfEatenPie: I'm here!

somehow, I always feel relieve, after .. pi

• @DomainBop said: Here's my $4 dedicated server offer:

IBM Personal Computer 365 (Metal Case!)
    Pentium Pro 200 Processor
    Red Hat Linux 6
    128MB memory
    2GB IDE Hard Drive
    9GB Seagate Barracuda SCSI drive (the SCSI drive stopped working after a pipe burst in the ceiling but it is still in the case)
    Secure NYC midtown location (our office storage closet...umm I mean datacenter... has a lock on the door and a few strategically placed mouse traps to protect the PC...umm dedicated server... from gnawed cables)
    Shared IP address
    up to 15mbs downloads/2 mbs uploads shared connection
    single homed to TW cable.

Is that "VPS" $4/month or $4/year? :P I would totally bite for $4/year even if just to add to my collection as a LEB ;). No joke. PM me if you're interested.