Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mandrill & Mailchimp news & Alternatives? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mandrill & Mailchimp news & Alternatives?

13»

Comments

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

Question to those who use Amazon SES.

How do you deal with "contact us" forms on your websites?

Amazon SES requires that you verify either sending domain name or e-mail address, which is impossible to do for each client who wants to send a request via a form (unless, of course, you do not put requestor's e-mail into the From: field)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

@dcc said:
    Question to those who use Amazon SES.

How do you deal with "contact us" forms on your websites?

Amazon SES requires that you verify either sending domain name or e-mail address, which is impossible to do for each client who wants to send a request via a form (unless, of course, you do not put requestor's e-mail into the From: field)

Those kind of contact forms are broken by many major email services now. The best way to go is to put your SMTP authenticated address in the From field and the customer's as a line item in the body, or a reply-to field at best.

Those forms went south quickly when people started using DMARC.

You wouldn't believe the tickets I got about those old style contact forms not working right when Yahoo started using DMARC and everyone else started following along.

Thanked by 3dcc 2khosts vimalware
  • dccdcc Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@jarland said:
    Those forms went south quickly when people started using DMARC.

Switching to Amazon SES could be a real head scratcher. Usually people test their forms with their own From: address of course (which would be authenticated in Amazon SES and hence you will receive the message). But then other people suddenly "stop writing you".

By the way, Mandrill did not mind this at all, we have been using it for quite a while.

I like the idea with the Reply-to address, this I will have to try out. Going to have to change and test MANY forms over the weekend.

Another thing to watch out for with Amazon SES - they seem to do something strange with the bounces and fbl. So far I have not found a reliable way to actually receive them w/o messing around with SNS.