Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commercialmedia woes. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Commercialmedia woes.

Comments

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

"I can't imagine what happens when a place like that gets DDoS'd or something goes really wrong."

If you're a small hosting company (like Mosaic) that uses their services and something goes wrong (like a hard drive crashing) you sit around waiting for them to fix it and your hosting customers get pissed and complain about the outage on WHT:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1233269

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@DomainBop said: you sit around waiting for them to fix it

I don't believe I'd use them for anything important. My apologies to the few here that offer VPS from them, I don't mean to undermine anyone, but I can't in good conscience say that it's a good idea to offer client services from it.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@rds100 said: @earl there is modern supermicro hardware without ipmi? I doubt it.

I thought with supermicro the IPMI was like an addon card you install into the mainboard not built into the board?

here is one supermicro x7dbe board that accepts the xeon L5420 not sure if this is the board that CM is using but should be similar, it says onboard support for IPMI and show options for the optional IPMI cards you can purchase separately..

• @rds100 said: @Maounique exactly. AFAIK lll current supermicro motherboards have IPMI.

That's not the only thing required for IPMI? You possibly need network ports, connect it up and even setup a VPN for access. They're already short on time.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@concerto49 said: They're already short on time.

Surely beats installing the OS manually ?

• i got mine after threatening for a refund, but it's still short 8GB of ram

• @fly,

What a hoot. Add yourself to the shorted by half RAM audience.

Sure they have plenty servers :) It is what it is. A fundraiser for them.

• @Maounique said: Surely beats installing the OS manually ?

They have to do this anyway since they include the initial OS install with the pricing.

• yop

@concerto49 said: They have to do this anyway since they include the initial OS install with the pricing.

Ah, sorry, didnt know that.

• Didn't this company attempt to murder @Spencer?

• What's that story about @Damian?

• @Nick_A said: This is a forum . You don't have to read any threads. Heck, you don't even have to be here.

I agree

• I was aware that I need to wait a long time when I saw the other thread. But I still go ahead and order.

• everything but customer service has been fine so far. nothing wrong with network or server, besides obviously half the ram missing

• Half the RAM missing is a pretty big problem. How about they don't start billing you until they get the 8GB of RAM?

• We are currently awaiting a shipment of memory and will install the additional memory as soon as it arrives

Thanks,

Jeff Martin
    Data Center Operations Manager
    Commercial Media Corporation

• They better double your ram for free

edited February 2013

@KernelSanders said: They better double your ram for free

They will, as soon as the memory arrives, they will put 8 more GB in at the cost of one reboot only :)

• @Damian said: Didn't this company attempt to murder @Spencer?

Yup! It was so scary!

• Mm... tell me more.

@Spencer said: Yup! It was so scary!

• Hmm.. the OP mentioned he would keep us updated but not a peep from him, maybe they murdered him too?

• @earl said: , maybe they murdered him too?

How about the guy that tour their datacenter before?

• @dnwk said: How about the guy that tour their datacenter before?

I thought that was Spencer..

• @earl said: I thought that was Spencer..

Yup that was me! It was very brutal, I try not to talk about it too much.

• What happened @Spencer with the datacenter visit? Whole bunch of buyers stung in the behind who would surely like to know where their server is spending it's time :)

• @Spencer - Yup that was me! It was very brutal, I try not to talk about it too much.

So, you took a tour of the datacenter and they threatened to kill you? That makes no sense, why would they just threaten you like that? Didya try to unplug all the servers? Hehe :p

@KernelSanders said: Didya try to unplug all the servers? Hehe :p

Only if successful, I can see those ppl at him throat :)

• @Maounique said: They will, as soon as the memory arrives, they will put 8 more GB in at the cost of one reboot only :)

Hmm i don't know. When i install new RAM i prefer to always run memtest for 24 hours (or at least a few hours). Just putting it in and powering the server would make me nervous :)

• Please report it here, if your server is delivered.