Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEBRadio needs Donations - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEBRadio needs Donations

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Hey Guys,
    We can get the chat show, if people can help out by taking an interview of a provider or two, I have no problem in playing Chat Shows, as they are what people like :)

PM me with the mp3 link to the recorded chat show and we'll stream it.

• If the "talk show" would already be recorded, why would we use radio for playing it? We could just share the link here and listen it when we have time.

Internet radios are cool, but only when they are for one genre, or actually for community(Which means live programs). Problem is, now you're just playing whatever crap masses want, nobody wants to listen that(As from your listener count you notice), they have their own taste and can very well download the music they want.

But this talk show idea as podcast sounds cool, I would really like to have 5-10min interview with Fran and Robert from RAMHost, but what they would talk about?

It's promising idea, but requires some sort of questions and skilled interviewer to make it interesting.

• It could get out as a podcast...

@mina : Well, For example, You can listen to songs on your iPod and you get bored of them, and when you listen to the same song on the radio, your not bored of it.. just like that .. we could ask questions like a fast 60 seconds interview, like the ones on TV in which they ask one liner questions to celebs ? In our case we'll ask questions related to VPS's and tech. ?

@Boltersdriveer : That's also possible, as its content owned by us, releasing the podcast of the interview wont be a problem.

• @SpeedBus said: PM me with the mp3 link to the recorded chat show and we'll stream it.

Recorded? what fun is a radioshow if it's not live?

hmm.. i'm not sure about how to do live radioshows and broadcast them at the same time :(

• @xprotocept said: We do not want to use Icecast Broadcasting

Why not?

Vorbis would save your soul :D

• I'll happily supply a lowend VPS for you guys to run a shoutcast server on or some streaming software.

Anything for the LEB Community <3

What are the laws in usa about streaming music you purchased from a song website?

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited December 2011

I will provide a shoutcast account if you need it :)

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2011

@SpeedBus said: hmm.. i'm not sure about how to do live radioshows and broadcast them at the same time :(

It's been a long time so I don't remember the details, but basically we used to do it with a Windows box and a small 4-channel mixer.

The Windows box had two soundcards:

• Music app (we used Foobar2000) sent its output to soundcard 1.
    • Ventrilo (for remote voice connections) sent its output to soundcard 2

Then it was brought together at the mixer:

• DJ microphone to mixer channel 1
    • Local guest microphone to mixer channel 2
    • soundcard 1 line-out to mixer channel 3
    • soundcard 2 line-out to Peavey channel 4

The DJ operated the mixer and the music app/playlist so he could fade-in fade-out the levels for music, DJ mic, guest mic, and remote guests (connected via Ventrilo).

Then it was sent back to the computer for encoding:

• Mixer 'main out' to soundcard 1 line-in

We used Oddcast (no longer available) to encode the input into a 128kbps MP3 stream. At the time I was having technical issues producing good AAC or OGG on Windows. I dunno the current status of encoding sofware, but I'm sure there's something available that can take the input on a soundcard and encode it....

What I did instead was send the 128kbps MP3 stream to a local Linux box running streamTranscoder. That box then produced two streams -- one ~48kbps OGG and a 16kbps MPS for dialup listeners -- and relayed those streams to Icecast running on a VPS.

I also fed the 48kbps OGG stream to StreamerP2P, which increased our listener capacity without using precious VPS bandwidth.

So listeners could get the Icecast stream directly, or install the StreamerP2P (Windows) and listen that way -- and relay the stream.

You can also extend you listener capacity by chaining Icecast servers -- e.g. VPS-1 runs Icecast and allows up to 20 listeners, and also relays the stream to Icecast on VPS-2 which allows another 20 listeners.

If you're not doing any encoding/re-encoding on the VPSs they'll use very little CPU and memory. Its the encoding or re-encoding that expensive in term of CPU usage particularly.

Fun, what? :)

• Or http://livestream.com (or http://ustream.tv) with Skype. Easiest way.

@sleddog : Looks difficult, I don't know why :(

@Boltersdriveer : I was thinking of recording it over Skype and then adding it to the playlist ?

@DanielM : I guess the MP3 license is working well, so we dont need one currently :) thanks for offering it :)

@EaseVPS : I'll discuss with xprotocept and get back to you :)

• Holy Jeebus, any online Karaoke? Although I'd probably hate listening to someone singing about how the server provisioning is taking too long, or how this provider is overselling...you know, lousy lyrics and all.

@Paul : I have no problem in implementing a Karaoke or Talk show, Just need people to come together and help out :)

• @SpeedBus said: @sleddog : Looks difficult, I don't know why :(

Lots of things look difficult until you get your hands dirty and try stuff :)

What I did was 6 years ago; today there's lots of new options. You can re-use old hardware (I was using retired P3s) and free/open-source software. Do some research and mess around with different ideas. You may not develop a hit radio station, but at the end of the day you'll learn a lot :)

• After wasting a few minutes reading this thread, 1) i still can't figure out what the hell an mp3 license is for, and 2) it's pretty clear this idea is fairly useless. :)

• jhjh Member

I don't see LEB Radio being a success. Why not just do podcast interviews? That would be easier, more interesting and you wouldn't need to worry about licensing.

• @rajprakash said: After wasting a few minutes reading this thread, 1) i still can't figure out what the hell an mp3 license is for, and 2) it's pretty clear this idea is fairly useless. :)

1) there isn't such a thing, -- you'd be getting a license from http://www.ascap.com http://www.bmi.com/licensing etc, not a "mp3 license" and it's NOWHERE close to $5.

2) durfffffff

edited December 2011

@rajprakash : An MP3 License is required for streaming content in MP3 format in ShoutCast, Got any better ideas in your head ? I'm sure you do.

@jtodd : We need help in doing interviews etc, there are many good ideas listed in both the Radio threads, we need some more guys to help in.

@justinb : True.

• @SpeedBus said: @rajprakash : An MP3 License is required for streaming content in MP3 format in ShoutCast, Got any better ideas in your head ? I'm sure you do.

Icecast?

@tux : We already got the license :)

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited December 2011

Okay, since people are doing this podcast shit:
    1) I'll probably start up a channel on Livestream.com dedicated to this, but I'd need help.
    2) I need members to open up questions, providers willing to pitch in to help answer the questions.
    3) The MP3 Downloads will probably be around somewhere for you to download.
    4) Perhaps someone who would convert it to text format.
    5) Discussions, tips and tricks etc.

Thanked by 1mina
  • ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

If anyone wanted to interview me that could be arranged, assuming anyone cares what I have to say :P

• If you can't afford the small $5 for the license you really aren't the person for this, when I listened to a radio the DJ had about $100 worth of equipment that he used to really DJ and not just stream music.

everyone, we got the license days ago !!!! read the whole topic.

im going to start interviews next weekend.

• @ramnet said: If anyone wanted to interview me that could be arranged, assuming anyone cares what I have to say :P

Who are you again? :)

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited December 2011

@ramnet said: If anyone wanted to interview me that could be arranged, assuming anyone cares what I have to say :P

[following drmike]
    sorry, i think i miss something,, who are you? :P
    [/following drmike]

@SpeedBus & @xprotocept really nice to hear any interview from the big three of LEB provider. :)

^^ buyvm, ramhost and ? quickweb ?

• yep.. :D @ramnet for the first start.. :)