Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net DC2 Room 103 Network Issue - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net DC2 Room 103 Network Issue

Comments

• asfasf Member

DC2 Room: 103, Line: K

Selecting best server based on latency...
    Hosted by NEOTELECOMS (Paris) [1.71 km]: 1.803 ms
    Testing download speed........................................
    Download: 527.22 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed..................................................
    Upload: 27.83 Mbit/s

DC3 Room: 4, Line: B

Hosted by NEOTELECOMS (Paris) [1.59 km]: 2.28 ms
    Download: 580.99 Mbit/s
    Upload: 27.46 Mbit/s

DC3 Room: 4, Line: D

Hosted by NEOTELECOMS (Paris) [1.59 km]: 2.191 ms
    Download: 883.92 Mbit/s
    Upload: 267.57 Mbit/s

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

MarkTurner said: Unmetered isn't really the culprit, its about dimensioning the network to support it. If you're offering 100Mbps unmetered then you have to calculate the reasonable contention at each aggregation point in the network.

I prefer it, as I am a very high user, and so I don't have to worry. At this rate, I would be getting thrown out of Delimiter once a week...

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • hawc said: I prefer it, as I am a very high user, and so I don't have to worry. At this rate, I would be getting thrown out of Delimiter once a week...

No-one is going to get thrown out for using all their bandwidth. If you order a server with 50TB traffic, thats your 50TB.

MarkTurner said: No-one is going to get thrown out for using all their bandwidth. If you order a server with 50TB traffic, thats your 50TB.

I meant that ideally I need as much bandwith as possible/can be given to me.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Extreme terms to use with a customer :)

Branleur which basically means wanker or tosser. Still I was planning to pickup a bigger server at the time and it would of been with them had it not been for that member of staff. Oh well, pushed me towards OVH and I've not looked back since.

• IThinkUFailed said: Branleur which basically means wanker or tosser.

I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt, if they called you wanker (English) they may not have known the meaning. But their native language, they intended to offend.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2016

@MarkTurner you have to offer >20 TB bw on an 1Gbps port, at least 2x2TB hdd, more than an atom cpu and not less than 16 GB RAM for as low as 16,- €

but be warned, they'll come after you if your support won't answer in minutes 24/7 or your network blipps.

edit says: @hawc if I had to guess, I'd say they may apply some kind of automated limits to 'power users' - which I'd find reasonable ;-) (no offense meant)

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@boernd said:
    Their ams-ix peering has been congested for weeks and they don't care.
    I already got complaints from some users.

Would just like to point out I have talked to online.net staff in IRC about the AMS-IX congestion and they are working on it but it takes time.

• @MarkTurner said:
    But their native language, they intended to offend.

Definitely. I'll admit I was a bit hostile in my approach after being accused of sending a DDoS but I never once attacked them. The worst it got was "Sort out your crappy system".

Which it actually was a crappy system as this was like three weeks after being accused originally and nothing else occurred so I went to highlight it to head of networking which is Mikmak... Oh boy was he helpful /s

I'll never purchase any servers or services in general from them. Once I've found a server to replace my friends I'll go ahead and help him migrate to it. Until then though, I'm stuck with them.

But I've not had any issues at OVH thus far...

Oh... and their CEO stated that they've not had a false positive with their network detection's in 10 years or some crap...

• IThinkUFailed said: Oh... and their CEO stated that they've not had a false positive with their network detection's in 10 years or some crap...

I have two servers with them for personal use, one was shutdown as it was sending a DOS. There was nothing installed on either system at the time and when they finally unblocked the server there was 4MB of outbound transfer and 6MB of inbound on the interface.

Clearly someone just hijacked the IP and was blasting out traffic.

Definite false positive, even my network stats provided by them showed no traffic

I still remember the hell I had when their billing screwed up, and took an extra 50 EUR from my debit card without asking... (they re billed a setup fee). That was a pain to get refunded.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2016

Here is my wish for 2016:
    A provider with Hetzner's support,
    OVH's DDoS protection & network
    and Online.net's hardware.

All for < EUR 50.
    Thank you in advance!

Thanked by 2netomx Falzo
  • Amitz said: Here is my wish for 2016:

What spec are you expecting for €50?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2016

MarkTurner said: What spec are you expecting for €50?

