Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean introduces block storage - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean introduces block storage

Comments

• @Bochi said:

@raptorpeanutbuttr said:
    anyone know the pricing for the added storage?

They don't charge anything while in Beta and after that I would say a rough estimation could be made looking up the prices of competitors (eg. Vultr, ...).

ya, I saw the beta pricing is free. Time to go add 4tb of tinfoil hat pics to that droplet

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: I secretly own the world.

If you did, you wouldn't be hosting motherfuckingwebsite.com on BlueHost.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

raindog308 said: If you did, you wouldn't be hosting motherfuckingwebsite.com on BlueHost.

I wish that was mine. To be that kind of genius...

• Any idea how long this beta will go on for still? I'd hate to actually set something up with it now and have it go out of beta in a few weeks with a pricing that is likely going to be unappealing to me personally.

@Chronic said:
    Any idea how long this beta will go on for still? I'd hate to actually set something up with it now and have it go out of beta in a few weeks with a pricing that is likely going to be unappealing to me personally.

Summer is the goal. So I'd say by late September is a reasonable assumption. Keep in mind I'm speaking from publicly available information only to make that estimate.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • jufjuf Member

How long does it take to receive "Early Access" after you submit your address for it? I submitted my address a few weeks ago, and have not yet received anything back from it.

@juf said:
    How long does it take to receive "Early Access" after you submit your address for it? I submitted my address a few weeks ago, and have not yet received anything back from it.

No clearly defined schedule for it. As more testers are desired they might send out a batch.

• 127001127001 Member

It'll be useless. Wait to see the AUP.

• jufjuf Member
    edited June 2016

@127001 said:
    It'll be useless. Wait to see the AUP.

Why? What unreasonable limitations are you thinking there will be? They currently make the default size 4TB. Why would they sell you up to that much space and not let you use it?

127001 said: It'll be useless. Wait to see the AUP.

Care to expand on that?

127001 said: It'll be useless. Wait to see the AUP.

This ain't shared web hosting. You get a raw device and can make whatever filesystems you want on it. If you want a bajillion inodes, you can. At least, assuming it works similarly to Vultr's, etc. Now you may run out of IOPS, but's different. Some big providers (EC2, Azuire) will sell you different tiers of storage with guaranteed IOPS - I don't think the midmarkets do.

How many separate disks can I mount on one VM? The reason I ask is that I'm putting together some in-house training on a vendor volume manager/filesystem at work. Rather than go through internal semantics of requesting VMs, etc. I was thinking of creating a lab at some place like DO, EC2, etc. But I'd want a dozen or so separate disks (to simulate RAID levels) not one big one.

• jufjuf Member
    edited June 2016

@raindog308 said:
    How many separate disks can I mount on one VM? The reason I ask is that I'm putting together some in-house training on a vendor volume manager/filesystem at work. Rather than go through internal semantics of requesting VMs, etc. I was thinking of creating a lab at some place like DO, EC2, etc. But I'd want a dozen or so separate disks (to simulate RAID levels) not one big one.

According to the documentation on the Digital Ocean website: "Each drive may only be attached to a single Droplet. However, up to 7 drives may be attached to a Droplet at a time."

So, it looks like you can have 7 drives (per droplet).

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Chronic said:
    Any idea how long this beta will go on for still? I'd hate to actually set something up with it now and have it go out of beta in a few weeks with a pricing that is likely going to be unappealing to me personally.

Is there any rumors on pricing? Or are they going to get up hooked and then brandish a fat price tag on these?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Ive applied. The usefulness of this will largely depend on price, and the IOPS target.

Anyway well done DO for taking away Vultrs one currently interesting advantage.

• jufjuf Member

I read somewhere from DO, it might have been on their other forum, that the pricing is going to be "very competitive". So, based on that, it will likely be at or below the other major ssd vpn providers that already have block storage.

