Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EUR 9.99 VIA Nano dedicated server from Online.net - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EUR 9.99 VIA Nano dedicated server from Online.net

13»

Comments

• @Mati said:
    is someone really willing to pay 10E/month for this?????

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/08/01/cKWNuLR5RWV87SCn

It's really poor and it's only single core! They are making it ssd cached 500gb drive in the future, but still the processor is just not good enough.

• @sc754 said:
    It's really poor and it's only single core! They are making it ssd cached 500gb drive in the future, but still the processor is just not good enough.

They are offering 500GB hybrid SSD + on the current deal.

• @ultimatehostings said:

Isn't that fr only at the mo?

• @sc754 said:
    Isn't that fr only at the mo?

Yeah, I don't think they have other locations.

• got a server. ordered 8 mins ago. got it now. only £10

• MatiMati Member
    edited September 2013

@ultimatehostings said:

so at least it might be useful as storage box, just weird they don't advertise it

@TarZZ92 said:
    got a server. ordered 8 mins ago. got it now. only £10

got with 500GB HDD?

• No way, of course with an 160G standard HDD.
    But the 30EUR one were available for the foreigners 2 days ago(ca. 20 server), sold out yesterday.

• No I mean I think it's for fr customers only isn't it?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

500GB Hybrid is FR only, 160GB is international.

• @Matt

Nope only 160GB :(

• This made me laugh. Cpu is irrelevant in a router? Really? I think you need to go back to school. Idiot.

@shovenose said:
    yes, they are fine for stuff where performance is irrevelant, like a router, etc. but for a desktop computer or server they crawl.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@luma for ISDN and GPRS yes :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@luma said:
    This made me laugh. Cpu is irrelevant in a router? Really? I think you need to go back to school. Idiot.

In his defense I have to say that cpu can be irrelevant in a router and it probably is for 100 mbps. My MIPS router with DD-WRT/Tomato/OpenWRT can do a lot on an 100 mbps line (OK, usually works at about 70% of that as it is best effort) including VPNs, wireless filtering and QoS. Mind you, I am not running 100k torrents in parallel, but it does cater for at least one Tor node non-stop and does encrypted iSCSI traffic over VPN in the same time as fast as 3-7 MB/s without overclocking (@300 Mhz).
    Since I presume nobody will use their VIA CPU for higher routed/encrypted traffic it should suffice as a router with plenty to spare.
    I like those via cpus, if you remember via was there before intel with their atoms, it just lacked the marketing muscle to gain a sufficient market share, I have a perfect i686 brick with VIA c7 and CF as disk, completely silent, it is not as efficient as latest atoms, nor as powerful, but it came at about 30 Eur second hand and i never needed more, at least so far.

• @luma said:
    This made me laugh. Cpu is irrelevant in a router? Really? I think you need to go back to school. Idiot.

If all features are hardware accelerated (Crypto, forwarding,..), yes :)

• @luma said:

I am not sure if VIA Nano is good enough for a router, but it is capable of handling 14300 requests/second running haproxy.

"even with a 15EUR/month dedibox consisting on a single-core Via Nano
    processor and which runs nf_conntrack, I can achieve 14300 req/s"
    http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg07154.html

• the VIA cpu is fine. runs plesk with medium load fine. just like the atom

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

To clarify, I meant a consumer router like Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link, D-Link. Not an enterprise-grade one you'd fine in a datacenter.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

ninja edit

• has anyone found the Bandwidth info, fup etc yet?