Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop Colo/Dedicated Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Laptop Colo/Dedicated Servers

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in General

I feel like this would be a good idea, because it would save on power costs, you could achieve higher density, and has built in UPS :) Like single laptop colocation, with 1TB bandwidth, for $20?

Comments

• flyfly Member
    edited February 2013

nt getting efficient cooling or performance

laptop ups != standard ups

power to power ratio probably is terrid

• But laptops are not designed to run 24/7?

• Unfortunately due to it's odd form factor that is going to be difficult for anything but the smallest hosts willing to accommodate so ymmv on the quality you find. Also, they aren't well suited for stacking and heat management as they all have a different air-flow pattern.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Pentium III dedicated laptop with 256MB-512MB RAM and 10-30GB disk: $10/month.
    Pentium M dedicated laptop with 512MB-1GB RAM and 40GB-120GB disk: $18/month.
    Atom dedicated netbook with 2GB RAM and 160GB disk: $25/month
    Core i5 laptop with 4GB RAM and 500GB disk: $35/mo
    Core i7 laptop with 8GB RAM and 640-1TB of disk: $50/mo

• Also, I should note you'll find you have pretty quick battery failure when it's kept in a 24/7 environment with sub-optimal heat dissipation.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Wasted space. An efficient datacenter wants to make the most of its space. Oddly shaped devices are pretty much out unless you want to rent a rack and do your own thing. A rack full of cheap laptops sounds like a fire hazard to me.

• @shovenose said: Pentium III dedicated laptop with 256MB-512MB RAM and 10-30GB disk: $10/month.

Where do I sign up?

• RyanDRyanD Member
    edited February 2013

@Damian we still have one pIII dedicated server in our racks that I think a client just cancelled... LOL I think we could make a "LEB" special :)

edit Yup, got a P3-166Mhz w/MMX, 256 ram, 1 x 80GB IDE LOL

@RyanD Plug in that 486 and a KVM and ill take it!

• @Jarland, I do have a compaq luggable that would take up, maybe 10U of space. Care to make an offer? I'll even throw in an extra 5 1/4 floppy.

Commander keen hosting...go!

• I don't think a KVM will work on the Luggable but I can setup one of our datacenter security cams to look at it and we can put a spider kvm on the AT keyboard port with an AT->ps/2 adaptor. #worstdedicatedever

Sounds like the coolest product I've ever heard of. $1500/m? Write it up!

• registers worstdedicated.com

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

@RyanD said: Yup, got a P3-166Mhz w/MMX, 256 ram, 1 x 80GB IDE LOL

Price? :X

@RyanD said: @Jarland, I do have a compaq luggable that would take up, maybe 10U of space.

Proliant 8000 ftw.

(edit) oh man, there's one for sale on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proliant-8000-Dual-Xeon-P3-700MHz-1GB-RAM-158976-001-/150994921681?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item2327ffa8d1 I think maybe they pressed 0 too many times

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

@Shovenose "Pentium III dedicated laptop with 256MB-512MB RAM and 10-30GB disk: $10/month.

@Damian said Where do I sign up?

Do you really want to pay $10 monthly for laptop grade hardware encased in plastic out in the boondocks when for $4 monthly you could have desktop grade hardware in a sturdy metal case in NYC?

Here's my $4 dedicated server offer:
    IBM Personal Computer 365 (Metal Case!)
    Pentium Pro 200 Processor
    Red Hat Linux 6
    128MB memory
    2GB IDE Hard Drive
    9GB Seagate Barracuda SCSI drive (the SCSI drive stopped working after a pipe burst in the ceiling but it is still in the case)
    Secure NYC midtown location (our office storage closet...umm I mean datacenter... has a lock on the door and a few strategically placed mouse traps to protect the PC...umm dedicated server... from gnawed cables)
    Shared IP address
    up to 15mbs downloads/2 mbs uploads shared connection
    single homed to TW cable.

@Shovenose "I feel like this would be a good idea,"

Don't be offended, but I think it is one of the most asinine ideas I've ever heard from a host (although it probably would be a good way to roast marshmallows once the rack of laptops bursts into flames)

@DomainBop it's a good idea for non-critical things... dedicated is always nice over VPS because you can consistently use all the resources.

• @DomainBop said: Here's my $4 dedicated server offer:

Order link??

How would everybody feel about single-homed Comcast Business Class connection, 1 IP per laptop, with a 48-hour hardware replacement guarantee :)

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: dedicated is always nice over VPS because you can consistently use all the resources.

Until they melt

@shovenose said: How would everybody feel about single-homed Comcast Business Class connection, 1 IP per laptop, with a 48-hour hardware replacement guarantee :)

Is that in your home?

• @shovenose said: How would everybody feel about single-homed Comcast Business Class connection, 1 IP per laptop, with a 48-hour hardware replacement guarantee :)

You should stop before you give someone a heart attack.

edited February 2013

How would everyone feel about a shared 16mbit connection and dedicated IP available via GRE tunnel? Vps would be BSD jail on Darwin on OSX. Price is $100/m.

My iMac needs more to do.

• I tend to buy things I have no use for, I would actually rent something like an old laptop just to say I had it if the price was right. I paid 30.00 a month to iWeb for years for a P4 2.4ghz box from a contest. I only stopped it because it was way to much for that old of a system.

• @RyanD said: Yup, got a P3-166Mhz w/MMX, 256 ram, 1 x 80GB IDE LOL

I'll take it.

edited February 2013
  • What if parts of laptop got broke. E.g. Battery. Can it be arranged for you to replace?

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Laptop colo, now that's one I haven't heard before.

@jcaleb on colo or on dedicated?