Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everytime i find a new provider with DDOS protection i get hit with DDOS attack - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Everytime i find a new provider with DDOS protection i get hit with DDOS attack

Comments

• How many Mbps/ Gbps are they using to bring your 3 servers down?
    What is your bottleneck (cpu, ram, or network)?

Are you sure that those Ddos are not just "too many regular users" (and something went wrong somewhere and they hammer those servers more than what they should)?

If the load and ram is ok, maybe you just need to upgrade the network.
    If load is high maybe you need a dedicated server.

Sometimes it's easier to have a more powerful hardware and take the attack directly (cheaper) that to just try to get ddos protection (expensive), but depends on the network.

If you're using 3 vps, perhaps you can put them in 3 geographic places and use anycast to distribute the load (but it won't help if your users are all local).

You could script to launch more cloud servers (behind a load balancer such as haproxy) if your boxes are being taken down because of cpu or ram... Amazon has some features for this (load balance + auto spawning new cloud servers in high load).

It all comes down to how much you can pay.

One OVH game server i7 4770 should take some work to bring down (but you need to upgrade the network https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/guaranteed-bandwidth.xml). They also have load balancing quite cheap: https://www.ovh.com/us/solutions/ip-load-balancing/

This are just ideas though.

Thanked by 1Four20
  • Well, OP clearly looks for a vps.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2016

@linuxthefish said:
    If there is anyone who knows anything about DDoS attacks it's Francisco at BuyVM. They use Voxility but with some custom secret sauce or something

Not the cheapest but they will keep you online. How are you testing packet loss? By default Voxility blocks ICMP/ping when under attack.

Teamspeak 3 reports the packet loss if you right click on a user (usually yourself). For the most part Voxility is fine, even under a flood, but you will get the odd spike in latency (<= 1% ) and this can sometimes cause a disconnect or a minor dip in voice quality.

We did have some non Voxility related packetloss in Luxembourg earlier last year but that's related to the router in LU and not anything on Vox's side. Still, people that aren't eating 50~100gbit floods on a constant basis usually don't want to have that random 1% loss once in a while.

Vox is supposedly rolling out a fairly extensive API that should allow customization of rulesets, but i'm not sure if it's actual filtering profiles or just basic layer 4 ACL's. Still, one of my cases last week was a person that had the random packetloss even while in sensing mode. To be fair I was always told after the fact so I don't know if he got smacked, thrown into always on, and later came out of it.

I might give away some free TS hosting for a few months just to get a better testbed/sample size of what happens. See if it's a specific ISP that has more issues than the others or if there's something else going on. I don't have an easy way to capture my own data at home so I can't compare each packet to make sure it arrived properly.

Francisco

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @chrisp said:
    Did you try OVH? Not that I would recommend using them, I would just be interested how good they do in real attack scenarios.

From my experience, there are some serious flaws with OVH.

Beyond the fact the DDoS protection is easily bypassed, you can expect random downtime via short 1-3 minute interruptions quite frequently everyday.

If you run a mission critical service, OVH is definitely not for you.

• I can vouch, that BuyVM does have some good service, but recently I have been experiencing some slight problems in LU. Possibly due to anycast or routing configuration, anyway it is being looked into, so possible updates soon to come from me or Francisco. Only affecting % of users connecting through LU node. Note: problem seems to be isolated to my machine only (and the OP I guess according to his post).

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited January 2016

NickL said: you can expect random downtime via short 1-3 minute interruptions quite frequently everyday.

Under DDoS? Never seen this in RBX and BHS with non ddos traffic, but their Strasburg location sucks both for mitigation and network tbh

EDIT: My VPS is always a bit flakey with a lot of packet loss, but i run high traffic through it and it's a shared connection so won't be perfect.

• It's pretty easy to find the hosts that can handle DDoS and not interrupt TS3 traffic at the same time. Just go trough http://www.gametracker.com/search/ts3 top 15 server ip-s. You will find out that most of them are hosted by hosteam.pl(using it currently) or OVH (probably with GAME protection + some firewall rules).

• Also, this might seem obvious, but... have you tried changing your IP's and hide behind cloudflare?

• @linuxthefish said:
    EDIT: My VPS is always a bit flakey with a lot of packet loss, but i run high traffic through it and it's a shared connection so won't be perfect.

Under DDoS you can expect several hours of downtime+ (it's as long as the attacker wants to keep you offline).

The interruptions I am referring to, are under no DDoS and this problem is consistent across multiple different dedicated servers. Every machine in the DC is affected at the exact same time (likely a network problem).

I have dedicated server in BHS and know multiple people who do as well, so it is more than just your VPS.

I just paid the bill for one of my OVH servers again today, but definitely will not be next month.

