Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edis Moves from Graz to Vienna
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Edis Moves from Graz to Vienna

sleddogsleddog Member
edited February 2013 in Providers

http://www.edis.at/en/support-and-service/blog/edis-moves-to-vienna/

And IPs will change. Info in that blog post seems to pertain to shared hosting. Maybe VPS customers will receive new IP notices?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

They didn't mention VPS customers.. mmm.

• @Infinity said: They didn't mention VPS customers

In the given timeframe there will be a downtime of webhosting plans, virtualization services and mail services located in our datacenter in Graz (Austria).

All hosting, virtualization- and mail-systems will be shut down, removed from the racks by our engineers and carefully packed on pallets to be transported to Vienna.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

Grr, I hate you. :D
    I'm blind. I dunno how I missed that.

• Yes @gsrdgrdghd that's what got my attention. And if IPs for shared services are changing, it's not unrealistic to think VPS IPs are changing also. But no mention of it.

• "Biometric access control
    Redundant air conditioning with free cooling (Green IT)
    Redundant power supplies with battery backup and diesel generators
    Fire prevention and smoke detection systems"

Who actually cares about these features? To be honest, I don't.

• Edis has its own RIPEs so majority IPs will stay as it is.

According to blog only 213.229.30.35 will be changing as its not on Edis RIPE, probably very old IP address from the beginning of Edis.

• @Freek said: Who actually cares about these features? To be honest, I don't.

From providers point of view, it is very useful :)

• @Liam said: This is from EDIS:

Source?

• Hi guys!
    no IP-addresses need to be changed on VPS. We only migrate the host-nodes to Vienna - all the network-stuff stays identical.

The IP-amendments only apply to some external domain names being pointed to a very old webhosting IP-address. This has nothing to do with our VPS services ;-)

Cheers,
    Gerhard @ EDIS

• ExPl0ReRExPl0ReR Member
    edited February 2013

@Liam said: All IP-addresses will stay the same. Only the host-nodes will be moved to Vienna. The network will terminate in Vienna instead of Graz, but all IP-settings will stay the same. Nothing needs to be changed at all! All VPS (KVM / VRS) will keep their IP-addresses.

source: me

Cheers,
    Gerhard

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Muaha... Closer to me. I will go and visit their offices someday and bring @William some cheap Hungarian cigarettes!

• @Oliver said: cheap Hungarian cigarettes!

hopefully this will make him stop smoking

smile

• @ExPl0ReR said: Hi guys!

no IP-addresses need to be changed on VPS.

Ah perfect, thank you.

May want to add that statement to the blog post....

• ExPl0ReRExPl0ReR Member
    edited February 2013

@sleddog said: May want to add that statement to the blog post....

thanks for your suggestion! It's already in the blog ...

*** NO VRS / KVM IP-addresses will change! Only the host-nodes will be moved to Vienna. The network will terminate in Vienna instead of Graz, but all IP-settings will stay the same. Nothing needs to be changed. All VPS (KVM / VRS) will keep their IP-addresses. ***

• Awesome, thanks :)

• pcanpcan Member
    edited February 2013

@Freek said: Who actually cares about these features?

They are targeted to enterprise customers. Proof that physical access control measures are in place is required, as example, during the auditing for AEO status and quality management certifications; biometric access control is one of the best measures today. Green IT measures are useful for ISO14001. Fire prevention and redundant power are industry standards, and are required by the insurance of colocated equipments.

@ExPl0ReR said: hopefully this will make him stop smoking

smile

If that is the end result nobody will complain! Seriously though, once you guys are settled in I wouldn't mind dropping in to say hi. I live in Budapest. :-)

• @Oliver said: If that is the end result nobody will complain! Seriously though, once you guys are settled in I wouldn't mind dropping in to say hi. I live in Budapest. :-)

Please feel free to visit us any time. Even to Graz the journey is not a problem with the recently opened highway via Maribor (SI)

Cheers,
    Gerhard

• @Oliver said: I live in Budapest. :-)

off-topic: btw, I lived in regi posta utca some years ago ;-)
    Gerhard

• Offtopic:

@Oliver said: I live in Budapest.

Although i've only visited Budapest once while waiting some hours for a train taking me to Siofok (Balaton) it seemed like a very nice city. How do you like living there? Btw i thought you lived in Australia o0

edited February 2013

I am from Australia but live here now.

I like living here a lot. Many reasons... but it's a subject for another topic (or IRC).

Gerhard I'll definitely drop in some time.

• apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited February 2013

@ExPl0ReR I thought you guys had your own datacenter in Graz? Vienna is an established datacenter or your facility? I hope you dont mind me asking, just being curious.

