Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net DC2 Room 103 Network Issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net DC2 Room 103 Network Issue

Others have mentioned this later in this thread.

Here's a speedtest (08161 in DC2 Room 103 Line K):

Selecting best server based on latency...
b'Hosted by NEOTELECOMS (Paris) [1.59 km]: 1.271 ms'
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 715.55 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 106.77 Mbit/s

I'm expecting something like this (08164 in DC3):

b'Hosted by NEOTELECOMS (Paris) [1.59 km]: 1.062 ms'
Download: 932.50 Mbit/s
Upload: 764.74 Mbit/s

According to FS#499:

An issue is being experienced in Datacenter DC2, Room 103 (on an incoming 48V power supply which is powering some of our switchs in this room).
This is being fixed by our concerned team.
This should not affect your production at the moment.
Thanks for your understanding.

And it's been there since Jan 27th.

Inbound is fine, outbound averages 20~30Mbps... So I wouldn't really consider it "not affect your production at the moment."

After asking other users, it seems only Line K's affected. A simple test shows that if traffic goes through a proxy in DC3, outbound sustains at ~30 MiB/s...

Let's find out how serious this issue is...
  1. Are you affected by online.net's FS#499?36 votes
    1. Only heard about it now.
      38.89%
    2. Not at all.
      30.56%
    3. Yes, mine is in DC2 Room 103 Line K.
      25.00%
    4. Yes, but mine is not in DC2 Room 103 Link K.
        2.78%
    5. I was, but not any more.
        0.00%
    6. Not sure.
        2.78%

Comments

• tommytommy Member

WTF WTF WTF WTF

• ahokkahokk Member
    edited March 2016

mine on DC 2

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from Dedibox SAS ... Selecting best server based on latency... Hosted by NEOTELECOMS (Paris) [1.59 km]: 2.147 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 922.40 Mbit/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 485.83 Mbit/s

• I am in room 101a corridor b rack abc.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR
    edited March 2016

I see exactly the same thing. Care for a comment @mikmak ?

Datacenter: DC2, Room: 103, Zone: PRO, Line: A, Rack: 1

• bashlykbashlyk Member
    edited March 2016

Same location and same issue here

• Me too, just hit 100Mbps for upload like yours.

• nothing much to comment @hawc
    these are limited editions with no guaranteed bandwidth

the FS ticket mentionned has really nothing to do with bandwidth issues (this ticket is an electricity ticket, nothing to do with network capacity)
    I can only suggest that each of you being affected contact our support staff so they can look specifically if something can be done

Room 103 is far from congested globally (as you can see on our weathermap), we used to have global issues in the past but we fixed that a while ago by adding 2 new routers and uplinks to the room ( https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=69 )

Mik

Thanked by 2rm_ Rolter
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2016

@mikmak

I always hoped that the "No guaranteed bandwidth" thing only becomes important when the rest of network is congested and when you want to "protect" your premium customers. I did not know that it means that you just don't care or even actively throttle those connections. Because if the room is far from being congested, then this is the only explanation.

No offence taken. I know that my EUR 19.99 server is a fantastic bang for the buck. It's just that I always hoped that the "No guaranteed bandwidth" would never be a problem in real life because of the size of your network.

• @amitz I did not say we don't care, I said to ask our support staff to look into it for any issues on your local switch
    these servers and network are at least 6 years old now, you can't expect the same level of quality than newer infrastructure but it does not mean we are not working to fix issues when we find them, so ask our support staff and they will check

Thanked by 3Amitz zeitgeist Rolter
  • My experience with online support is great and quick, even for the free sla level. If you have a problem, you should contact them and see what they say. Having a 1.99 server should make no difference.

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited March 2016

Got two "limited" servers. While there appears to be a small (unscientific) difference between them, I guess, it doesn't look as bad or anything out of the ordinary.

DC2, Room 103:

./speedtest-cli 
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Testing from ONLINE S.A.S. (195.x.x.x)...
    Hosted by FreeMobile (Paris) [1.59 km]: 2.259 ms
    Download: 909.18 Mbit/s
    Upload: 402.27 Mbit/s

DC3, Room 4:

./speedtest-cli 
    Testing from Free SAS (62.x.x.x)...
    Hosted by FreeMobile (Paris) [1.30 km]: 1.895 ms
    Download: 908.22 Mbit/s
    Upload: 637.95 Mbit/s

• memozmemoz Member

Talked to online's support. They don't think there's a problem with their network. But I'm not convinced. A copy of the ticket is available here if anyone's interested: https://gist.github.com/memoz/959ca1f9cdc646f6bd18

• krishnapkrishnap Member
    edited March 2016

is this normal(DC3, Room: 4)?:

./speedtest-cli
    Testing from Free SAS (62.x.x.x)...
    Hosted by FreeMobile (Paris) [1.59 km]: 3.688 ms
    Download: 242.64 Mbit/s
    Upload: 9.87 Mbit/s

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • unn4m3dunn4m3d Member
    edited March 2016

Same Location:
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from Free SAS (62.x.x.x)... Selecting best server based on latency... Hosted by FreeMobile (Paris) [1.59 km]: 1.916 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 790.01 Mbit/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 624.99 Mbit/s

memoz said: Talked to online's support. They don't think there's a problem with their network. But I'm not convinced. A copy of the ticket is available here if anyone's interested: https://gist.github.com/memoz/959ca1f9cdc646f6bd18

That is so typical of Online. Its apparently never their issue, their network apparently never drops packets, apparently it never looses speed, and apparently it is every one else's fault, all of the time.

