Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end ddos protected vps's? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end ddos protected vps's?

Comments

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited February 2013

@Francisco they said that there have been constant outages on awknet this past few weeks. Is this true?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1234740

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Simple3x said: @Francisco they said that there have been constant outages on awknet. Is this true?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1234740

I suffered the supervisor card blow out that you linked there as well as some blips back in December. Justin told me that the December issues were due to some of his providers breaking their blackhole communities so some very large floods were causing some burps.

Awk's biggest issue is how quickly Justin replies to non emergency tickets. The network is pretty solid and the filtering works well.

Francisco

• @Francisco Would you mind disclosing which awknet plan are you on?

@Simple3x said: @Francisco Would you mind disclosing which awknet plan are you on?

We have a custom plan with Awk, but the box is an i7 w/ 16GB RAM and some other trimmings.

Since we don't use awk for their TCP filtering we get a lot of grace in our inbound transit.

Francisco

• @Francisco you do use a different service for your tcp filtering though?

Sorry if i got a lot of questions well was already looking to buy your 2gb ovz but then its out of stock :(

@Simple3x said: @Francisco you do use a different service for your tcp filtering though?

Sorry if i got a lot of questions well was already looking to buy your 2gb ovz but then its out of stock :(

We do our own TCP filtering. It's pretty good but there's always room for improving. :)

Just ticket, i'm sure we got one spare.

Francisco

edited February 2013

Im still doing some rough canvas but surely buyvm's one from the top list. Thanks for the info francisco

• NexusNexus Member
    edited February 2013

To me, if a host has "DDOS" protection on their page, makes me have a second thought, don't know why :P

• I understand the concern @Nexus :) Me I harbor the same feeling (screams kids, IRC, gameservers, etc.).

From experience we've seen 1000 wanna be hosts with all sorts of features. Not many get the DDoS or the hands on with their network to the detail to keep things working right.

BuyVM is one of those rare companies that gets it.

@Nexus said: To me, if a host has "DDOS" protection on their page, makes me have a second though, don't know why :P

The problem is most hosts don't have something to protect against the floods they miss. Even with awknet we have an autonull that catches anything that passes through to Las Vegas. It sucks for the client but everyone at the company gets an email alert with a sample of the flood attached. From there we apply additional rules.

@Simple3x said: Im still doing some rough canvas but surely buyvm's one from the top list. Thanks for the info francisco

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll my best to answer them.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We do our own TCP filtering. It's pretty good but there's always room for improving. :)

Just ticket, i'm sure we got one spare.

Are you able to provide some assistance with setting up TCP filtering?
    I'd like some better protection for my Awknet dedi.

@Andre said: Are you able to provide some assistance with setting up TCP filtering?

I'd like some better protection for my Awknet dedi.

Can't alas.

Justin claimed he improved his own platform a lot but from what I was seeing, it was still blocking TCP > 150K pps.

Francisco

• @pubcrawler said: BuyVM is one of those rare companies that gets it.

Yeah, I was just gonna say, a simple recent post search on @Francisco will show that he has every right to market that.

I am looking at Burst.NET's "DDOS Protection: CISCO™ GUARD" and it seems less eerie than what I initially thought, most likely because Burst is pretty active on WHT for years, I don't doubt they know what they're doing. (Inb4 Burst Haters)

Fair enough, I guess it depends on what company and how much a background check/review you do on them.

@Nexus said: I am looking at Burst.NET's "DDOS Protection:

Bursts filtering isn't there to protect the client all the time like some always-on filtering. Their filtering is more to lend you a hand in the rare chance you got something small, but more so to protect their network (think an incredibly overpriced autonull). They've made multiple statements on WHT that if you're coming to them with a couple gigs of UDP on your tail, that they'll simply refund you as they don't want to deal with the network load.

Cisco Guards can do some heavy lifting but are stupid expensive units to deploy.

Francisco

edited February 2013

Im also looking at staminus right now, any thoughts experiences reviews whatsoever?

@Simple3x said: Im also looking at stimulus right now, any thoughts experiences reviews whatsoever?

You mean Staminus?

Staminus provides the best coverage of any company out there but you pay for that privilege. They have insanely complex systems in place that I can only dream of some day coming remotely close to.

Staminus has personally recommended us on a few occasions to clients that have a very tight budget but if you got the money to spend on it? Then they'll do right by you.

Francisco

• Edited
    Staminus yeah, lol.

Do they have like an extra panel for ddos!/ floods filtering or anything of that kind?

@Simple3x said: Do they have like an extra panel for ddos!/ floods filtering or anything of that kind?

They have basic ACL controls from within the panel.

You can control what IP's can contact you as well as rate limit different types of traffic.

Their DDOS filtering is under their 'secureport' addon.

Their dedi's provide basic filtering (up to around 50K pps / 500Mbit).

Francisco

• Does buyvm have that too?

@Simple3x said: Does buyvm have that too?

Have what? Basic filtering included? Nope.

We have an autonull that keeps an eye on all unfiltered IP's and blocks at certain levels.

Our filtering is $3.00/month so you aren't breaking the bank with it.

Francisco

• I wish there was at least one more decent low priced (paid) provider.

• +1 @jbxl -- with DDoS service.

Need this on the east coast and midwest too.

• Wasn't there someone who offered a decent version of this in the EU somewhere?

• @Francisco no i mean that dos acp thingy.
    I really want to touch acp's like that

@Simple3x said: @Francisco no i mean that dos acp thingy.

I really want to touch acp's like that

You mean ACL's :)

You can apply ACL's through staminus' panel. So you can say 'block all UDP' or 'block all TCP to port XXXX'

Francisco

• Foo im wacked lol, ACL's yes.
    So yeahh, buyvm does not have that one yet?

• Take a look at Black Lotus too.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler said: Need this on the east coast

Depending on how Oregon turns out, we hope to have Atlanta online in March. :)

@Simple3x said: Foo im wacked lol, ACL's yes.

So yeahh, buyvm does not have that one yet?

We do, just not automated.

I applied a few to a client today that only wanted 4 ports open :)

Francsico

• @KuJoe, will the Atlanta location be backhauled from Oregon or is your provider putting gear in Atlanta and network?