A decent E3v3,
    32 GB ECC RAM,
    2x3 TB "Enterprise" Drives,
    1 Gbps with 500 Mbps guaranteed (unmetered or capped at 20-50 TB)

Something like that, in the EU. If I am allowed to dream loudly. I know that it won't happen. :)

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • ShigawireShigawire Member
    edited March 2016

@MarkTurner said:

>

Maybe something like Dual L5630/24GB/2TB/20TB.. But not sure if that could be made. Oh, wait!

Thanked by 1MarkTurner

Meh, I wouldn't mind an atom C2750, with less RAM, and 2x2TB for a bit cheaper. Same bandwidth though.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @hawc said:
    That is so typical of Online. Its apparently never their issue, their network apparently never drops packets, apparently it never looses speed, and apparently it is every one else's fault, all of the time.

I burnt 120 euros of setup fees and a lot of time and energy discussing with them.
    I feel exactly like you

I'm bad though, I've given Online so many chances, and every time something has happened.

• Shigawire said: Maybe something like Dual L5630/24GB/2TB/20TB.. But not sure if that could be made. Oh, wait!

The US L5630 offer could work in Europe, but pricing would be higher due to higher electrical costs.

• hawc said: Meh, I wouldn't mind an atom C2750, with less RAM, and 2x2TB for a bit cheaper. Same bandwidth though.

C2750's don't really work well for dedicated servers, they are pretty weak but expensive CPUs.

• Amitz said: A decent E3v3,

32 GB ECC RAM,
    2x3 TB "Enterprise" Drives,
    1 Gbps with 500 Mbps guaranteed (unmetered or capped at 20-50 TB)

OVH has some good offers like that :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2016

Datacenter: DC3, Room: 4

root@E3:~# ./speedtest-cli

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...

Retrieving speedtest.net server list...

Testing from Free SAS ...

Hosted by NEOTELECOMS (Paris) [1.59 km]: 1.147 ms

Download: 918.43 Mbit/s

Upload: 24.29 Mbit/s

One of the VM's was pushing 12MB/s out at that Moment, but it should reach more upload.

Also tested with my Kidichire, but it can get even worse with that Dedi, since 24 of them using a Gbit Port, it seems like Online does not really care about if some user spikes to Gbit and slows everyone on that Port down.

• The ones of you having the performance issues - are you all in the same rack/same row/same room?

It may just be a congested switch.

@MarkTurner said:
    C2750's don't really work well for dedicated servers, they are pretty weak but expensive CPUs.

Whatever would work them, heck. Atlanta would be OK, as long as it had enough bandwidth and was well priced. And as long as it has power/cooling (which, as we all know, has been an issue for Delimiter before). (That joke is never going to get old)

• AmitzAmitz Member

@MarkTurner said:
    OVH has some good offers like that :)

As I said...

Amitz said: A provider with Hetzner's support,

OVH's DDoS protection & network
    and Online.net's hardware.

All for < EUR 50.

Thank you in advance!

OVH is just a third of my wish list.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • hawc said: Whatever would work them, heck. Atlanta would be OK, as long as it had enough bandwidth and was well priced. And as long as it has power/cooling (which, as we all know, has been an issue for Delimiter before). (That joke is never going to get old)

Atlanta is a very low cost site, there is another one low cost site coming online in the next 4-6 weeks (US again).

If you want cooling and power, of course that maybe extra on your plan, you'll need to check whats included with your package ;)

• Amitz said: OVH is just a third of my wish list.

I find OVH ticks all the boxes for me, support has been great, DDOS protection great for the very limited use I have had of it and their hardware has been second to none.

I have had nothing but a good experience with OVH.

As long as it can provide: server + bandwidth + cold + power + support that doesn't call you a DDoSer and a wanker

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited March 2016

Got great network with the DC3

Hosted by NEOTELECOMS (Paris) [1.59 km]: 1.281 ms
    Download: 897.15 Mbit/s
    Upload: 608.04 Mbit/s

Limited edition 1115 (got guaranteed traffic)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • hawc said: As long as it can provide: server + bandwidth + cold + power + support that doesn't call you a DDoSer and a wanker

Server + bandwidth + cooling + power should be workable.

The DDOSer part you'll be called if you do it or receive it

The wanker bit we'll say behind your back but not to your face ;)