• memozmemoz Member

@hawc said:
    That is so typical of Online. Its apparently never their issue, their network apparently never drops packets, apparently it never looses speed, and apparently it is every one else's fault, all of the time.

Well, if there's another marketing campaign, I'll know what to expect. Their cash flow must've been positive by now as we're seeing heavy investments.

Anyway, I just want to know what percentage of limited edition servers are like this and how many are out there. If this is too typical, then people shouldn't just throw their money at it and hope for the best.

• @memoz said:
    Talked to online's support. They don't think there's a problem with their network. But I'm not convinced. A copy of the ticket is available here if anyone's interested: https://gist.github.com/memoz/959ca1f9cdc646f6bd18

Honestly, give up with Online. The network is okay but the staff is just... ugh. There's a few there that are good but for the most part my experience at Online was good until I was accused of sending outbound DDoS attacks... (Which they had no evidence they could provide and then the second time they finally admitted a fault in their system.)

I will be bluntly honestly, @mikmak doesn't care about clients and thinks his network is perfect.

I know that no network is perfect and issues occur and mistakes happen but I don't expect to be told that "If the network said you did it, you did it." when staff then prove my point.

Not to mention this was the IP I was accused of attack previously:

This company isn't worth the effort honestly. IT took them about 6 weeks to implement country changing... Because nobody has EVER moved to a different country before?!

• memozmemoz Member

@IThinkUFailed That's ouch! Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone.

I'm under the impression that @mikmak, Thibault and others are just doing everything "by the book", which means "you are not worth my time if you have to ask". You can't hold the company responsible for not promising anything, so take it or leave it.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2016

There is no packet loss. There is no congestion.
    There is no problem with the network.
    There is no difference in quality between DC2 and DC3.
    All events are isolated and limited to the limited.

• FalzoFalzo Member

guess I am somewhat lucky...

Datacenter: DC2, Room: 103, Line: K, Rack: 4

Testing from ONLINE S.A.S. (195.154.222.176)...
    Hosted by FreeMobile (Paris) [1.59 km]: 6.061 ms
    Download: 917.58 Mbit/s
    Upload: 572.83 Mbit/s

• @memoz said:
    IThinkUFailed That's ouch! Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone.

I'm under the impression that mikmak, Thibault and others are just doing everything "by the book", which means "you are not worth my time if you have to ask". You can't hold the company responsible for not promising anything, so take it or leave it.

By the books? Haha... I was called a wanker in french by a member of the Online staff. Mikmak told me looking into my issue would be a waste of time.

Honestly, I pay OVH about 4x more and I've never been happier. Not had a need to contact OVH yet.

• Their ams-ix peering has been congested for weeks and they don't care.
    I already got complaints from some users.

Thanked by 3Winne Amitz vimalware
  • memozmemoz Member

By the books? Haha... I was called a wanker in french by a member of the Online staff. Mikmak told me looking into my issue would be a waste of time.
    >

Honestly, I pay OVH about 4x more and I've never been happier. Not had a need to contact OVH yet.

"wanker"? Learned a new word today...

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2016

@boernd:
    The AMS-IX congestion is hilarious! I had to transfer 2 TB of data between Leaseweb and Online.net this week. It was pure horror! 2 Mbps at some point. I then moved the data from Leaseweb to OVH RBX (500 Mbps+ all of the time) and then from OVH to Online.net, which was fast too. The detour was MUCH faster than the direct way. Ridiculous.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • IThinkUFailed said: By the books? Haha... I was called a wanker in french by a member of the Online staff. Mikmak told me looking into my issue would be a waste of time.

Wanker in English or Branleur?

Extreme terms to use with a customer :)

Surprised there isn't a Room 103 Refugee Deal.

• hawc said: Surprised there isn't a Room 103 Refugee Deal.

Tempting, depends whats in there ;)

@mikeyur?

edited March 2016

Ideally, it needs to have un-metered bandwidth, like Online does. Those spikes and times where there are no usage shows how bad the Online network is

But I doubt you could do that bandwidth level, plus 2x2TB disks with 16GB RAM for the pricetag.

• hawc said: Ideally, it needs to have un-metered bandwidth, like Online does. Those spikes and times where there are no usage shows how bad the Online network is

Unmetered isn't really the culprit, its about dimensioning the network to support it. If you're offering 100Mbps unmetered then you have to calculate the reasonable contention at each aggregation point in the network.

As a customer, I've never been a fan of unmetered because I want an expectation of what I can move across the network. If I buy a server with 10TB of transfer, then its reasonable to expect to be able to transfer 10TB. If you get 100Mbps unmetered then its not giving me any expectation of throughput, just the fact that my port is rate limited to a maximum of 100Mbps