Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean lost our entire server - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean lost our entire server

Comments

• smansman Member
    edited February 2016

@mpkossen said:
    RAID card failure. Software RAID doesn't start to sounds to bad now does it?

The consensus now a days is that Software RAID is actually better for most things. SSD drives pretty much eliminated the last big justification the HW RAID card people had.

Cue the keyboard commando's/experts on everything saying I am wrong because....rebuild time...auto recovery...faster...argle bargle....lol.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@sman said:
    I'm saying that my eyes glazed over and I just switched off after the first sentence of your pointless rant.

Bucket of sunshine you are.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • sman said: The consensus now a days is that Software RAID is actually better for most things. SSD drives pretty much eliminated one last big arguments the HW RAID card people had.

The one where the RAID card was a single point of failure didn't cut it? ;-)

In all seriousness, I've seen too much trouble with RAID cards to still trust them. Especially considering the investment. For the couple of hundred bucks for a RAID card one could as well get SSDs.

• smansman Member
    edited February 2016

@mpkossen said:
    In all seriousness, I've seen too much trouble with RAID cards to still trust them. Especially considering the investment. For the couple of hundred bucks for a RAID card one could as well get SSDs.

Why use Software RAID when you can pay an extra $200+ and add an extra single point of (proprietary HW, proprietary RAID format) failure. What a deal!

I did a google search and the internet experts on everything who have a poorly maintained blog page tell me that HW RAID is better so there! I found several other pages at the top of the search of other guys who all searched each others pages and created similar (as in incestuous) content. So there you go...100% absolute fact.

Thanked by 2mpkossen trvz
  • My VM is destroyed as well. All the files' contents are now either

• Taylor Swift rocks!!!!
    • Jarland was here
    • It was just a misunderstanding.
    Thanked by 4jar netomx hawc MikePT
  • jarland said: Bucket of sunshine you are.

You could flip those last two words and make a Yoda meme ;P

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • @mpkossen said:
    RAID card failure. Software RAID doesn't start to sounds to bad now does it?

Motherboards fail too ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2016

Junkless said: Motherboards fail too ?

Probably not as often, but if we're taking this at actual value we still have to consider that this is one RAID controller in a huge farm of servers. At that scale to have a 0% hardware failure rate is simply not probable.

I'm not knocking software RAID though. I do question whether, at scale, failure rates would actually be improved by it. We are sitting here talking about one single RAID failure in a huge farm, after all.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

mpkossen said: RAID card failure. Software RAID doesn't start to sounds to bad now does it?

Well, you can just swap out the old RAID card with a new one of the same model, almost all newer RAID cards will allow you to import the configuration.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • smansman Member
    edited February 2016

@perennate said:
    Well, you can just swap out the old RAID card with a new one of the same model, almost all newer RAID cards will allow you to import the configuration.

Or just don't use one in the first place. Isn't there only 1 major player in the HW RAID card market now a days anyways?

@Junkless said:
    Motherboards fail too ?

Which justifies RAID cards how?

With SW RAID you can take one or both drives to just about any make/model server with any chipset and they will boot up. At least with Linux. WinBloz is a different story.

I can tell you from first hand experience. We have had HW failures and were up and running again in a few minutes by just moving to drives to a different server.

Thanked by 2GM2015 Amitz
  • I don't know much about RAID, but I assume that there is a risk of a failing controller writing junk data and ruining data consistency? If so, it seems critically important to use a more modern filesystem like ZFS or BtrFS with full data checksums (not just metadata) so that corruption can be detected and the RAID controller replaced before it ruins the filesystem.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2016
    1. Redundancy exists.
      1.1. Redundancy =/= 100% reliability.
    2. HA exists.
      2.1. HA =/= 100% reliability.
    3. Backup exists.
      3.1. Backup =/= 100% reliability.

4. Redundancy+HA+Backup =/= 100% reliability.
      4.1. There is no such thing as 100% reliability.

Thanked by 2Amitz Lee
  • edited February 2016

@tommy said:

> … I’m reaching out regarding your droplet. Earlier today, our Cloud Operations team was alerted to some performance issues affecting the physical server that hosts your droplet and immediately began investigating. Unfortunately, despite their recovery efforts and a filesystem check of the underlying disks, the damage was serious enough that this droplet was lost and not able to be restored.
    > 

source https://murze.be/2016/02/today-digitalocean-lost-our-entire-server/

Backup, Backup, Backup, Backup, Backup, Backup, Backup!!!

