Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iran based clients... Legal in the United States? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Iran based clients... Legal in the United States?

Comments

• Boy it might be a much better world when US superpower status declines further.

This economic warfare against Iran, I just don't agree with. Just like the embargo against Cuba for nearly 60 years. For what? Kicking the mafia, governement, etc. out of Cuba?

Laws will be laws, until one leaves and renounces citizenship though.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Careful of taking it more toward topics for the "cest pit" ;)

You know how out of control politics can get here. (Everyone laughs at the ironic fact that I'm 30% of it)

• True @jaland, true.

Always perturbed by random laws the average business person can't logically have any clue about.

• Beware: dealing with Iranian clients is also illegal in some European countries

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: This economic warfare against Iran, I just don't agree with. Just like the embargo against Cuba for nearly 60 years. For what? Kicking the mafia, governement, etc. out of Cuba?

Radically different.

Only the US has sanctions against Cuba - largely because Cuba illegally seized lots of US-owned business, factories, etc. (Yes, the mafia suffered too but that is not part of the US gov't concerns). Whether they're still a good idea is certainly debatable, though I can tell you that lots and lots and lots of ex-Cubans who live in the US will vote against any US candidate who proposes removing them. It's a big issue still here in the US, 50 years later.

Real bummer that democracy.

On the other hand, much of the world has sanctions against Iran because they are making nukes. Iran signed a treaty saying they wouldn't and agreeing to inspections if suspicions are reasonably raised, and they've refused to allow inspections and continue to make them. 99% of the world has signed that same treaty and tomorrow if Ireland or Poland or Thailand or Bolivia started making nukes, the world's reaction would be the same: "fine, we won't trade with you until you abide by your treaty obligations".

There are some countries that still trade with Iran - North Korea, China, Russia. Yes, you will love it when they are the superpowers...

@pubcrawler said: Boy it might be a much better world when US superpower status declines further.

You really need to read more. I know America-bashing is popular with college students and there is no shortage of things to bash, but when done without facts it just sounds ignorant.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: 99% of the world has signed that same treaty

So, I sign a treaty and there are suspicions never proved i make nuclear bombs. This means sanctions, war preparation, regime change (far from me to say iran couldnt do with a regime change, on the contrary).
    Others dont sign the treaty and admit more or less veiled they have hundreds of nukes already, 0 international control over them, heck, even russia has them accounted, but these others are the most democratic country, the pillar of democracy in a sea of terrorists, the bunker getting weapons at discounted prices and direct state aid which was never cut despite of the crisis.
    They say Iran does not respect UN resolutions on one subject while Israel respects them pretty much on one subject only, the first ones are the absolute evil, the others are the absolute angels worth supporting in countless wars, with money and blood.
    Cool.

• You really need to read more. I know America-bashing is popular with college students

I attended an ivy league university silly and that was decades ago.

Economic boycotts punish the people in that country. The US does this to promote insurrection and overthrows. Citizens of those countries starve and endure ugly stuff.

Iran is evil for nuclear aspirations? Funny, tell France, UK, US, Russia, India, Pakistan, Israel, et. al. to disarm then. Oh they won't ever. The US started this destructive weapons proliferation. Can't punish a country for doing what you are doing "wrong".

We'll take this over to the Cest Pit :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Maounique said: So, I sign a treaty and there are suspicions never proved i make nuclear bombs. This means sanctions, war preparation, regime change (far from me to say iran couldnt do with a regime change, on the contrary).

They don't have to be "proved". Sequence of events:

1. You sign a treaty saying UN can inspect
    2. Someone suspects you're making nukes
    3. UN says "we are going to inspect"
    4. You say "no way"
    5. Sanctions

@pubcrawler said: Iran is evil for nuclear aspirations? Funny, tell France, UK, US, Russia, India, Pakistan, Israel, et. al. to disarm then. Oh they won't ever. The US started this destructive weapons proliferation. Can't punish a country for doing what you are doing "wrong".

Did Iran sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty? Yes.

Did it break the terms? Yes.

Then why are you whining for it? The treaty explicitly calls out the countries that are allowed to have nukes and those that aren't. Iran agreed to this.

Pakistan, India, and Israel never signed, so are not bound.

edited February 2013

@raindog308 said: You sign a treaty saying UN can inspect

Someone suspects you're making nukes
    UN says "we are going to inspect"
    You say "no way"
    Sanctions

So better sign no treaty or withdraw.
    But anyway, it isnt correct.
    The events go like this:
    1. Sign treaty.
    2. Israel suspects you are making nukes. Israel is not part so uses US proxy to ask for spy, err, inspections.
    3. UN gets "convinced" to inspect and goes there.
    4. After years of inspections and no proof the accusations continue and sanctions are already in place.
    5. You say, who cares, it wont matter anyway and kick the inspectors.
    6. The sanctions indeed get worse, but you increasingly dont care as you deal mainly with the russians and chinese.
    7. Israel will start the war anyway, so better be prepared.

Sanctions didnt work, rallied the ppl around an unpopular regime that would have fallen if it had no excuse for the increasingly dire economic situation and the lack of human rights and democracy.
    The good guys won again.

• Good is such a relative term. We need metrics to prove such things :)

Governments want no such metrics and fairness.

