Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Specials available - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Specials available

Comments

• @hawc said:
    Nice one Online - 18 hours and counting with no RAM replacement. Nice work.

i don't think they care if you cancel/refund your server or wait weeks.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • hmm, I guess I must be the only one around here, who is untroubled... let's sum up:

hard drives? used but in good shape.
    ram? no ECC, but didn't even recognize it was offered.
    OS? debian8/proxmox installed from their template, no issues, auto swap 1GB is fine.
    idrac? not used, no need to interfere.
    support? not needed.

price? 15,99 € for dedicated 1,8TB storage in raid 1 on an Gbps line in europe... (not to mention plenty of dedicated cpu power and ram too)

anything comparable? err... no.

so far perfect storage box, but that's just for my goals with it ;-)

have to say sorry to prometeus, cause this box will make me leave their good and reliable storage VM in amsterdam...

• Welp! Online is swapping my drive..

Thanked by 1Mathias
  • Going to ask and see if they can replace the memory on my 08161 with ECC - seeing as a few of you seem to be having some luck with that.

• Any ideia when they will have more of this offers ?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

jeromeza said: Going to ask and see if they can replace the memory on my 08161 with ECC - seeing as a few of you seem to be having some luck with that.

Prepare for a VERY long wait. Nearly 20 hours and counting now.

• @Falzo said:
    hmm, I guess I must be the only one around here, who is untroubled... let's sum up:

hard drives? used but in good shape.
    ram? no ECC, but didn't even recognize it was offered.
    OS? debian8/proxmox installed from their template, no issues, auto swap 1GB is fine.
    idrac? not used, no need to interfere.
    support? not needed.

price? 15,99 € for dedicated 1,8TB storage in raid 1 on an Gbps line in europe... (not to mention plenty of dedicated cpu power and ram too)

anything comparable? err... no.

so far perfect storage box, but that's just for my goals with it ;-)

have to say sorry to prometeus, cause this box will make me leave their good and reliable storage VM in amsterdam...

I got one that like online.net offer :D
    I'm lucky customer. <3

• what do you think about this :

Error counter log:
               Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
                   ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
               fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
    read:   2601680073      149         0  2601680222   2601680224      15415.922           1
    write:         0        0         0         0          0      14086.148           0
    verify: 4133793748      188         0  4133793936   4133793936      51760.351           0

Non-medium error count:     1976

SMART Self-test log
    Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
         Description                              number   (hours)
    # 1  Background short  Completed                  16   41375                 - [-   -    -]
    # 2  Background short  Completed                  16   41114                 - [-   -    -]
    # 3  Background long   Completed                  16       6                 - [-   -    -]
    # 4  Background short  Completed                  16       1                 - [-   -    -]

Long (extended) Self Test duration: 18500 seconds [308.3 minutes]

should ask for drive replacement?

• I'm taking the plunge and am trying to explain to them that it's their iDRAC setup that is causing all these issues.

Can't configure a proper LVM setup now, so I'll have to go with the mediocre solution as long as they don't fix the iDRAC setup.

Thanked by 1zeitgeist
  • @Jazzy8999 - the drive is ultra old, but you need to make a long test again. If it passes it then it's fine.

Thanked by 1Jazzy8999
  • @Neoon said:
    Well, My E3 stucks since 3 Hours+ at Installation since i changed to Software Raid 1.

Still waiting for Support response.

I've already said this happens . They are investing millions in new datacenters and cant improve this or their support. I find it unbelievable.

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited February 2016

@Spacedust said:
    Jazzy8999 - the drive is ultra old, but you need to make a long test again. If it passes it then it's fine.

Given the age of the disks and also that they may have already recorded some errors, I suggest adding regular raid and smart checks. For the raid, you can use the following repository (for Debian/Ubuntu-based distros): http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/DebianPackages

You should install the sas2ircu and sas2ircu-status packages.

For smart, I added the following /etc/smartd.conf config:

/dev/sg0 -d scsi -a -S on -s (S/../../6/02|L/(02|05|08|11)/01/7/01) -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
    /dev/sg2 -d scsi -a -S on -s (S/../../6/04|L/(01|04|07|10)/01/7/01) -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner

Basically, it runs short tests once every week, and long tests (which take around 300 minutes) every two months.