• @juf said:
    "very competitive"

I hope so, I would really love to implement this on my Droplet but it needs to stay within my (personal project) budget.

• jufjuf Member

Here it is, I just found the forum I was referring to, see below. They say "quite competitive", not "very competitive".

http://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/where-can-i-find-pricing-information-for-block-storage-drives

edited June 2016

@juf said:
    I read somewhere from DO, it might have been on their other forum, that the pricing is going to be "very competitive". So, based on that, it will likely be at or below the other major ssd vpn providers that already have block storage.

I'm expecting somewhere well under the big name clouds (Amazon, Google, Microsoft) but obviously no where near as cheap as the lowest around.

Context for this is that absolutely no one has even given me a hint as to what the pricing might be. Granted, I haven't asked anyone involved in the project either. I'll probably learn a week before you guys do ;)

• jufjuf Member
    edited June 2016

It looks like Amazon is 10 cents, Google is 17 cents, Vultr is 10 cents

(Per GB per Month)

My opinion, it's going to be 8-10 cents for DO.

Of course, that means everyone who is using the beta and creating 4TB drives (4TB by default) are going to be in for a significant bill when it starts getting billed.

• rogerdpackrogerdpack Member
    edited June 2016

My question is, of course, so...will you do the whole grandfather thing again and everybody who gets it free in beta gets it free forever? (OK leaving now...) :)

Also as a note, might be nice to at least explain what block storage is, on the request access page, it's pretty sparse now
    https://www.digitalocean.com/features/storage/
    Cheers!

• jufjuf Member
    edited July 2016

It looks like the Block Storage "coming soon / sign up for early access" advertisement has been removed from their home page today.

Previously, it was on the home page (before you login) with a blue banner across the top of the page.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

@juf probably too many people applying for early access. I guess they dont want any more beta testers.

I applied on the first day, still havent got an invite :(

• rds100rds100 Member

SplitIce said: I applied on the first day, still havent got an invite :(

Send a pack of redbulls to @jarland, maybe he can help you :)

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

At DigitalOcean, our vision has always been to build a platform that allows developers to run their infrastructure at scale without getting in their way. To date, the top feature request from our community has been to have the ability to add additional disk space to their Droplets. Today, we are excited to introduce Block Storage to make that possible.

Over the past few months, our product and engineering teams have been working to deliver a storage service that is as simple and intuitive as our compute, the Droplet. With the help of more than 15,000 beta users, we have designed an experience that is focused on reducing friction and allowing you to scale with ease.

With Block Storage, you can now scale your storage independently of your compute and have more control over how you grow your infrastructure, enabling you to build and scale larger applications more easily. Like the Droplet, Block Storage is SSD-based and has an easy-to-use API. Our pricing model is straightforward, based only on capacity: $0.10/GB per month. There are no complicated formulas necessary to determine your overall cost.

More here: https://www.digitalocean.com/company/blog/block-storage-more-space-to-scale/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Still more expensive than Hubic.

Thanked by 1GCat

@rm_ said:
    Still more expensive than Hubic.

You can't really mount a hubic drive tho (at least not easily) also this is SSD based so should be fast enough for databases as well.

3x the price of Amazon S3. I realize it's not apples-to-apples but still...

For the record, Vultr is the same price and I think they're overpriced, too.

That said, taking a 512 and adding a couple bucks for more storage is nice and I'll probably use it LOL

Thanked by 1rm_
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

vfuse said: You can't really mount a hubic drive tho (at least not easily)

Yes you can and pretty easily.

Thanked by 1asf

@raindog308 said:

3x the price of Amazon S3. I realize it's not apples-to-apples but still...

For the record, Vultr is the same price and I think they're overpriced, too.

That said, taking a 512 and adding a couple bucks for more storage is nice and I'll probably use it LOL

Amazon EBS ssd is about the same price $0.1 per gb/month but pay for IO operations as well.

• tommytommy Member

overpriced