Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean introduces block storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean introduces block storage

Digital Ocean introduces block storage. Link: https://www.digitalocean.com/features/storage/

Comments

• I feel deja vu.

Thanked by 3Mathias GCat elgs
  • grimsdottirgrimsdottir Member
    edited April 2016

Well that's pretty cool

• @chrisfe said:
    Digital Ocean introduces block storage. Link: https://www.digitalocean.com/features/storage/

"Request Early Access". Dick move DO.

• i've been beta testing it for the last couple weeks, got a 4tb disable sppun up and attached via the API

• Request Early Access?!? What is this nonsense! I agree with @telephone.

So, I'm guessing that the next service offered by DO will be "Dedicated Instances", followed by changing the logo to include an obese twitter-themed bird?

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • @telephone said:

Ya it really is.

• @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Request Early Access?!? What is this nonsense! I agree with telephone.

So, I'm guessing that the next service offered by DO will be "Dedicated Instances", followed by changing the logo to include an obese twitter-themed bird?

You mean obese-twitter themed shark. Lol

• @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Request Early Access?!? What is this nonsense! I agree with telephone.

Yet they haven't copied the one thing people really want and have been requesting for almost 4 years

Custom ISOs

Thanked by 1yomero
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited April 2016

@hostnoob said: (…) Custom ISOs

Add-on ip's wouldn't hurt, either ;)

• BochiBochi Member

@aglodek said:
    Add-on ip's wouldn't hurt, either ;)

Isn't that something that could be handled by using the "Floating IP" feature?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@telephone said:

Well it's API only right now and no GUI for managing it. It's not quite ready for everyone yet, but it's getting there!

Thanked by 2telephone deadbeef
  • jarland said: It's not quite ready for everyone yet

You can never please everyone, LET is not DO's market anyway, so no fear.

Thanked by 1jar

@miTgiB said:
    You can never please everyone,

Challenge accepted! :P

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2016

BeardyUnixGuy said: So, I'm guessing that the next service offered by DO will be "Dedicated Instances", followed by changing the logo to include an obese twitter-themed bird?

It is more difficult for them to create an infrastructure like online's scaleway, because they do not own their datacenters, they rent servers / space in several DCs. If I am wrong, maybe @Jarland could correct me.

edited April 2016

jvnadr said: they rent servers / space in several DCs. If I am wrong, maybe @Jarland could correct me.

"Space" would be the only correct one. The rest is all us. We definitely don't rent servers, nor do we colocate with a customer of a datacenter. We work directly with the datacenter and control our own infrastructure 100%.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited April 2016

The reason why is stopped using DO is because I can't even have a custom kernel without contacting support.

(I'm using CentOS these days)

What gives?

edited April 2016

@FlamesRunner said:
    The reason why is stopped using DO is because I can't even have a custom kernel without contacting support.

(I'm using CentOS these days)

What gives?

In my first interview with the support director he asked if I had any questions for him. I asked "Why in the world did you not let customer servers manage their own kernels like a normal KVM?"

Currently the droplet manages its own kernel internally if you create a droplet with one of these operating system selections:

Ubuntu 15.x
    Debian 8
    Fedora 22+
    FreeBSD
    CoreOS

I'd like to see that list grow.

• Can't you just kexec to the kernel you want?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Yeah, but I'd prefer being able to control such from GRUB, not kexec.

They literally support Fedora - it isn't far from CentOS at this point.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jvnadr said: It is more difficult for them to create an infrastructure like online's scaleway, because they do not own their datacenters, they rent servers / space in several DCs.

Renting servers is one thing, and I don't think DO does this. Building your own DCs is another - lots and lots of companies see no advantage to being in the datacenter business and some of the world's biggest companies do not own their own DCs.

Running a proper Class 4 (or even Class 2) DC is not small matter - and beyond the cost, it's a significant drain on management. All those DC systems - electricity, UPS, fire suppression, biometrics, network links, generators, etc. - each have a contact, a vendor, schedules, people to hire to maintain, audits to pass, etc. You really need to be at mammoth scale to justify owning your own DC...assuming you want to do it right...

Thanked by 2david_W Pwner
  • @rds100 said:
    Can't you just kexec to the kernel you want?

How does this work on a high-level view? The machine boots with its preset kernel, and an init script uses kexec to "replace" the running kernel (in a "update-without-reboot" meaning)? So, it's just a matter of compiling your custom kernel with the required modules for the target platform?

• @jarland said:
    Challenge accepted! :P

First step include anti-ddos.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Any idea about the price?

• hmmmm. it was long time available on vultr and its free of 50GB

• jarland said: The rest is all us

So, do you have any plans to do something similar like scaleway? Deploying dedicated servers using a pool of storage? That would be really neat!

@jvnadr said:
    So, do you have any plans to do something similar like scaleway? Deploying dedicated servers using a pool of storage? That would be really neat!

I definitely think it would be cool. Whether or not it's the kind of thing that has high enough demand outside of hobbyists would be an interesting bit of market research. I'm not aware of any discussions to make something like that but who knows what the future holds.

Right now I think I'd like to see us continue to focus on the product at hand. There are a lot of things that people would love to see added to our cloud. If we can bring half of the functionality of something like AWS while maintaining a clear and clean approach to the features then I think we're on the right path.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • KrisKris Member

I love seeing them both copy each other.

Down to the twitter posts Good to know someone at DO is just as obsessed as copying Vultur as they are with DO.

Laughable.

Thanked by 1asf
  • @Kris said:
    I love seeing them both copy each other.

Isn't everyone just copying what AWS has done for a really long time?

Thanked by 1david_W
  • KrisKris Member

manacit said: Isn't everyone just copying what AWS has done for a really long time?

The timelines are hilarious. Block storage from Vultr, so DO rushes to get it out, probably had it in the works for a while.

Back in February Twitter picture of DO staff one day, next day Vultr posted one of their 'new' network tech. He left 2 months in.

Great watching them try to keep up with each other.

@Kris said:
    Great watching them try to keep up with each other

Gotta be honest I'm not feeling the sense of competition. I like vultr just fine, and I know that Dave is focused on competing, it's just not something I feel like we're sitting around talking about. Like I only recognize a sense of rivalry from IRC when Dave is talking to me.

There's always room for more people in this space, vultr is a great service to have on the market and I wish them well.

Thanked by 1yomero