$15 credit for their mistake

We are DigitalOcean's immediate competitor but I would argue that they are indeed good. You should always keep backups even if the service provider is secure enough to not require you to keep any backup.

We have been up for 24 months straight and hence never lost any customer's data but still we prefer our customers keeping backups for worstcase scenarios.

Regards,
    Saurabh G
    Account Manager,
    Power Up Hosting, Inc

http://poweruphosting.com

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Lol! DO's immediate competitor! Ahahah!

Thanks for making me laugh at 4:44am! :D

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

MrGeneral said: Thanks for making me laugh at 4:44am! :D

Since when is Spain (or was it Portugal?) in a different time zone than Germany? I laughed at the same time, but for me it was 5:44am... ;-)

• DO immediate competitor

▲ you must be kidding (LET is the last place you wanna say that)

any you said it lets see where it goes from now on

• we only use HP servers for our clients and they all have RAID controllers P2xx, P4xx or P8xx. I have had only 2 RAID controller failures in 13 years and many hundreds of servers.

• SSG_PowerUpHosting said: We are DigitalOcean's immediate competitor but I would argue that they are indeed good.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to advise you that you are not DO's immediate competitor - that coveted position already belongs to TacoHost LLC. Therefore I must inform you that based on the Intercontinental Virtual Server Provider (IVSP) rankings, your current immediate competitor is NekkiHost plc, and up-and-coming provider who has yet to sell a single plan (or setup a website, purchase infrastructure or even register a domain name). Your championship match will take place on February 18th, the winner meets GoodHosting in the next round.

• sb56637 said: I don't know much about RAID, but I assume that there is a risk of a failing controller writing junk data and ruining data consistency?

Seen this happen on a popular LE* host (won't air out the company but it's one of the well reviewed one for quite a long time) and companies I've worked for, including on customer dedicated servers and a VPS node.

• @Nekki said:
    I'm sorry to advise you that you are not DO's immediate competitor - that coveted position already belongs to TacoHost LLC. Therefore I must inform you that based on the Intercontinental Virtual Server Provider (IVSP) rankings, your current immediate competitor is NekkiHost plc, and up-and-coming provider who has yet to sell a single plan (or setup a website, purchase infrastructure or even register a domain name). Your championship match will take place on February 18th, the winner meets GoodHosting in the next round.

Is www.nouptime.com competing on this one ?

• Rolter said: Is www.nouptime.com competing on this one ?

They surprisingly progressed to the second round after their match against Delimiter last week, when a sleeping admin dropped his slice of pizza onto the keyboard an accidentally allowed traffic through for 2 minutes.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
    edited February 2016

@Amitz said:

Portugal! :)

We're in GMT+0 right now.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

SSG_PowerUpHosting said: We are DigitalOcean's immediate competitor

Nekki said: your current immediate competitor is NekkiHost plc, and up-and-coming provider who has yet to sell a single plan (or setup a website, purchase infrastructure or even register a domain name).

Not really a fair comparison since they have 8,769 servers...

Thanked by 2MikePT robohost
    edited February 2016

@raindog308 said:

Nah, they simply forgot to change the default values from the template.

Thanked by 1raindog308

I enjoyed the breezy, conversational tone of their Terms of Use.

"If PowerUpHosting.com . is sued or threatened with a lawsuit from a third party because of something you do with the services, or as an affiliate you agree to pick up the tab if PowerUpHosting.com. is found liable or pays to settle the dispute."

Your honor, we cite our contract where the defendant agreed to pick up the tab...

Thanked by 1MikePT

@raindog308 said:
    I enjoyed the breezy, conversational tone of their Terms of Use.

"If PowerUpHosting.com . is sued or threatened with a lawsuit from a third party because of something you do with the services, or as an affiliate you agree to pick up the tab if PowerUpHosting.com. is found liable or pays to settle the dispute."

Your honor, we cite our contract where the defendant agreed to pick up the tab...

Please take a screenshot. That is hilarious, ridiculous and non-existing. Hahaha! Can't believe that it's really there!

• @raindog308 said:

UNDER 9000. Pfft

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • SSG_PowerUpHosting said: Regards, Saurabh G Account Manager, Power Up Hosting, Inc

http://poweruphosting.com

Dear Immediate competitor, you might need to check font files of your website. It looks pretty awful without those fonts

Thanked by 2raindog308 MikePT
  • dailydaily Member
    edited February 2016

Ah.. I see. Yes.. I do certainly understand what is going on. I wasn't aware the Linux kernel had made it past version 3, but why would you ever not pick eight!?

Plans have no specs, simply prices.