Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone with a CommercialMedia dedi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone with a CommercialMedia dedi?

wroxwrox Member
edited January 2013 in General

Ordered and got a Dual Xeon L5420 server pending to be set-up since yesterday. Whilst waiting, I've been continously looking them up for valid reviews, but haven't seemed to found any (WHT excluded).

Does anyone with a dedicated server off them willing to share network, IOPS and similar test statistics? How long did your set-up take? Thank you in advance for sharing!

Comments

• dragontamerdragontamer Member
    edited January 2013

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5070/commercialmedia-anyone-used-them

I'm researching before buying. It sounds like they're new to the dedicated server business (despite advertizing that they've been around since 1997??). There were theories that they were consultants or something like that.

Anyway, since I'm doing things for a hobby site (and not professionally), I can afford downtime if it comes up.

• @wrox said: Ordered and got a Dual Xeon X5420

You mean L5420?

• wroxwrox Member
    edited January 2013

@dragontamer I actually read through that earlier but didn't find anything that satisfied me in terms of the information I requested above. Just didn't wanna wake an old thread up, I guess.

@earl Of course, thank you for pointing this out! Fixed it.

I've yet to see if someone has got their dedicated set-up.

• I am reposting this since it is relevant, I had said it in another thread where someone mentioned the deal:

I am only speaking from my own research which was not ultra deep but here goes: These people are the same as megacolo, commercial media is the parent company from what I found, not just megacolo being resellers. I got the offer as it was posted on WHT. I later posted asking if anyone knew what happened to MC since they disappeared off of WHT and I was told they were banned, never did find the reason.

I got basically the same config (8 gigs ram) from megacolo when they had it for 40 dollars and found the network to be horrid and I did a ticket about it which I was informed very frankly they cannot guarantee network usability.

I decided it was not worth my money so I set it to cancel at the END OF THE MONTH. I get an email asking if I still wanted to cancel, I replied yes at the end of the month. I receive a reply telling me that it will be cancelled immediately and I would receive a refund for the unused days (about 10). The refund never came and the server got cancelled immediately. After multiple days even weeks waiting I emailed again and received no reply to the refund never coming. I have a dispute with Paypal in right now.

I am not the kind to post bad mouthing a company but since they are offering here I felt I would share what happened to me.

For anyone interested, here is the benchmark I ran on the server when I got it: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/12/06/4moG9o9cKGzTpkzC

I do see this offer is in the "other" datacenter (http://megacolo.com/network-and-data-centers/), but I still would not trust this company.

Also adding this post from WHT ( http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1203722 ) where this was said "It's not colo though, it's Commercial Media. If you do a search, there have been a lot of negative/less-than-favourable reviews & comments about them."

Ok, I have done my part with the info, use it as you will.

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

I have experience with CommercialMedia, it's around 4 month ago.
    They promised to deliver the servers within a week, then I wait more than 3 weeks, finally got the servers. One is E3-1230V2 ($80) and One is the Dual Xeon L5420 ($40).
    The servers were decent, as they were working fine and had no issue at all.
    I then cancelled the servers as they never answered my email about upgrade, nor did they reply ticket.
    They said they've been around since 1997, however I didn't find any reviews about them, not even a mention in any page, that's wired for a early established company.

• @dearroy said: They promised to deliver the servers within a week, then I wait more than 3 weeks

Actually that is the main complaint I found at first, their long setup time. Mine took longer than promised in the offer/site but not horrible: ordered 11/28 and delivered 12/6.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

We run our backups to commercial media. Runs us around $75 for 4TB. Network could be stronger, but not for 100mbit unmetered at the price I pay. I'm quite pleased with it. They clearly talk themselves up to be more than they are every now and then, but whatever, the price should keep expectations at an appropriate level.

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

Commercial Media, they sound more like a Internet Marketing company more so than a data center.. Well for the price i'm not expecting much, it's a better deal than the AMD 2216 I was getting with Datashack, I just hope they will deliver the server in 3 days rather then weeks..

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

They say 5 days, so contact them on the 6th if not got :)

• Wow 5 days.. I had a similar spec server with dacentec and i think setup was like a day! But then again it was $70/month RTO, so at this price guess CM must be really bc..

• @earl, Dacentec's SLA is delivery of server in 24 hours.

Need to find setup guarantee and hardware replacement times (in case of failure) up front from a provider.

@jarland, are you just renting from Commercial Media?

