Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean introduces block storage - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean introduces block storage

Comments

• deadbeef said: How does this work on a high-level view? The machine boots with its preset kernel, and an init script uses kexec to "replace" the running kernel (in a "update-without-reboot" meaning)? So, it's just a matter of compiling your custom kernel with the required modules for the target platform?

Yes, the machine boots. The init scripts are sarted. You edit the init script and add a check inside - is it DO's kernel? If yes - kexec to the kernel you want and it will reboot with the new kernel. The init scripts will run again, it will see that this is not DO's kernel and will boot as normal. Some quick googling will find posts of people who have already done this - here is the first post i found from google - http://0wned.it/2014/08/27/custom-kernel-on-a-digitalocean-droplet-the-right-way/

Thanked by 3deadbeef jar yomero
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Vulgar studies DO obsessively.

DO hasn't noticed Vultr exists yet.

• dailydaily Member

I've always stayed away from Vultr because I'm not fond of Gameservers.

• AmitzAmitz Member

I've always stayed away from Vultr because I'm not fond of Gameservers and their CEO.

Thanked by 2yomero Dylan

Amitz said: I've always stayed away from Vultr because I'm not fond of Gameservers and their CEO.

I've always stayed away from Vultr because I'm not fond of Gameservers and their CEO and I want something better than RAID-0 for storage.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    I've always stayed away from Vultr because I want something better than RAID-0 for storage.

PROOF?

@shovenose said:
    PROOF?

I guess the only way to prove that I've always stayed away from Vultr for those reasons would be a mix of (a) uploading my entire financial history since Vultr started operation, and (b) some kind of truth serum/lie detector protocol to prove that those were the reasons and not others.

Not sure I'm going to step up to that level of commitment, to be honest.

Thanked by 2yomero madtbh
  • AmitzAmitz Member

I've always stayed away from Vultr because I'm not fond of Gameservers and their CEO and I want something better than RAID-0 for storage and because their definition of "all locations multihomed" is debatable.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I've always stayed away from Vultr because DO gave me more free credits... Guess good things don't last forever. Now to mooch off Vultr instead :)

Thanked by 2yomero Maounique
  • yomeroyomero Member

Bumping this thread.

We just received mails confirming the beta participation for two different accounts. Apparently it should be enabled now.

Unfortunately I am still unable to try it because nothing has changed on the control panel, and the api calls aren't working yet.

• Wasn't able to mount my drive... :D

I will say that I've never really mounted a drive before. This is going to be a fun learning exp!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@grimsdottir said:
    Wasn't able to mount my drive... :D

I will say that I've never really mounted a drive before. This is going to be a fun learning exp!

Honestly, had been so long that I had to reference it too. This makes it simple: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-disk-format/

• The commands that DO provides cause my VPS to demand a "file system type" to be declared when I'm using the mount command.

How does one find the type of the block storage file system?

Error showing:

mount: you must specify the filesystem type

@grimsdottir said:
    The commands that DO provides cause my VPS to demand a "file system type" to be declared when I'm using the mount command.

How does one find the type of the block storage file system?

Error showing:

mount: you must specify the filesystem type

There is no type until you format it.

Thanked by 1vimalware

OMG you newbs :-)

Something like this:

1. dmesg to discover the device name. Let's say it's /dev/sdc

2. fdisk /dev/sdc and go through the prompts creating one Linux partition the full size of the disk. Refer to @jarland's link if necessary. Now you have /dev/sdc1

3. make a filesystem with something like mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc1

4. mount -t ext4 /dev/sdc1 /my_taylor_swift_pr0n_pile

Thanked by 2vimalware david_W
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    OMG you newbs :-)

Something like this:

1. dmesg to discover the device name. Let's say it's /dev/sdc

2. fdisk /dev/sdc and go through the prompts creating one Linux partition the full size of the disk. Refer to @jarland's link if necessary. Now you have /dev/sdc1

3. make a filesystem with something like mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc1

4. mount -t ext4 /dev/sdc1 /my_taylor_swift_pr0n_pile

Easier/cheaper to just ask for an NFS mount from @jarland.

Francisco

Francisco said: Easier/cheaper to just ask for an NFS mount from @jarland.

Reselling DigitalOcean, 50% less than listed prices. Order here:

http://motherfuckingwebsite.com

• @jarland Can't seem to find the order link or shopping cart?
    Also some responsive elements and javascript would probably help you sell your product better...

Thanked by 2jar yomero
  • yomeroyomero Member

bohdans said: responsive elements

It's responsive =P

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • seenuseenu Member

@jarland, you are speaking like you own DO or CEO/high position in DO.... are you?

@seenu said:
    @jarland, you are speaking like you own DO or CEO/high position in DO.... are you?

Currently platform support lead. Think of it as middle ground between support and support manager.

I wouldn't say there's much in the way of tiers of influence at DO. Support isn't just the front lines, support is often the voice for customers within the company.

• @seenu said:

If so, the block storage guide doesn't work --> https://i.imgur.com/eFGA6bY.png

grimsdottir said: If so, the block storage guide doesn't work --> https://i.imgur.com/eFGA6bY.png

What part are you having trouble with? That imgur link 404s for me.

• @seenu said:

Maybe he is? inb4 the conspiracy theories begin.

zafouhar said: Maybe he is? inb4 the conspiracy theories begin.

I secretly own the world.

No, but really... while I'm happy to do a job that is just about paying bills and clocking in/out every day, it isn't my preference. I prefer to work somewhere that I can be passionate about, somewhere I'm treated as an equal and given a voice. DO is that for me. I take great interest in everything we do and my personal pride is tied to the product and the satisfaction of our customers.

• seenuseenu Member

@jarland said:

zafouhar said: Maybe he is? inb4 the conspiracy theories begin.

I secretly own the world.

No, but really... while I'm happy to do a job that is just about paying bills and clocking in/out every day, it isn't my preference. I prefer to work somewhere that I can be passionate about, somewhere I'm treated as an equal and given a voice. DO is that for me. I take great interest in everything we do and my personal pride is tied to the product and the satisfaction of our customers.

Love those words... qualities of an entrepreneur

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland said:

grimsdottir said: If so, the block storage guide doesn't work --> https://i.imgur.com/eFGA6bY.png

What part are you having trouble with? That imgur link 404s for me.

Ignore me please... I did that thing where I post before I read. It's a chronic issue.

I'm up and running with the mounted drive.

Thanked by 1jar
  • anyone know the pricing for the added storage?

• BochiBochi Member

@raptorpeanutbuttr said:
    anyone know the pricing for the added storage?

They don't charge anything while in Beta and after that I would say a rough estimation could be made looking up the prices of competitors (eg. Vultr, ...).

Thanked by 1raptorpeanutbuttr
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

1 Red Bull per 50GB