Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EUR 9.99 VIA Nano dedicated server from Online.net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EUR 9.99 VIA Nano dedicated server from Online.net

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited January 2013 in General

http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-sc

Anyone already has one? How is it? Any caveats when ordering/etc?

From what we figured out in LET IRC, you do not have to be in France to order, and can now (finally?) do so from a page that is in English (not French): http://console.online.net/en/order/server
apparently there might be a 60 EUR setup fee, unless you pay for a year in advance; but it might be not entirely clear how exactly to choose to do that :D
Also the setup fee or a lack of it is not shown until you register, which is kind of inconvenient/shady.

Comments

• Online/free have been around for a decade+, nothing at all shady about it - but yeah, there's a 59.99 EUR setup fee.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Wintereise
    It says in multiple places on the product page, in french on white

sans frais d'installation !

Frais d'installation Offerts

Engagement de durée Aucun <- "No time commitment"

So I find it bizzare they would still require it unless on a yearly pre-payment.

• Befure someone going to resell them or use for VPS selling
    be aware! you can only have 10 servers max with them

• Is this one better than the kimsufi atom? I see they give you 1gbit, or did I read this wrong?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Via CPUs suck. Atom is way better :)

• @ztec said: Is this one better than the kimsufi atom? I see they give you 1gbit, or did I read this wrong?

1Gbit in 100mbps out

• VIA is decent, used in a lot of routers, controllers, etc

yes, they are fine for stuff where performance is irrevelant, like a router, etc. but for a desktop computer or server they crawl.

• @shovenose said: yes, they are fine for stuff where performance is irrevelant, like a router, etc. but for a desktop computer or server they crawl.

In 2002 I had a server powered by a Cyrix C3 700mhz CPU saturating 100mbit serving files from a 20gb HD with Apache. I would imagine that their CPUs have not regressed from that point

Try to run a busy site using WordPress or something, then let me know how that goes :)

• If I had a busy website using Wordpress, i'd probably be making enough revenue off of it to be able to spend more than 10 EUR/month

Haha that is definitely true! But I still think a $10 VPS will outperform that $10 dedicated server.

• @shovenose said: But I still think a $10 VPS will outperform that $10 dedicated server.

Definately. Some people like the "this castle is my castle!" feeling of their very own DS, though, so it's still a good product.

True... I think the nice thing about dedicated servers is the consistency of the performance; with a VPS there could be another customer raping the resources thus slowing your server down too.

• NeoNeo Banned

Better to order from OVH the Atom ones for 15Euros

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Damian said: If I had a busy website using Wordpress, i'd probably be making enough revenue off of it

Well, some don't like trying to cash in on their hobby websites, or just enjoy giving their visitors an ad-free and google-tracking-free viewing experience.

@Neo said: Better to order from OVH the Atom ones for 15Euros

I like OVH and have two Atoms from them (and hence not ordering on this offer), but I know for sure that for some people "Not from OVH" will be a major selling point on its own.

In any case, it is much better to have two providers offering 10 EUR dedis, than to have only one in the whole world.

Now only if someone who cares enough to want to order one would figure out what's up with the setup fee (maybe even contact their support about this?)

• Doesn't online.net only sell to residents of france anyways?

• @FluX said: Doesn't online.net only sell to residents of france anyways?

Few days ago they opend option to order to everyone in the world but still they have limitions like max 10 dedicated servers per client

• I can verify they hate Americans. :P Joking, but they did not allow me to buy one. I was under no VPN or any sort of proxy. I'm curious if they have an announcement where they say they opened it up?

By the way, I tried this at 1:30AM CST :P

• *edit - after verifying e-mail and paypal.

• I'm sorry, I lied. There was just ~1 hour or so delay in saying paypal was confirmed and it showing up on their end, they are all ready to take my money! Feel free to delete the above babble as it has now become insignificant.

• @zeds said: I'm sorry, I lied. There was just ~1 hour or so delay in saying paypal was confirmed and it showing up on their end, they are all ready to take my money! Feel free to delete the above babble as it has now become insignificant.

Check the price they taking money for setup server

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited January 2013

@shovenose said: Via CPUs suck. Atom is way better :)

@Neo said: Better to order from OVH the Atom ones for 15Euros

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=VIA+Nano+U2250+(1.6GHz+Capable) -> 377 Passmark

http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+230+@+1.60GHz -> 312 Passmark

• @dosserversca Check the price they taking money for setup server

59.99euro.. yea no thank you.

• japonjapon Member
    edited January 2013

@dosserversca said: Check the price they taking money for setup server

Where do you see that?

• @japon said: Where do you see that?

start making an order and you will see after you create account it will show you the cart with installation fee :)

• Maybe if you pay yearly no installation fee?

• dosserverscadosserversca Member
    edited January 2013

http://i.imgur.com/bBMGS.png
    ther is no yearly option

• @dosserversca said: start making an order and you will see after you create account it will show you the cart with installation fee :)

Well, then that's a simple error that can be fixed by the billing department.

• @japon said: Well, then that's a simple error that can be fixed by the billing department.

Billing told me it's supposed to be there (I think, there's a bit of a language barrier).