Someone mentioned Megacolo as subsidiary company. Megacolo advertises their colo as being out of Equinix:
    "Equinix (DC2) Only."

Network at the Equinix location is touted by them as:

Cogent
    Comcast
    Qwest
    TW Telecom
    Wholesale Colocation reliability you can rely on:
    Uptime average of 99.9999%.
    More than 600 networks available for interconnection and traffic exchange via cross connects, peering, and Ethernet services from our Equinix location.

Sounds like a good place to be, but perhaps not so good from the dedicated/rental server from them (i.e. long lead times, unresponsive on ticketing, etc.).

@pubcrawler said: are you just renting from Commercial Media?

Yeah, renting at their baltimore facility.

• Any idea @jarland, what their upstream provider mix is out of Baltimore?

Been eyeballing their offers for a long time. Especially Megacolo offers for colo.

edited January 2013

@pubcrawler said: Any idea

One of my IPs. Let's just say backups go from Dallas to Atlanta to Baltimore, otherwise they'd take a week.

• See a bit of everything provider wise heading to their Baltimore location. Doesn't look too bad actually.

@jarland you mentioned a two site backup hop routine there. Take it throughput from say Dallas to Baltimore isn't real speedy?

• It appears @jarland, that Commercial Media, Baltimore has upstream of Qwest/Centurylink and from there everything else available.

HE's tool shows single upstream of Qwest. Which is frightening in this day and age.

See:

http://bgp.he.net/AS11288
    http://bgp.he.net/AS11288#_graph4

@pubcrawler said: Doesn't look too bad actually.

Was about to show you the output and now I'm wondering if something changed. Got an average of 30mbit to Dallas just now. All things considered, that's not bad.

• 30mbit to Dallas, not that's fine really.

Wondering if their facility in Baltimore is single homed. That could get ugly if outage real quick.

Baltimore facility is ground central in Baltimore. Few building away from City Hall.

edited January 2013

Well I wouldn't be using them for mission critical work. Sometimes the phrase "You get what you pay for" actually does apply. Maybe not as an argument against being a smart shopper, but at some point it's just math. They're giving people too much for too little for it to be anything above mediocre.

• @jarland

Do you know what they charge for an OS reload? is it like datashack you get one reload free a month or I heard they charge like $25 per reload..

Also did you get IPMI did not see it in the options menu..

• @jarland Would you mind doing a unixbench and IOPING/standard HDD-test and post it here?

• Baltimore was Cogent + Qwest before but they dropped Cogent. Not sure if they're going to keep the current Baltimore location once their new Baltimore DC is fully built/furnished.

• @earl said: IPMI did not see it in the options menu..

No you don't get IPMI

@wrox said: Would you mind doing a unixbench and IOPING/standard HDD-test and post it here?

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/12/31/J5TVBEgawUe36Ubt

@jkr1711 said: Baltimore was Cogent + Qwest before but they dropped Cogent. Not sure if they're going to keep the current Baltimore location once their new Baltimore DC is fully built/furnished.

Yep they're full Qwest now

• @HalfEatenPie said: No you don't get IPMI

Ok thanks, so you have a server with CM?

• @earl said: Ok thanks, so you have a server with CM?

I have a server with every budget dedicated server provider.

@HalfEatenPie said: I have a server with every budget dedicated server provider.

He's not kidding ;)

• @jarland said: He's not kidding ;)

True story. And I thought it was bad when it was just VPSes

• It looks a LOT like the same speed test from my server at MegaColo: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/12/06/4moG9o9cKGzTpkzC

For 100Mbps unmetered, to me that is HORRIBLE speeds. I run serverbear on every server I get and none have ever been that low and the way I felt the power of the server means nothing if the network is useless. Its like Sprint phones, you may get unlimited data transfer but if you never get a speed worth using (I rarely do, in a very populated and upgraded non-lte area), it makes it worthless to be able to have "all you can eat."

Service, communication and other problems aside, even at the current price it is useless in my view. I got one of the unmetered servers for 39.00 from wholesale internet and I get awesome transfer speeds and a good deal for the hardware.

edited January 2013

It's good for backups. You just have to find a good middle point to tunnel through most of the time. QuickPacket Atlanta playing that role for me at the moment.

• The network isn't worth it.

Below are the two serverbears I ran, each a month apart from each other.

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/12/31/J5TVBEgawUe36Ubt
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/11/23/xJ12aRcNfbOcHpcn