• @gratispt said:
    Also, this might seem obvious, but... have you tried changing your IP's and hide behind cloudflare?

Cloudflare doesn't work for TS3. http://i.imgur.com/3oSalux.png

• @NickL said:
    The interruptions I am referring to, are under no DDoS and this problem is consistent across multiple different dedicated servers. Every machine in the DC is affected at the exact same time (likely a network problem).

Could it be a problem from the monitoring service you're using?
    I'm asking because I also monitor my servers (from home) there and noticed zero downtime.

Perhaps you're monitoring from far away (latency)?

• NickLNickL Member
    edited January 2016

@gratispt said:
    Perhaps you're monitoring from far away (latency)?

My monitoring services only pickup the interruptions some of the time (probably due to not small enough check interval).

I run a few websites which are rank <100K Alexa, so if there are any interruptions I know it about it pretty much instantly.

Also I have seen first hand, every time my servers are offline other people with server in BHS are offline.

Also it's irrelevant considering how absolutely terrible the protection that OVH offers is. Some kids with a booter from Egypt were able to toy with my server easily.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Softlayer.

• NickLNickL Member
    edited January 2016

@AnthonySmith said:
    Softlayer.

This should be moved to cest pit. SoftLayer has absolutely zero DDoS protection, and is known to be one of the #1 spam providers in the world.

• oalaro said: Just go trough http://www.gametracker.com/search/ts3 top 15 server ip-s

104.244.79.225 seems to be very funny. Absolutely not a cracked teamspeak, and listened on the public server list... @Francisco

• @Frecyboy said:
    104.244.79.225 seems to be very funny. Absolutely not a cracked teamspeak, and listened on the public server list... Francisco

Well it's a good thing you aren't a representative of TeamSpeak or BuyVM. Francisco isn't obligated to perform any form of intervention.

Thanked by 1Four20
  • NickL said: Well it's a good thing you aren't a representative of TeamSpeak or BuyVM. Francisco isn't obligated to perform any form of intervention.

Okay my market leader.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited January 2016

NickL said: Well it's a good thing you aren't a representative of TeamSpeak or BuyVM.

Why, is that your teamspeak by any chance?

• @Frecyboy said:
    Why, is that your teamspeak by any chance?

It's irrelevant to this discussion, please move these posts to the cest pit.

• NickL said: Francisco isn't obligated to perform any form of intervention.

1,3,2 - Any content that violates Canadian, United States, and Luxembourg laws.

So work around technical security measures is legal there, my market leader?

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • NickL said: It's irrelevant to this discussion, please move these posts to the cest pit.

To make you happy.

@OP Look for providers using first-colo or go with hosteam.

• NickLNickL Member
    edited January 2016

@Frecyboy said:
    So work around technical security measures is legal there, my market leader?

You don't know that's a cracked TeamSpeak. Only a TeamSpeak representative would know. As such, Francisco would only intervene upon official request from TeamSpeak.

• @oalaro said:
    Just go trough http://www.gametracker.com/search/ts3 top 15 server ip-s.

Gave a link where to look up the ip-s.

@Frecyboy said:
    104.244.79.225 seems to be very funny. Absolutely not a cracked teamspeak, and listened on the public server list... Francisco

Still using public server list for top 15.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2016

@NickL yes they do, email the sales team for a quote for guaranteed uptime, fully managed and redundancy for a voice server that is under constant attack.

At some point people need to understand jumping between penny hosts is not the answer to your problem.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @Jonchun said:
    I hear AthenaLayer is the industry leader of DDoS protection.

Nick Lim got me at "industry leader"

• ddos is a tricky subject, your server can have ddos protection but it can still be affected. Really depends on the amount of data the protection can filter out. Some are much better than others of course.
    All companies are hit with ddos, even tech giants can't fully stop them.

• @davidgestiondbi can probably help you.

If you do want to get his servers, @Traffic can help you with a special deal.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited January 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    davidgestiondbi can probably help you.

If you do want to get his servers, Traffic can help you with a special deal.

I'm not sure, but OVH BHS should be a good location.

The special plans are available here:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/72845/gestiondbi-openvz-in-nj-la-atlanta-miami-canada-netherlands-and-london-from-6-35-year

Available in:

• Montreal, Canada (OVH BHS DC)
    • New Jersey, USA (Dupont Fabros Picastaway DC)
    • Atlanta, USA (Quadranet DC)
    • Miami , USA (Quadranet DC)
    • Dallas, USA (Quadranet DC)
    • Los Angeles, USA (Quadranet DC)
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Databarn AMS DC)
    • London, UK (Virtus London DC)
  • @Traffic said:

>

Yea OVH is what I meant. Not sure if any other locations have DDoS protection.

• @ceibaNet said:
    ddos is a tr1cky subject

Fixed that for you