• Here's the problem guys:

1) Iran starts nuclear development for claims of nuclear power (Fine and great)
    2) Iran signs UN treaty (Like stated)
    3) Iran gets audited (From space, via satellite)
    4) It aint for power (Therefore breaking the treaty)
    5) US Sanctions (Therefore no VPS with Iranians)

http://www.nti.org/gsn/article/iran-transfers-soil-base-targeted-nuclear-auditors-envoys/

• Here is the easiest piece of advice I can give anyone even dreaming of doing business with Iran from the U.S. Don't unless you want to be butt hurt for real. That is no joke.

• Well folks, I won't say who, but we have a big known provider on here who is directly peered to Iranians.

Iranians peered as a downstream customer with IP space that goes straight to their US datacenter. With .ir domains hosted on servers in the United States.

• @pubcrawler said: Iranians peered as a downstream customer with IP space that goes straight to their US datacenter. With .ir domains hosted on servers in the United States.

Uhh, that's not good. Don't let the US Gov. know lol

• Oh yeah @KernelSanders... It's pretty serious and clear as the sun at noon in July.

• They will catch on sooner or later and they put an end to it. It's entirely possible they are being watched even as we speak.

• We can only hope @AuroraZ. But I fear what this community may become in light of such an action by law.

@AuroraZ said: They will catch on sooner or later and they put an end to it.

Come on, lets not believe the story all those superpayed agents for policing the internet are there doing nothing while iranians are doing their dastardly deeds sending the nuclear weapons through IMAP and HTTP under their nose...

• Well there has long been this view that Iran has a pretty big sleeper agent cell living and blended in the United States. Especially in California.

The point was brought up here:
    http://www.newser.com/story/149648/ex-cia-agent-irans-sleeper-cells-ready-to-strike.html

Same idea has been brought up by federal elected folks and finger wagging that Iranians are working with Mexican drug cartels.

• @pubcrawler I really hate to say this but maybe they should have read the law before going into business? Maybe kept on it if already in business?

I won't ask for any details mainly because I won't ask anyone to rat anyone else out, but if you are in business you have a responsibility to follow the laws. If the laws say do not do that, then don't do that.

I do get what you are saying though. I agree completely and at some point we must draw the line. The main issue is going to be when and where to draw that line.

• Yeah I have fingerpaints and it's a circle being drawn @AuroraZ.

I don't agree with being accepting of the illegal actions, nor the outdated war based laws.

In many ways the whole thing is entirely poetic.

I can't see this provider dealing with the "enemy" doing so unknowingly. At minimum such a legal action might really force hosts in the United States to audit what and who is on their servers and networks far more. It would certainly shake this marketplace up more than probably any other.

• @pubcrawler That might be what it takes also. Usually people will not do anything about something until they are forced to do it. Especially if doing said thing would cost them something, eg. money.

Money is a big motivator in this world and can buy a lot of things. Especially if a lot of it thrown at someone. What they fail to realize is that when this backfires, and it will, the money won't be able to help them at all. The government will seize that as well.

We are not talking about something like MegaUpload here. This is whole another animal entirely and can be viewed as an act of domestic terrorism if the government wants to see it this way.

• @AuroraZ said: We are not talking about something like MegaUpload here. This is whole another animal entirely and can be viewed as an act of domestic terrorism if the government wants to see it this way.

Agreed. And confirmed.

• True @AuroraZ, the terrorism moniker is a mighty ugly and unfair thing.

Nobody likes a rat, including me. Government inefficiencies though eventually catch up when they look for fundraising sources.

@AuroraZ said: can be viewed as an act of domestic terrorism if the government wants to see it this way.

Anything can, including giving to the "wrong" charity.
    It sucks to be thrown in jail, tortured, even killed for something you had no idea about, so, you stop giving to charities with the word islam, arabic, persian, whatever that rings a bell just to be on the safe side.
    And real terrorists will setup some fake ones for Israel or set ponzi schemes like that madoff character, nobody will look into it as long as it is supposedly for the "right" cause.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well our executive orders rise above standard sanctions. They're pretty tough.

• If anyone can determine an electronic means (form, email, etc.) to contact the Treasury about such questions of law compliance, I'll inquire. Mind you, not declaring who or what, but as a matter of clarification of law/regulations.

I think there can be IPs geolocated in US operated by non-us companies, geolocation is not such a strict business.

• The IPs are Iranian owned. Go to US datacenter. Route is clean and clear. Servers host .ir domains and other domains that the whois info says Iran.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

raindog308 said "Did Iran sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty? Yes.

The US signed the treaty and in September it announced it will be spending $352 billion over the next decade upgrading/updating its nuclear weapons stockpiles which is in violation of the NNPT which calls for the disarmament and dismantling of existing nuclear weapons. Using your logic the US is violation of the terms of the treaty and sanctions should be placed on it.

raindog308 said "Did it break the terms? Yes."

If your only news source is the US corporate owned media, and Nutjobyahoo then it did. If you actually read the entire reports of the inspectors (yes, Iran allows nuclear inspections) the evidence is inconclusive and they have yet to find any real evidence that it is attempting to develop nuclear weapons.

raindog308 said "Pakistan, India, and Israel never signed, so are not bound."

North Korea withdrew from the treaty in 2003 so it is not legally bound to the terms of the treaty either and therefore if Pakistan, India, and Israel are not subject to sanctions for their nuclear activities it shouldn't be subject to sanctions either because it is no longer a signatory of the NNPT.

raindog308 said "I know America-bashing is popular with college students"

and older people too...I graduated from college at the tailend of Reagan's 1st term :P