Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone with a CommercialMedia dedi? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone with a CommercialMedia dedi?

Comments

• @HalfEatenPie said: I have a server with every budget dedicated server provider.

@jarland said: He's not kidding ;)

Hahaha, yeah I don't doubt it!!

• Just cancelled my not-yet setup dedicated from CommercialMedia. I was planning to use it for tasks that require a great network connection, but.. yeah. Not so great.

Hopefully they'll refund me within 2 weeks. Heh

• CM confuses me.

They sometimes answer emails in 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 2 weeks. It was really inconsistent.

• I hope you guys know that the network that these LEB servers are on isn't the same network as their regular qwest only network.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@wrox said: Hopefully they'll refund me within 2 weeks. Heh

It took us about 2 weeks to get a refund through emailing Mike consistently and +5 days for e-check to clear so not sure how quicker it'll be through ticket, I presume even longer?

• @Patrick I've been communicating with them and specifically Mike through mail.. I'll give them a week. I guess they're busy.

• @Spencer said: I hope you guys know that the network that these LEB servers are on isn't the same network as their regular qwest only network.

In all honesty it isn't just the network that causes the problem. As I have said from my experience and many others here saying they are receiving very poor communication which in turn means very poor customer service, the company lacks a lot on both ends of the spectrum either way.

• Hmm.. I have not even received my server but I already feel let down by all these negative comments.. and yeah that network stat looks terrible!!

• Judging by the test IP, they will be in completely different networks. It looks like they're using YellowFiber in Ashburn and YellowFiber's network is amazing.

http://bgp.he.net/AS40015

You guys are comparing apples to oranges.

• mhuang2286mhuang2286 Member
    edited January 2013

Traceroute to the IP (67.23.125.190) from the post goes through YF and the IP is in their IP space.
    1 192.30.***** (192.30*****) 0.630 ms 0.585 ms 0.563 ms 2 ae1-222.atl11.ip4.tinet.net (77.67.78.253) 0.538 ms 0.500 ms 0.474 ms 3 xe-3-2-0.was10.ip4.tinet.net (141.136.108.133) 15.714 ms xe-10-0-0.was10.ip4.tinet.net (141.136.108.141) 16.037 ms xe-7-1-2.was10.ip4.tinet.net (89.149.182.218) 16.028 ms 4 xe-4-3-0.er1.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.12.233) 15.305 ms 15.975 ms 15.050 ms 5 xe-0-0-0.er5.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.24.129) 34.081 ms 34.076 ms xe-1-0-0.er5.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.24.133) 15.931 ms 6 64.125.170.2.available.above.net (64.125.170.2) 17.267 ms 17.440 ms 17.080 ms 7 te-0-1-0-1.nvaiad-cor00.yellowfiber.net (67.23.118.141) 17.447 ms 17.918 ms 16.868 ms 8 te0-0-1-3.nvaiad-nod01.yellowfiber.net (67.23.118.137) 17.334 ms 17.351 ms 17.571 ms

Although right now the IP isn't responding to ping anymore. Looks like it's offline.

You guys are jumping ship to early when you haven't even gotten on the ship.

• @wrox said: I've been communicating with them and specifically Mike through mail

Did they OK a refund since the server hasn't been provisioned yet? Considering doing the same.

• @mhuang2286 said: You guys are jumping ship to early when you haven't even gotten on the ship.

Hey I'm still onboard, just not liking the direction it's going!!

• I ordered one on Thursday. They said up to 3 business days for setup, so if it's not provisioned by the end of business on Tuesday, I'll be requesting a refund. If it does get provisioned, hopefully the network is alright. I'm not planning on using the box for much, but I think it'll be sufficient for my use.

• For 100Mbps unmetered, to me that is HORRIBLE speeds\

Wget is single threaded, it's rather childish to whine without even understanding what you're whining about.

• As I just posted on Lowendbox:

Every traceroute yields Yellowfiber.net at last few hops.

The ad is a bit deceptive. CommercialMedia doesn’t directly deal with any upstream provider.

It appears that CommercialMedia colos in YellowFiber’s space, presumed to be in Equinix Ashburn.

YellowFiber has their “own network”. That network is dual homed with nLayer and Abovenet being their upstream providers:

see:
    http://bgp.he.net/AS40015
    http://bgp.he.net/AS40015#_graph4

• wroxwrox Member
    edited January 2013

@ihatetonyy said: Did they OK a refund since the server hasn't been provisioned yet? Considering doing the same.

Aye. They asked for my PayPal transaction ID.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@mhuang2286 said: You guys are jumping ship to early when you haven't even gotten on the ship.

Seriously, I see people talking about canceling before provision, because of network results from a different datacenter.

@Wintereise said: Wget is single threaded, it's rather childish to whine without even understanding what you're whining about.

When you can't wget over 200-300kb/s average, that speaks for itself. One shouldn't need to open that many threads to find a usable speed. Not complaining of course, like I said I just hop through Atlanta for a good connection and it's fine for what I need. But I'm also in Baltimore and the offer everyone is talking about here isn't even there.

• Theoretically, their offer in Ashburn should be better than Baltimore. Comparing 1 upstream to 2 upstreams. Upstream in Baltimore isn't really known for providing any great commercial service. Probably does some transit and end business connectivity in that Mid Atlantic region, but that's large extent of what they touch on.