• Meanwhile my Kidechire keeps on ticking :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Seems some people have had luck with getting their RAM swapped out with ECC RAM as advertised. Myself, not so much - got a reply stating they can refund or I take it as it is...

Oh well - ECC isn't that important to me , but I figured i'd try get what was advertised!

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

@jeromeza said:
    Seems some people have had luck with getting their RAM swapped out with ECC RAM as advertised. Myself, not so much - got a reply stating they can refund or I take it as it is...

Oh well - ECC isn't that important to me , but I figured i'd try get what was advertised!

Well

"Victim of its success"

No matter how ;)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2016

My server was offline for about 36 hours, but they did swap my 08161's memory with ECC. Yay!

I got the "Sorry, we cannot replace the RAM" message. Gonna keep the server, but not happy.

• @sin said:
    Meanwhile my Kidechire keeps on ticking :)

Kidechire Are vary reliable.

• @hawc said:
    I got the "Sorry, we cannot replace the RAM" message. Gonna keep the server, but not happy.

I got the same. Seems a mixed bag - some got helped, and some didn't.

• We've got monday and still no new 2016 offer... :(

• Spacedust said: We've got monday and still no new 2016 offer... :(

Does your business depend on their new offer or what? We can't safely predict when they will release their new offer, so stop crying and wait like all the others.

• Asked online for a disk replacement. After 24 hours they say my whole server is defective and want to replace it. Data is gone but I got a new server. 40k drive hours and this server seems much slower than the first one I had. hm.....

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, even there fucking Proxmox template is broken, 89GB SWAP on Raid 0.

Jesus christ.

A reboot has killed my server #JustOnline.netThings

Thanked by 1boernd
  • @Neoon said:
    Well, even there fucking Proxmox template is broken, 89GB SWAP on Raid 0.

Jesus christ.

• @Spacedust said:
    We've got monday and still no new 2016 offer... :(

My guess is that they will start new offers/deals shortly after the 20th of a month, so that people cannot terminate their existing services before the end of the following month.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @zeitgeist said:
    My guess is that they will start new offers/deals shortly after the 20th of a month, so that people cannot terminate their existing services before the end of the following month.

Everybody say Monday 23:59 UTC. Dont know why. Many people say at the IRC

• unn4m3dunn4m3d Member
    edited February 2016

I experience high packet loss since yesterday.

Upload bandwith is really LOW.

This is the output from mtr -r --report-wide -c50 ping.online.net

Start: Mon Feb 29 21:55:45 2016

HOST: Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
    1.|-- 62-210-207-1.rev.poneytelecom.eu 38.0% 50 0.7 0.8 0.4 10.0 1.7
    2.|-- a9k2-45-s43-1.dc3.poneytelecom.eu 0.0% 50 1.9 0.9 0.6 2.2 0.3
    3.|-- 45x-s44-2-a9k2.dc3.poneytelecom.eu 0.0% 50 0.7 1.7 0.7 9.6 1.2
    4.|-- ping.online.net 0.0% 50 0.2 0.3 0.2 0.8 0.0

Let's see what support says. Any ideas what could cause the issue?

On SFTP transfers I regularly lose the connection and the download to my home machine fails.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2016

unn4m3d said: 62-210-207-1.rev.poneytelecom.eu 38.0%

Packet loss on intermediate hops is normal, if it doesn't propagate all the way to final destination, and on your mtr it doesn't.

What's your result of iperf -c ping.online.net?

unn4m3d said: download to my home machine fails

Which is... where exactly, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Zimbabwe, or in Paris next door to the DC?

• unn4m3dunn4m3d Member
    edited February 2016

@rm_ said:
    Which is... where exactly, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Zimbabwe, or in Paris next door to the DC?

Germany, which means really close to Paris. 40ms Ping.

Here ist the output from IPERF:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Client connecting to ping.online.net, TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)

[ 3] local 62.210.207.xxx port 34288 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 547 MBytes 459 Mbits/sec