Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop Colo/Dedicated Servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Laptop Colo/Dedicated Servers

Comments

• colo

• I'll host your guy's laptops for $10/Month on my dedicated 100Mbps line, that's only being used by 1 idle server. :)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb sure, remote hands is $5 per incident if you ship us a part we'll have it installed within two business days.

• time to take out my good ol Dell Latitude C60 from closet and purchase a battery for it :)

• edited February 2013

EDIT: I didn't read the full thread =P

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Haha. Not accepting any laptops for colo or dedicated renting right now and don't plan to until we have a datacenter to ourself.

• @shovehost you remind me of that mtwiscool guy.

• not sure what's the point of this topic. cesspit?

• Dumbest idea I've ever seen...
    Like, really. You know those laptops will just die. Then you'll have pissed off customers, its very hard to keep a laptop on 24/7 doing processes and keeping it cool, you'd have to have fans cooling them down .

• @shovenose said: until we have a datacenter to ourself.

Getting a bit crazy now are we? I'll have to agree with @Jacob you're reminding me of mtwiscool guy.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Fans to cool them down? He'll need AC's, lots of AC's. My i5 laptop gets so hot on 100% load, that I can fry eggs on the chasis. :)

• Not cost efficient, why pay for the built in screen when you don't need it for a server.

• Mine gets warmer when using only about 1/4 of the CPU, there'd be some issues with using 4/4 of it 24/7 as a server

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited February 2013

I can see it next... "After laptophosting failed, we made colodog, where you don't colocate servers... You colo your pets. They'll be fed 24/7 with premium 100Mbit/s to keep them healthy, they will be able to roam around plus they'll get a free harddrive and ram upgrade!"

• Seriously, what would be a benefit from a kimsufi?

• disassemble laptop, remove un-needed part, create super lowend computing from 10-20 boards, you can also replace laptop battery with bigger amp battery, do what ever you want and then throw it to the garbage.

• And laptops with broken screens are plentiful.

• hey why not just get some origional xbox's can pick them up cheap now and they stack pretty nicley. Heck can probably run game servers off them due to the built in graphics card!

• @24khost said: Heck can probably run game servers off them due to the built in graphics card!

Game servers don't need graphics cards.....

• @Damian said: Game servers don't need graphics cards.....

lol

• @24khost said: And laptops with broken screens are plentiful.

That's my testing machine at home, infact it currently also has XBMC installed on it so I can control movie playback over the wifi with android phones.

• @krs360 said: also has XBMC installed on it so I can control movie playback over the wifi with android phones.

There's an app for that? Tell me please :)

• It's part of XBMC buddy.

Look on android for XBMC remote

@MiguelQ

Any issues, let me know..

• @krs360 said: It's part of XBMC buddy.

I never cared to search for one since the mce remote works fine, still it might come handy some day. Thanks!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

iPod touch colo. Better than half these laptops anyway...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2013

That is all.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited February 2013

@Damian I know but might get better performance :P

Well I don't know, I have never been a game server guy.

• One word ....... PI

• ya I like .... pi