Company making these offers gives me the creeps. Lots of posturing about things they aren't. Calling things their upstream or inferring such.

Add to that multiple company names (which seems oh so evilly common in this marketplace) and the spotty random customer service.

Until this company does something proactive to cleanup and deal, I'd avoid.

• @pubcrawler said: Company making these offers gives me the creeps. Lots of posturing about things they aren't. Calling things their upstream or inferring such.

Add to that multiple company names (which seems oh so evilly common in this marketplace) and the spotty random customer service.

Until this company does something proactive to cleanup and deal, I'd avoid.

That is 100% what I keep trying to say and more and more people are seeing. The company talks a big talk, makes false promises and lures people in who would not know any different. I want it to be known what they have done, while they may not be bad people they do not know how to run a business built on truth and pleasant customer service.

If this company had 10 techs and multiple people trying to handle things, of course there could be misunderstands and things that fall through but this is a small company with communication coming from basically one main person with another not far behind. From what I have read they are brothers so I know they communicate.

If a company is reputable, even new, you do not see this many people come out saying "be careful of these people." It seems they first came out with offers on WHT and other places under MegaColo and got banned in the process for some reason. After a bit of a wait they come out with this name, which they already had did not have deals under when I looked originally. Now they do.

You do not offer this hardware for this price without a reason, if it was doable by a reputable company one of them would be doing it. It is cheaper and double the ram and hard drive of what other companies are doing with L5420s in this price range.

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

Just wondering what you guys think regarding Proxmox or Vmware.
    I requested Proxmox to be installed so I don't have to worry about the licensing issue and the fact that I don't have to install the control panel in my machine like in Vmware.. just wondering what your thoughts are?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@earl I thought for proxmox you had to install their "OS"?

• I think we should all just relax and not make any false accusations until we actually get the servers we ordered in the actual datacenter advertised. (Not the Baltimore one) Since they colo with YellowFiber I am very optimistic about the network speed. YF is very well known around the northern VA area.

Why is everyone going so hard on a company they haven't even experienced for themselves yet... seems very unfair. You can't start shitting on a company if you don't even have a service with them yet.

• @rsk well proxmox is bare metal so it's a one go install.. No need to install the OS first.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@mhuang2286 said: You can't start shitting on a company if you don't even have a service with them yet.

Well I can vouch for them talking themselves up as a bit more than what they are, but it's not like that's a marketing angle I'm not more than used to by now.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@earl said: @rsk well proxmox is bare metal so it's a one go install.. No need to install the OS first.

Yes, that's what I meant :P

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited January 2013

"multiple company names (which seems oh so evilly common in this marketplace)"

MegaColo focuses on colo and unmanaged hosting while its parent Commercial Media is focused on colo, managed hosting, and new media/website and software development. Their "multiple company names" are actually both registered Maryland Corporations/LLC's which puts them a step above many LEB providers who use multiple names none of which are registered legal entities (and it definitely puts them several steps above one of the providers featured on LEB last week who plagiarized its AUP from another provider's site and claimed to be an LLC but there is no record in any state of an LLC with its name)

" It seems they first came out with offers on WHT and other places under MegaColo and got banned in the process for some reason. After a bit of a wait they come out with this name which they already had did not have deals under when I looked originally"

They got banned on WHT because their salesperson made the mistake of creating separate accounts for Commercial Media and MegaColo and creating two accounts on WHT is considered a crime punishable by death (banning),

Posting offers for bargain hunters and signature spamming in threads on WHT, LEB, and other webhosting forums isn't the only way for a hosting/colo company to get customers and sales (which may come as a shock to many hosting providers) . They've actually been offering hosting and colo "deals" under the Commercial Media name for a long time. Here are 2 examples:

http://www.fedspending.org/fpds/fpds.php?reptype=r&database=fpds&unique_transaction_id=d2e2333f77214fc12e5d82b4cd8cfb77&detail=3&datype=T&sortp=i

http://www.fedspending.org/fpds/fpds.php?reptype=r&database=fpds&unique_transaction_id=861165718aa52a43e02de6db1c52792d&detail=3&datype=T&sortp=i

"If a company is reputable, even new, you do not see this many people come out saying "be careful of these people"

If a company isn't reputable it is unlikely the Dep't of Justice/Drug Enforcement Administration would have awarded them multiple contracts...

• No doubt they are a real company. Many companies are technically real.

Issue is representations, delivery times and responsiveness to ticketing.

• Well I created the first thread about them here months ago so I guess I got my server before the masses/a big order influx that lead to them being on LEB. For the time I was with them they were good, set up time was as promised and the network in Baltimore was excellent (with Cogent + Qwest blend). Always maxed out 100mb across the Atlantic too (I don't understand why people dislike Cogent so much) and support was easy to get through to. I only ever needed to contact them a couple of times and Mike or Jeff would usually answer the phone/respond to tickets quickly enough.

Obviously now Baltimore is Qwest only but Ashburn has always been their better location as port speed upgrades (200mb unmetered, 1gbps etc) were only available there. I think we should probably give them a chance with Ashburn first and like it's been shown here, they're a big enough company with a lot of bigger clients than us as individuals are so I doubt they'd run off and take our money.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited January 2013

@Earl @rsk I thought proxmox you could install Debian first