Good luck with the move :)

• @apollo15 Thanks for your wishes! We run our own datacenter in Graz, but we're slowly running out of space. In addition, we are able to get premium bandwidth in Vienna and can save a lot if we backhaul this bandwidth to Graz ourselves instead of purchasing upstreams from multiple local providers and paying premium for fibre and bandwidth.
    The facility in Graz we continue to run for dedicated and colocation. Everything else will be better off closer to the internet exchange point in Vienna. The vienna facility does not belong to us. It is a carrier-neutral datacenter offering the latest standards.
    Cheers,
    Gerhard

• @Oliver said: Seriously though, once you guys are settled in I wouldn't mind dropping in to say hi. I live in Budapest. :-)

Eh, we stay in Graz, only servers go to Vienna :)

@apollo15 said: I thought you guys had your own datacenter in Graz? Vienna is an established datacenter or your facility? I hope you dont mind me asking, just being curious.

I thought i expand the answer by Gerhard with some technical infos:

Having the core in Vienna is easier to manage and opens more bandwidth possibilitys, carrier options in Graz are limited, expensive (200-300% more than in Vienna) and mainly backhauled to Vienna anyway (UPC; Telekom Austria; i3B; Interoute) and while we could keep the core in Graz and VLAN the BW back from Vienna it would add cost and make not much sense in the end.
    (As both Telia and Interoute are present in Graz with own fiber we have a lot of (cheap) Backhaul BW to Vienna available as well as redundant L2 circuits over Infinera DWDM (1G/10G/40G per wave) multiplexers with automatic failover)

The network in Vienna consists of VIX (Vienna Internet Exchange, gets us a lot of Balkan bound routes as well, for example SBB (Serbia) and Telecom Slovenia), ReTN (a large East European and Scandinavian carrier based in Ukraine with direct Ukraine/Russia bound path from Vienna over Hungary), Hurricane Electric (for US bound routes as well as DECIX/AMSIX) and FiberRing (Leasewebs/Ocoms bandwidth selling company, Telia/Interoute/Level3 and DECIX/AMSIX as well as extensive private peering in AMS).
    The VIX port is currently pending, and might not be available at start (same with FiberRing), HE is already online and ReTN is currently connecting.

Direct DECIX/LINX/AMSIX ports (via L2 backhaul) are a pending option for the future via Atrato (Largest AMSIX reseller) and UAIX/MSKIX ports are optional over ReTN transport as well.
    While Vienna is not a major EU Pop nearly any carrier is available, so we have a lot of options in the future (Cogent, Level3, Telecom Italia, Tinet, Telia... even NTT and AT&T etc.) - Vienna is also THE hub in the EU to the east (Ukraine, Russia etc.) and many ISPs from there are peering on VIX (Rostelecom, UARNet, Ukrtelekom among others).

The Backbone MetroE is built on Force10 (now acquired by Dell) C/DWDM hardware in a mesh/star configuration connecting 2 sites in Vienna (DC1 InterXion/DC2 our Colo at IP.One) and 2 sites in Graz (DC1 Neufeldweg, the largest carrier site in Graz as well as home of the GRAX exchange/DC2 EDIS), Routing as before by Cisco hardware.

The MetroE (better: "CountryE") can be expanded to other locations in Austria easily (Klagenfurt, Linz, St. Pölten, Salzburg) as well as to other nearby countries (Vaduz, Liechtenstein; Budapest & Gyor, Hungary; Brno & Prague, CZ; Bratislava, Slovakia; Maribor, Slovenia) for further peering/transit and us selling transit if we want.

Network wise this will show massive improvement for most customers (positive) and a slight increase in latency (+6ms~) (so negative) to UPC Austria customers (as this goes to Vienna now and is not peered in Graz anymore).

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • Is there any test ip yet for the network in Vienna?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Is there any test ip yet for the network in Vienna?

Not yet, next week.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@William said: and a slight increase in latency (+6ms~) (so negative) to UPC Austria customers (as this goes to Vienna now and is not peered in Graz anymore).

Pffft.... that's almost 30% more latency for me! :P
    Naah, it's ok - I just needed to comment something :)

• Well.

This means nothing to me, oh Vienna.

• @ElliotJ said: Well.

This means nothing to me, oh Vienna.

Well.

Your comment means nothing to me, oh Elliot.

• @ElliotJ said: This means nothing to me, oh Vienna.

Nice reminder :)

_The feeling has gone only you and I

It means nothing to me
    This means nothing to me
    Oh, Vienna_