Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean lost our entire server - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean lost our entire server

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2016

raindog308 said: No one pays to use DO, do they?

Thankfully they do, I like having a job :)

I know people like to jab DO all the time for the credit given, but speaking of Azure, they've provided generous amounts of credits/trials as well :P

raindog308 said: Each server has its own local SSD array and the inter-node networking is insane enough to support their "six copies of data around the world" SLAs.

That's quite interesting but I'm not sure that Azure is the baseline for quality virtualization, or very comparable to KVM VPS. Microsoft has a very unique product and a very unique set of resources that others might not have, and their setup is certainly subject to it's own imperfections just as any other platform.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • In DigitalOcean's defense, AWS, the original cloud, loses data as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3yv2db/aws_ebs_volume_data_loss_usgovcloudwest1a/

However, on the other hand Vultr claims to never have lost customer data (not counting when someone's been running abuse and got banned, …), despite being on the same magnitude as DigitalOcean. There has been criticism of them not disclosing their storage configuration a while back, but it does seem to work out better there.

At least until the cloud falls onto all of their heads.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Thanked by 1jar
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: That's quite interesting but I'm not sure that Azure is the baseline for quality virtualization, or very comparable to KVM VPS.

Actually, they do Linux VMs now (as well as Windows Server VMs of course) and have for a while - true, it's different than the typical LET host but comparable to AWS or Google Compute. I'm sure it's Windows hypervisor under the covers...they probably give themselves a break on the licensing...

Thanked by 2jar GM2015

raindog308 said: Actually, they do Linux VMs now (as well as Windows Server VMs of course) and have for a while - true, it's different than the typical LET host but comparable to AWS or Google Compute. I'm sure it's Windows hypervisor under the covers...they probably give themselves a break on the licensing...

Well you've definitely got me interested. Last time I recall I found their product offerings so unbelievably complex to navigate that I ran away and briefly considered EC2 to be simplistic. That's been a long while, maybe worth a view again :)

• From what I understand, the term "cloud" means

1) You can resize resources on demand (might require a reboot)

2) Hourly billing

HA, multiple locations, etc are not required by definition (as far as I'm aware).

• smansman Member
    edited February 2016

Been awhile since I used DO but assuming it hasn't changed, you get a KVM server, NAS backup/restore. I think I was able to choose what datacenter the backup was saved in too. That's it. Nothing really 'cloud' about that imho. Just VPS hosting + a fairly decent backup/restore feature.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited February 2016

sman said: What exactly is cloud anyways?

See:

Really good read:

https://vpsboard.com/topic/7485-widespread-misunderstanding-of-cloud-from-the-people-who-claim-that-there-is-a-widespread-misunderstanding-of-cloud/
    >

Another good read:

http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-145.pdf

As for:

sman said: Nothing really 'cloud' about that.

Then you're over thinking "cloud." Again, as I said earlier in the thread, that kind of misinformation can lead to confused buyers. This widespread misunderstanding of "cloud" leads people to purchase things and assume that they are more than they actually are. Propagating this false idea is doing far more damage than the simple, proper use of the word "cloud" by NIST standards that basically every hosting company is going by.

Note which of these two is more likely to cause buyer frustration:

"We sell cloud VPS."

"Cloud means high availability."

The second is false, mind you, and the hosting companies aren't the ones saying that.

Thanked by 2Junkless Kris
  • smansman Member
    edited February 2016

@jarland said:
    The second is false, mind you, and the hosting companies aren't the ones saying that.

Ya lost me but if you are trying to defend Digital Ocean and blame the customers then HAHAHA.

Cut/Paste in BIG HUGE LETTERS at the top of their front page.

DigitalOcean Simple Cloud Hosting,

edited February 2016

sman said: Ya lost me but if you are trying to defend Digital Ocean and blame the customers then HAHAHA.

Uhh... ok? Troll mode on I guess? Way to ignore intelligent discussion and just mash your keyboard there.

Thanked by 2J1021 netomx
  • @jarland said:
    Uhh... ok? Troll mode on I guess?

Oh and a cloud icon at the very top....lol. Care to revise your statement?

sman said: Oh and a cloud icon at the very top....lol. Care to revise your statement?

So you're saying that my post was over your head? Because I've addressed that very plainly.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • @jarland said:
    Uhh... ok? Troll mode on I guess?

CC @Nekki

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland said:
    I like have a job

Glad my $120+ a month is paying your wage, couldn't go to a better person.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2016

@ATHK said:

Thanked by 3ATHK netomx letbox
  • @jarland said:

Don't tell me, you follow @SwiftOnSecurity on Twitter as well?

• @ATHK said:

I take you got a cluster of droplet's then.

0xdragon said: Don't tell me, you follow @SwiftOnSecurity on Twitter as well?

Always!

• @jarland said:

In the time it took me to look at that PIC Taylor swift must made at least $120

Thanked by 1jar
  • Booyah!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @raindog308 said:
    But at least it's better than OpenNebula, right?

What's wrong with OpenNebula?

• So we could say it was ** Lost At Sea?**

I only came here to crack a phase. Sucks but backup

Thanked by 1Riz
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited February 2016

This is exactly why you should NEVER EVER trust a provider to back up YOUR data for YOU. Spend a few more bucks and throw in some off-site redundancy in the equation if the data is even slightly important.

Result = Easy to restore data or spin up a new droplet = Less Downtime = Less Stress = Higher Productivity = Profit!

Thanked by 2jar sb56637
  • For people riding bareback, sans backups here are some sane examples:

I keep 3 backup servers, 3 different countries, but that's me. Keep them away from your main web host, and preferably at a host that doesn't know you enough to snoop in your files. KVM? Encrypt it. Bare-metal? Encrypt it. You want to be nothing more than $$$ to the host.

If you don't choose any backup for your $5 server (or droplet) that is just your mistake.

I hate those who get a $5 server or dedicated server per month & when the perfect storm emerges they open tickets every 5 minutes. Why? Because their wive's uncle's business plans for the Kyoto merger are there. PITA, lies mostly, and probably just waiting on their TE server to come back up.

At the end of the day people seem to forget these are unmanaged machines, which I've preferred to call "self-managed" when I worked in the low end industry, starting back at HVH.

Self-managed empowers the user, and lets them know they are the master of their domain. When it comes to lack of backups and no DR plans, you can only look at yourself.

If you're paying RackSpace or FireHost money, feel free to cry away to their fanatical support, which you pay for.

If you pay under $10 dollars and don't have at least daily backups, check out: Wix, WPEngine or Zoho.

Thanked by 3Lee jar MikePT
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited February 2016

Kris said: For people riding bareback

I always wear a condom while posting on LET. You never know what you could catch around here.

• lbft said: I always wear a condom while posting on LET. You never know what you could catch around here.

Thanked by 3netomx Four20 DETio
  • 20:12:38 up 402 days,  5:05,  0 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.05

One of my droplet. :D

• RAID card failure. Software RAID doesn't start to sounds to bad now does it?

• smansman Member
    edited February 2016

@jarland said:
    So you're saying that my post was over your head? Because I've addressed that very plainly.

I'm saying that my eyes glazed over and I just switched off after the first sentence of your pointless rant.

• smansman Member
    edited February 2016

@budi1413 said:

20:12:38 up 402 days,  5:05,  0 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.05

One of my droplet. :D

Your point? A windows user might be impressed by that though so kudos.

Not sure if DO does rebootless kernel updates but if not then all that tells me is your host kernel is vulnerable.